Dark Wheat Dunkelweizen Biab Help Needed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smilinggilroy

Reaction score
Hi All,
Need help with brewing a dark wheat dunkelweizen. The recipe is based on Tonys' recipe in the DB.Link
I am contemplating on adding some smoked malt, carafaII and caramunich II to the grain bill.
I've done a few BIAB's but only one with my new 40lt birko urn set up, which I would do 1 or 2 mini sparges and use a n.c cube and generally transfer and pitch next evening.

The help needed for this type of wheat beer and my equipment & methods is:-
Mash times and temperature
Boil times
Aprox. volumes to get about 25-27lts into the fermenter

The yeast in the recipe is Wyeast 3068 and I read that it needs a large head space......is this correct as I use 30lt. carboys?
All help appreciated,
Cheers.

Hi All,
Need help with brewing a dark wheat dunkelweizen. The recipe is based on Tonys' recipe in the DB.Link
I am contemplating on adding some smoked malt, carafaII and caramunich II to the grain bill.
I've done a few BIAB's but only one with my new 40lt birko urn set up, which I would do 1 or 2 mini sparges and use a n.c cube and generally transfer and pitch next evening.

The help needed for this type of wheat beer and my equipment & methods is:-
Mash times and temperature
Boil times
Aprox. volumes to get about 25-27lts into the fermenter

The yeast in the recipe is Wyeast 3068 and I read that it needs a large head space......is this correct as I use 30lt. carboys?
All help appreciated,
Cheers.

Brewed Tonies recipe up yesterday, and just pitched on to 1/2 a cake of 3638. There are a few step mashing regimes around but I opted to keep it simple with a 90m 65C mash and a 20m 78C mash out.

This was one of my first batches using my own mill, and using a refractomater and I seemed to get a bad efficiency, maybe you will do better.

I set my volumes up to fill the nc cube to the brim, the ones I have are 22L. If you want 27 L out of one cube you will maybe have to do an OG batch then dilute into the fermentor, unless your cubes are bigger than mine.

I run all my numbers with Brewmate. It is a small free download to help with all the volumes required and more. If you don't want to download it, post and I will run the numbers. If you do, post and I will help with setup!

Wheat beers have a rep for big krausen, yet to see it in my own beers, but best to plan for it and organise a blow off tube!

I have all the ingredients to do this recipe as well, I was going to go with the mash schedule listed on the recipe page, mash in at 52 for 15, raise to 64 for 40m, then up to 71 for 10-20 and mash out.

I can't speak for your system and water required but you should be using the calculator on the biabinfo website if you aren't sure.

Oh and you probably want to fit a blow off tube.

3638 is mellow compared to 3068, which needs almost as much headspace as beer volume.

I would leave the smoked malt out personally.

Thanks All,
The n c cubes I use, 1 holds 23lt full as, and another holds 5lt.
And Brewmate seems to lack in its grain list to make up this recipe from what I can interpret.

I'll be investigating the calculator n biabinfo- Thanks

Wyeast 3638 is currently out of stock with Ross ( wouldn't you know it!) so can anyone suggest another?

Gotta get another brew going before I run out of HB and have to resort to megaswill as a stop gap! :(
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back