Danstar Belle Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day
Took two bottles of Saison to the home brew shop yesterday, one fermented with the Saison Belle and the other with WLP565. I knew which was which but it was a blind tasting for the other three. One agreed with my view that the WLP565 was slightly "better". One really preferred the WLP565, while the fourth liked the Saison Belle more. The general consensus was that the WLP565 was fruity and mellow while the Saison Belle was spicier. They agreed that both beers were good saisons (sorry about the self praise).
I did ferment into the low 30's oC which the WLP565 seems to like but Saison Belle might prefer the mid to high 20's oC?
IMHO it is worth a try.

Well just tried my first glass of a simple Belgian type grain bill etc. with this yeast thrown in. Fermented at about 22 for 2 weeks (Under inside stairs which gives me a constant 22 and allows me to keep using my ferm fridge at 18ish). CC'd for a week and in the keg for 2 days. A slight hint and I mean slight of banana first up. Ends nice and spicy maybe peppery on the tongue. Would like it a bit more tart to be honest but bloody nice all the same and let's be honest it's pretty early yet I just don't thik I'll have the will power to let it age :( .

Glad I picked two packets of this yeast up from the LHBS yesterday... Can't wait to give it a run :drinks:

I reckon I will ferment lower next time Judanero. Maybe 19ish.

What is your reasoning there Rowy? The banana? Any reason you wouldn't ferment hotter given some of the comments in the other thread and based on the liquid saison yeasts?

These questions are posed in a friendly manner, not to be read as being smart-arse or confrontational...insert a million smiley faces etc etc.

Exactly lecter and no offence taken. I just did a wheat with 1214 at 22 and to be honest I'm a bit over banana at the moment. Your opinion would be valued if you reckon I should go the other way :icon_cheers: I'm still learning with these type of beers and particulalry the yeasts.

I've got two packs of this ready to go. I am only a yellow belt saison maker, but concur with the consensus that they are generally more interesting as they warm up. I am one of the rare sub-species that prefers 3711 to 3724, and I find it will generate lovely, tart flavours from 20c - 28c (I've never pushed it insanely like some have). Yes, 3724 tastes the goods (dupont etc) but needs time and patience up around 30c. I've not tried the farmhouse ale strain itself (forgotten the number).

So, I'm just wondering if the banana, or any other qualities that aren't particularly desired are found at 22c, could they possibly be enhanced at an even lower temp? Perhaps these are stress issues that would be no problem in the mid 20s? Oooh this is exciting, riding the wave of a new yeast. It will be three weeks before I brew with dammit!

I am definitely getting a more belgian profile from this yeast. Alot of clove like esters and peppery on tongue.

I dont mind it would be interesting to use it on the grain bill for tonys saison and run it a bit lower temp

I agree with Doon it comes across with the esters you find from the Belgium yeast only not as tart and acidic. The one I'm drinking at the moment was brewed at ambient approximately 23 25 and I'm not getting too many bananas.
Thought I'd better sample it before the club meeting Friday night. Might not be much left.

Yeah i just let it run at ambient melbourne temps the other week so it got up there. Its definitely not as tart and crisp as 3711

Mine came out around 7% bit dangerous!

My first 20lt single packet pitch finished at 1.001 down from 1.045 the 40lt on the yeast cake finished the same but down from 1.050. It's dry but has a nice mouth feel.

I thought peppery too, and totally get the banana now too - I bottled today and am having a glass, banana reminds me of Finnish "Sahti" beer which is fermented with baker's yeast.

14 days and couldn't get it under 1.008, temp was 20-22.

Would be interested to know which strain this is, if there is a certain brewery behind this yeast.

Barry said:
IMHO it is worth a try.
That's all I need to hear...gonna give this a try now :)

Saw it in the LHBS today, and have been meaning to brew a Saison for a number of years now. This seals the deal! Thanks Barry

Put a brew down on sat night wyerman bo pils 2% caramunich 1 ,EKG at 60 and syrings at 5. Og was 1052.
Sunday morning and it was cranking.
Dumped a bit today when I got home and the aroma is definitely there from the yeast bit keen to try this brew.

Cheers sav
Let you know what it gets down to currently sitting at 22 deg

:icon_offtopic:

Curious as hell about this Saison gig. If I strolled into Dan's tomorrow, what's a good commercial offering I'd be likely to find?

None that I know off

So how does a fella taste a Saison if he can't find one?

You'd be unlikely to find one at Dan's.
You'd need a better bottle store.
If you can seek them out some good ones definitely available in Australia (depending on where you are) are:
Saison Dupont
Temple Saison
Bridge Roads Chevalier Saison
La Sirene Saison (fairly limited supply but worth finding in my opinion)

That's just a few that come to mind on a Tuesday morning. Others out there as well...
Phillo said:
:icon_offtopic:

Curious as hell about this Saison gig. If I strolled into Dan's tomorrow, what's a good commercial offering I'd be likely to find?

Latest posts

Back