Debunking the raw food fraud/diet

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silver said:
Anyhow does paleo have any adverse effects on the average Joe?
You can be perfectly healthy eating a paleo diet, but the problem with them and most diets is most people don't know what they should be eating in the first place. They drop off sources of nutrition and don't replace them with something else. I've seen this countless times with newly converted vegetarians as well (vitamin B12 is a big one for vegos). You can be perfectly healthy eating paleo, vego, vegan, and raw food diets as long as you know what you should be eating and what foods make good substitutes for those you drop out.

It also doesn't really matter if you degrade enzymes in food as the body produces all the enzymes it needs to catalyse chemical reactions, assuming you eat a healthy enough diet to give you the basic building blocks to synthesise them. There are a few amino acids (from proteins) which can't be synthesised in the body (hence the term essential). Vitamins generally act as cofactors in bodily reactions and are generally degraded by heat (B12 for example is cofactor along with folate in the methylation of DNA and B12 also is important in the formation of red blood cells).

JD

Actually, you can occasionally see footage of animals eating slightly rotten fruit and getting drunk. So cave men could've done that.

All we've done is put it a vessel.
In a fridge.
And change the fruit to grain.
And use some flowers. :icon_cheers:

So i'd suggest Airgead's been sneakily indulging in a Paleo diet the whole time !!! ;)
You hipster! :p

I like the seefood diet.

Some foods need cooking to enable the vitamins to be released. Corn actually needs to be cooked in lye to release the nutrients, especially Vitamin B.

Personally I couldnt care less, as long as the nutjobs dont go around harrasing people to change, regardless of how subtly the do it.

Midnight Brew said:
(although I dont think we were suppose to drink from cow utters, id be curious to have a time machine and see the first bloke who came up with that idea.)
no, but most races now have an innate tolerance for lactose. further, there are nomadic african tribes who get by (while they're following herd) on small amounts of milk & blood and nothing else, and I doubt this is a recent innovation.

Is there any proof that cave men drank alcohol? I cant find any.

When was cave man time again?

Fermentation is a natural process so it would have been discovered fairly early on. Beer - ale - is by some standards a rather difficult alcohol because of the malting and mashing process you have to go through to get the sugars out. But other sugars were available - it's often said that mead is the earliest alcohol. Seems likely, since the honey is a pretty widely available sugar.

That said some of the early theories about the 'first mead' are pretty lame. My mead book by Ken Schramm speculates that an early man was carrying some honey in an animal skin bag to 'give to the alpha human' in his tribe. Right. How does he know that this was their social arrangement? Why even drag this spot of weird sociological speculating into his theory anyway?

Then again, a Finnish folk song about the making of mead and ale speculates that one of the substances needed to make ale were 'the spit of a bear'. True! (There could be something in that - certainly human spit has an enzyme in it that makes starch break down into sugar, hence the South American 'spit' beers, made out of chewed maize).

Humans synthesise their own enzymes funnily enough (some of which are antioxidants more powerful than any dietary ones we may ingest such as vitamin c, e) We do however require a few amino acids and vitamins that we can't make on our own. How eating raw stuff aids this is beyond me. The invention of cooking has allowed humans to develop into the intelligent, all powerful superbeings that we are.

the intelligent, all powerful superbeings that we are.

Hey, not all of us are beer gods yet.

technobabble66 said:
Actually, you can occasionally see footage of animals eating slightly rotten fruit and getting drunk. So cave men could've done that.

All we've done is put it a vessel.
In a fridge.
And change the fruit to grain.
And use some flowers. :icon_cheers:
I guess what I meant to say was consumption wouldnt have been relatively high from a guess (if it were fermented fruit) but then again we havnt found literature proof either so who knows. This is of course in reference to those living beyond 10-12,000 years ago (paleo usually refers to 10,000y ago to 2.4? m years ago)

Liam_snorkel said:
no, but most races now have an innate tolerance for lactose. further, there are nomadic african tribes who get by (while they're following herd) on small amounts of milk & blood and nothing else, and I doubt this is a recent innovation.
I have been reading latley that it seems to be in the last 5000 years we have started to evolve to be tolerant to lactose. Forgive me for not providing a reference and also not sure of the scientific proof behind that reference.

Id still be curious for that time machine to see the first man drinking from the utter. He must of been the initial laughing stock of the whole tribe then later considered somewhat of a genius/hero.

Well you can get meat from cows and goats and sheep too, and a lot of it, so they're desirable animals to have around. I assume people would have known about cow milk for a long time before they started consuming it in large quantities - possibly it was considered of medical benefit originally, or just as an alternative to meat when little of that was available. Cats are supposedly lactose intolerant but they looooooooove cream, certainly ours do. I can see those early humans having similar inclinations - 'I'm not supposed to have this milk but damn it's nice....'

Indeed, only 35 per cent of humans have inherited the gene for lactose tolerance. So that's roughly 2/3rds of humans alive who aren't lactose tolerant!

So wait, the enzymes DIE in our acidic stomach? Wait till I tell the life force theorists that they are killing their precious tummesiahs!

Soylent green is enzymes!

TimT said:
Indeed, only 35 per cent of humans have inherited the gene for lactose tolerance. So that's roughly 2/3rds of humans alive who aren't lactose tolerant!
I said cultures (not a pun), and I also suggest that the selection pressures on humans 5000 years ago are no longer present, certainly not since the exponential growth in the last say 500-1000 years.

Cow utters?

An oddly fitting euphemism, considering one of the nicknames for our parts is 'extremities'.

I think it obvious that a human would know milk comes from tits and drink it.

No complicated theory is needed.

Oh, and they would have collected milk in a bowl and not sat under the cow sucking.

Duh.

pd1092145.jpg

Back