Diacetyl In My Kegged Lager How To Clean It Up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 2 lagers in corneys that have been on gas for 6 days that I have now realize the "strange" taste I have is diacetyl. (who would of thought a lager with a strange flavour took me a week to figure out what it was :) )

So is there any way to "fix" this ?

I have taken the kegs out of the fridge to let them sit at 20 degrees, should I do any/all of the following.

1) Add some sugar to get the any of the yeast to fire up and keep it at 20 deg for 5-7 days
2) add some yeast or starter and leave it for 2-3 day at 20
3) do some krausening and leave for 2-3 days at 20

thanks
Matt

This happened to another brewer I know and he just sat the keg at room temp for a while (couple of weeks?) and vented some of the CO2 intermittently. It cleaned up to be a nice lager.

I wouldn't want to mess with it too much - time is your friend.

warming is the first option.

Other options are kickoff a little extra fermentation and dont crash chill it or add some more yeast during this period.

Hi All,

I have 2 lagers in corneys that have been on gas for 6 days that I have now realize the "strange" taste I have is diacetyl. (who would of thought a lager with a strange flavour took me a week to figure out what it was :) )

So is there any way to "fix" this ?

I have taken the kegs out of the fridge to let them sit at 20 degrees, should I do any/all of the following.

1) Add some sugar to get the any of the yeast to fire up and keep it at 20 deg for 5-7 days
2) add some yeast or starter and leave it for 2-3 day at 20
3) do some krausening and leave for 2-3 days at 20

thanks
Matt

You could just pretend that they are clones of beers from a certain vic micro... :ph34r:

Def warm up first mate to see if you can get the yeast to clean it up without too much intervention (but give it a little bit of time), otherwise kick start small fermentation again to rouse the yeast back to life.

You could just pretend that they are clones of beers from a certain vic micro... :ph34r:

Ta all, I will give it a few days at 20 then try again, if still dodgy I'll try a starter, if still dodgy then I bring it to beer fest as my contribution for friday and satdy drinks :ph34r:

I had a brewers pils from a particular micro on xmas day, thought how good it was, so I bought a box of that, god it's bad, I have some that are soo far over carbed and others that have no carb, the is no consistency between any of the stubbies.

At the same time I bought a box of dogbolter ($95) and the cost I almost felt like being a tight arse and say no thanks.

Happened to me a few times (especially with US05)

You will need up to a week. Keep gently shaking the keg and purging the co2 every day. I have had to repitch a bit of yeast in the past as I filter, so not much yeast left to do the job..but if you have not filtered, give it a whirl.

My last Aussie on S-189 got rushed through a bit too quickly (I was going to put it in the Nats and never made it) - and was a diacetyl monster, but after a couple of weeks in the keg at room temperature it cleaned up. I've found two bottles from October which I'm going to crack tonight :)

My last Aussie on S-189 got rushed through a bit too quickly (I was going to put it in the Nats and never made it)

That was my prob, trying to get em ready for beerfest, using 34/70 yeast. I will leave em at room temp for a couple of weeks then try to get the carb right for Feb 5 comp delivery.

Remember to release some pressure from the keg every little while, this will help sparge some oxygen out of the keg/beer and dissolved 02 could well be part of the problem, or in a beer with borderline D in the first place, become one later - so kill it off at the same time as you let the little bit of yeast activity wipe out the D thats already there.

thanks all, I will keep burping it and tasting every few days to see how it's going.

cheers
Matt

Back