Depression........Its real

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think DS is an exception as most close family would bend over backewards to help another.

Unless your family doesn't understand what you're going through or believes you should just harden up.

As for friends, it can be an insanely hard thing to be there for someone going through this. I imagine many have their breaking points or weigh up the cost v benefit ratio of the friendship and break ties at some point.

One of my best mates went through a real bad stretch of depression from 18-21, the amount of hours we spent just talking (and drinking) was huge. It's funny but he had closer mates at the time but never spoke to them about it where as he opened up to me although I was the one who brought up the topic first albeit in a round about way.
I reckon if some of our other mates had known how much of a shit time he was having and how much he was hiding it through heavy recreational drug use and partying then I dare say some of them would have bailed.
His friends were his family at the time, his old man took his life when he was quite young,his mum was housebound by illness and a sister that had her own demons to deal with.

I dance the dance. Sometimes the black dog is on his leash sometimes he sits on my chest. I've dealt with it for a long time but never told anyone. Even my wife. I've found a profession that allows me to hide. It's funny because I have everything in life I'm successful. But I'm never happy. When my first was born I was proud not happy. When my second came to be I felt emotions but I couldn't describe them, I've never bonded with him.

I find my own balance one day at a time. This thread & Tonys was hard to read. It may be time to talk to someone. I just got off the beyond blue site. It will have to do for now.

Do it mate. Asthmatics use ventolin.

No different in that regard. Just want to add to the depression thing that other mental unwellness exists (bipolar, schizophrenia, schizo-affective, etc) and is equally hard for sufferers and carers to deal with. Don't try and do it alone. It's not a matter of strength - strength comes from the fact that you cope with it on whatever level required to get by day to day.

Lol twice now I've gone in to delete that post. I'm embarrassed,but the honesty and bravery of others will push me to change.

Stigma around mental health is rife and one of the main things that holds sufferers back from getting support.

There was a great study on it I read recently - I think it was on the SANE website. There is a very slow shift among the general population as people start to open up and realise they are not alone. So many have either gone through it or know someone close who has.

Very few understand it - even those that suffer first hand but don't clam up. No need to tell every person you meet but those that matter most and those who you trust can help. They might not be able to change your brain chemistry but just knowing someone else gives a **** can make a huge difference.

my wife has depression and my daughter has bi polar and another is getting over cancer..Hate to say this life aint easy in my house..Me triple heart bypass 6 years ago

This has been a big leap for me. But one of the worst things I feel is the fact I've got it good. Like why hell? Many people have bigger problems I feel a bit silly. DU99 I do wish you the best mate. I will start the journey.

I've been on pretty serious meds for a while now, I noticed a couple of posts regarding the inability to climax. I discussed this with my GP and its got a lot to do with the with the depression less than the meds. I cant to even get in the mood.

Been depressed since i was 18 myself, i'm very stolid and i can neither cry nor laugh. On max dosage of Meds. sorta helps. (at least i can sleep now, no more 36 hour's straight reliving the past) It can happen to all of us. There are people who have had worse in life and those whom have had it better. I don't understand how anyone who has had it better than I or anyone else could possibly be depressed(this applies to me too, probably has sometihing to do with the fact we are very self-centered beasts), but i DO know what it's like. When i Was 12 or there about My Dad offed himself and i didn't understand why. I do all too well now though how the old man was feeling, and i don't think ill of him for his choice.. Good luck fighting your own demons everyone...

My advice to anyone on high dosage meds, never miss a day. The next time you'll take em you'll feel extremely trash. You'll wish you were hungover.

Scooby Tha Newbie said:
I dance the dance. Sometimes the black dog is on his leash sometimes he sits on my chest. I've dealt with it for a long time but never told anyone. Even my wife. I've found a profession that allows me to hide. It's funny because I have everything in life I'm successful. But I'm never happy. When my first was born I was proud not happy. When my second came to be I felt emotions but I couldn't describe them, I've never bonded with him.

I find my own balance one day at a time. This thread & Tonys was hard to read. It may be time to talk to someone. I just got off the beyond blue site. It will have to do for now.
Zero shame for posting this mate. I've had similar feelings about posts I've made in other forums and every one has helped me feel just that bit more free. Our honesty is one of the most important tools we have to work with our demons.

Cube said:
I would think DS is an exception as most close family would bend over backewards to help another.
Unfortunately there's a lot of people out there without any support.

And the fact that sufferers tend to withdraw and become to what others see as anti social

my question is how many of you guys where told to withold your emotions/feelings because you a MAN..

I can equate with a lot said here.

My demons are similar, but different - PTSD.

Just in case some folks have wondered why I suddenly stopped brewing 10 years ago & why it's taken me so long to get back into it, well, now you have your answer.

I bottled-up stuff from the past & didn't deal with it. Then, a bomb went-off in my head & I basically withdrew from everything & everyone. Drank myself into a stupor every day for a few months (I don't think I was ever sober, plus the dope). Contemplated topping myself (absolutely ANYTHING to stop the "replays") & decided that fighting (to the) death was better than giving-in to it.

Wild, raging anger, then seconds later bawling my brains-out. I called it having a "brain-snap". I used to listen to Motorhead & Pennywise to calm-down.

I was put on meds for awhile, but I felt so dull & lifeless, I stopped taking them. That, for me, was a good move.

'Still struggle with it occasionally, 'still drink heavily.

Still alive.

Back