Debunking the raw food fraud/diet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Native/indigenous foodstuffs are the bomb.

was a thing of mine when I worked as a chef but would love to have taken it much further had I continued in the profession.

Kangaroo is prob one of the best meats,low in fat and high in iron .

Bitch to cook, needs to be cooked "rare", due to its lack of fat.

Emu is the same.

Easy to cook. Just add a different source of fat like extra olive oil or bacon with roo burgers and stick with rare/medium rare.
Emu is great too. And possum.
And wallaby. And shellfish that's native.

Not tried wombat but don't mind croc.

I'd stop worrying about the cooked or raw food and consider all the chemicals they spray that raw food you're ingesting with.

You really need to look at all the lingering chemicals in your food from the round up that monsanto peddle to the farmers to see that raw or cooked makes no difference when there is no nutrition left and only a fuckload (yes that is a term of measurement) of chemicals.

maybe cooking is better as it may just break down some of the lingering glyphosate which is reeking havoc inside our bodies

Man my life would be a lot harder without glyphosate. Monsanto lost the rights years ago, it is one of the most useful chemicals ever discovered. I sympathise with people who care about the environment, and I don't like the irresponsible use of pesticides, but glyphosate poisoning is pretty low on my list of things to worry about. It isn't even sprayed on food, except for "roundup ready" crops. Some of the worst pesticides for the environment like pyrethroids are actually very safe for people, I get more worried about the environment that human health. I'm pretty sure my insides aren't reeking with havoc.

Problem with kangaroo is that it is low fat. However as Manticle says it can be tricked up with bacon etc. In good times aborigines would let wallabies and kangaroos hop through their camp unmolested while they ate good fatty goanna.
We need good saturated natural fats for our brains and metabolism and particularly in a low carb situation like most hunter gatherers it's essential as you can't make fats from proteins.

American Indians also had a similar problem, they sometimes suffered from "rabbit starvation" at times of year when there were plentiful rabbits but nothing much else.

Anyway, off now for some scrambled eggs cooked in two tablespoons of ghee and washed down with full fat yogurt :icon_drool2:

I reckon raw food diets could go in the First World Problems thread. Only with such wealth and leisure could we whinge enough about perfect health to concoct ideas like this.

Regarding Aboriginal problems with Euro diets I read a reference to a study that concluded traditional Aboriginal diets were higher in potassium than sodium, and the Euro diet is the opposite. It said this creates huge issues in the body and IIRC has links to the diabetes problem for Aboriginal folks. I'll see if I can track it down. Think it's on my laptop.

Sorry last post a day out and now OT! Can we slow cook kangaroo on a smoker or something BBQ related? Does that give a tasty dish?

technobabble66 said:
I think that's pretty solid evidence there was alcohol around at the time.
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/07/09/us-germany-badger-odd-idUSTRE5683O720090709

"(Reuters) - A badger in Germany got so drunk on over-ripe cherries it staggered into the middle of a road and refused to budge, police said on Wednesday.
A motorist called police near the central town of Goslar to report a dead badger on a road -- only for officers to turn up and discover the animal alive and well, but drunk.
Police discovered the nocturnal beast had eaten cherries from a nearby tree which had turned to alcohol and given the badger diarrhoea.
Having failed to scare the animal away, officers eventually chased it from the road with a broom."

QED.

Fruits are covered in wild yeasts, it only takes a break in the skin and fermentation begins.

Liam_snorkel said:
pd1092145.jpg
We used to do that when we occasionally milked the house-cow as kids.
And shoot it at each other, but we'd get a clip over the ear for that.

Liam_snorkel said:
If consumption was based on guilt we would eat and drink nothing at all.
Yeah, but I reckon you could eat fruit, because they plant is "paying" you for seed dispersal.
But you'd have to keep the bargain of course, and make like a bear in the woods.

Greg.L said:
Man my life would be a lot harder without glyphosate. Monsanto lost the rights years ago, it is one of the most useful chemicals ever discovered. I sympathise with people who care about the environment, and I don't like the irresponsible use of pesticides, but glyphosate poisoning is pretty low on my list of things to worry about. It isn't even sprayed on food, except for "roundup ready" crops. Some of the worst pesticides for the environment like pyrethroids are actually very safe for people, I get more worried about the environment that human health. I'm pretty sure my insides aren't reeking with havoc.
Except perhaps mustard. I'm not an expert, but I believe the entire mustard-seed crop is sprayed with a herbicide before it's harvested.
Maybe that's just an English (the country) thing.

-kt

Edak said:
Sorry last post a day out and now OT! Can we slow cook kangaroo on a smoker or something BBQ related? Does that give a tasty dish?
As long as you have a source of fat and moisture then you can. Similar to any other lean meat being slow cooked.

You can also smoke roo quite quickly so it remains rare/medium rare but still takes on a smoky flavour (hot smoke). I have done this and it is lovely. Basically get hot smoke going in your smoker (I just used an oven tray and cake rack with tea leaves and dry herbs), season roo fillets and throw them on the cake rack). Cover with foil, cook till just rare then remove from heat. Keep foil cover on, let roo rest till rare/medium rare and continue to take on the smokiness.

Greg.L said:
Not sprayed on food......Really???

http://www.grdc.com.au/~/media/76E91298B77646BBAA36C0D302535B58.pdf

Spraying glyphosate on food crops is self defeating as it is non selective ( exluding GMO roundup ready crops ) and will kill the crop

That document is more in regards to weed control. I can assure you farmers do not spray wheat,barley etc with glyphosate due to the fact it will kill the crop.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Am I missing something, or is the whole raw food caper based on a ridiculous assumption that enzymes LOSE THIER LIFEFORCE about fourty something degrees?
I'd suggest the fact all food consumed basically gets masticated, dropped into a bath of dilute hydrochloric acid followed by an extended seeing to by digestive enzymes makes the whole 'forty degree' assertion kind a moot point anyway. Beside being misinformation. And f*****g dumb.

I hope somebody gets food poisoning and shits their pants.

What's your view on people (mostly checkout chicks) who suck on a water bottle all day like it's got a teat. Worked in a call centre with dozens of chicks and they spent half their time running off for a piss.
I guess in prehistoric and even historic times people didn't suck all day. When I were a lad the though of paying for a drink of water would have been laughable.

Back