Depression........Its real

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On-line at a permaculture site I think. But it was pretty widespread for a while, papers, medical sites, Neuroscience magazine etc. It was the real deal, scientific method by uni scientists etc. Not just a bunch of hippies.

In fact, I think I might go and weed, plough, harrow and fertilise a few beds right now; in prep for my winter veg crop. Not that I suffer from depression - it's just a really nice day for some physical labour followed by a cold beer (or two).

Had a visit from the Police 2 hrs ago looking for a lad who stayed with us for a while,he suffers from depression , he rang his sister and said he was going to do himself in.
The Police are racing around checking with everyone and trying to find him,hope all ends well.

Yes Lincoln it is a fact that gardening is therapeutic and yes it does give a good sense of achievement which could be called a high, certainly helps me just being out in the garden.

Sorry to hear about the young lad spog hope they manage to find him and get him help.

Spog, I hope they find him quickly. In my experience, people that tell someone they're about to end it is more a cry for help than a threat. Let's hope this is the case & he gets the help he's singing out for.

Gardening. I have to agree. I've never been formerly diagnosed with depression. I don't like going to the doctor, let alone telling him my problems. I had my own cry for help back in high school, by taking a bunch of pills that landed me in emergency. I don't think i wanted to end it, but i didn't really care to be around either. I think i just wanted people to know i was struggling. I'm not a communicator. Much of my life has been highs and lows, but 12 months ago i moved to acreage. Before then, i was constantly tired, agitated and had no drive to do anything. I grew up on farms and felt a need for space. So, i don't know whether it was the space (I'm quite introverted) or the soil, but I've not felt tired or really agitated since. That may have something to do with soil chemistry, i don't know. But, i feel normal.

Thanks guys for all the support.
It is good to know now, that I have done something about it, and thats it not just in my head. That is a medical condition and can be treated.
I have a new lady in my life, and instead of running away she is totally supporting me ( could be a keeper ).
She wants me to do yoga with her, and for me to get back into the gym.
Day 3 of meds is has its ups and downs, have found out that caffeine is a no no, makes me very light headed and giddy.
Mentally, im feeling great, feels like the crushing weight has been lifted off me.
The meds im on are. Escitalopram, brand names are, Lexapro/Cipralex 20g once a day.
Im new to meds so advice is good.
Cheers

The first week or so can be a bit out there. If your feeling like shit after 2 weeks, go back and tell your doctor. They may not be for you

Can make your body tingle and make you feel really good, its like your buzzing. If it does that then its working...but it will die down after a few weeks

agree with DBS it takes at least two weeks for meds to balance chemistry out some times a little longer but you'll know if they're working for YOU. Everyone is different, don't be afraid to tell the Doc it aint working.

Great amount of bravery here, brewers.... it's inspiring.

I thought my periods of grey were solely caused by my job of 4 years, which I wasn't enjoying. I felt like I was wasting my life (which I was), so I quit, and started working for my BIL.

The new carpentry job is much more enjoyable, but the depression returned after a couple of months.

When I think back, it has always come in waves a few months apart, but a little worse each time.

I shut down during the bad periods, not wanting to talk to anyone or even play with my 2 year old. Him and my wife are the best things that have ever happened to me, so I hate myself for shutting them out. That's when the spiral of self-loathing is at it's worst.
My wife bought me 'The happiness trap' over a year ago, but being a stubborn prick, I never read it.

I will now.

I'm also going to the docs this afternoon for a major service. Cholesterol check (never had one, but should be ok... just curious), a check of my ratchet-sounding knees, and a possible referral to a therapist of some kind.

Let's keep shining lights on these insidious, little diseases... good work everyone.

Danwood ,well said. I remember being shocked when a fellow AHB'er Tony announced his battles, I have never met him and only know him from this site but his announcement was ballsy to say the least.
And many others here are now talking about their troubles, it made me stop and think and realise how many people I know here in Port Lincoln are suffering from it,it's a lot.
Yeah realising how many are suffering from this shitty deal truly is a shock.

Wow, i have only just come across this thread, it's made me very proud to be a part of this community :)

Fortunately i have not been affected personally, i have had a few friends that have and what i have learnt is to just be there. So please lads if anyone ever needs an ear to listen to them, i'm always available

Drop me a line if anyone is in newcastle and surrounds ( well anywhere really) and you would like to meet up for a chat

Cheers lads and keep on sharing

Just came across this thread. I have battled depression / anxiety for over 20 years and it is such an insidious disease, eating away at your happiness and confidence. Have had 3 more serious bouts with the last being under a year ago. Pleased to say that my new hobby brewing assisted my recovery! I have found over the years that exercise and hobbies are a great distraction and really give me a feeling of well being and something to look forward to. That and a wonderfully supportive wife who has sought to gain an understanding (even attending therapy with me so that she could understand how best to support me). The final frontier is having the confidence to reveal the truth in the workplace. Perhaps one day there is real acceptance / understanding in society. Progress is being made though no doubt.

Danwood said:
'The happiness trap' over a year ago, but being a stubborn prick, I never read it.

I will now.
Yeah i was the same. I just thought, yeah just another self help book thingy. But the book really makes you look at yourself, and most of all, makes you think

spog said:
Had a visit from the Police 2 hrs ago looking for a lad who stayed with us for a while,he suffers from depression , he rang his sister and said he was going to do himself in.
The Police are racing around checking with everyone and trying to find him,hope all ends well.
This young fella was found and is being helped.

Anyone tried meditation?

Before everyone shoots it down, its more powerful than anyone believes.

Mediation is not sitting cross legged, chanting aum, it can be extremely simple.

There is a lot to be said for positive thought.

A Psychologist told me that I will need to re train my brain and teach it fun,enjoyment and pleasure. I thought he was mad at the time, but he was right.

Ducatiboy stu said:
There is a lot to be said for positive thought.

A Psychologist told me that I will need to re train my brain and teach it fun,enjoyment and pleasure. I thought he was mad at the time, but he was right.
Bang on. Retraining the neural pathways through positive thought / refusing to dwell on negatives has been a powerful tool in managing the illness for me.

Its not so much thinking more positive thoughts.

Its to stop believing in all the negative thoughts about self and others.

Latest posts

Back