Danstar Belle Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pitched one pack in 20L of 1.048 wort on Monday. By saturday it was at 1.003.
That 93.5% AA!

Pitched at 20C and after it was running brought it up by a couple of degrees a day, ending at 30C.

We shall know soon enough how it turns out.

G'day all,

On our way home from Apollo Bay. Went to the Forrest Brewery for lunch yesterday. The honey saison is still available, goes by the name of Pobblebonk (and yes I thought the guy behind the bar was swearing at me). It is one of the best beers I have tasted for a good while and at 7% ABV it is dangerously easy to drink.

On a side note the food was great as well.

Regards,

Andrew.

Much happier with this yeast second time round. Chucked two packets in 22 litres of 1060 wort and got down to 1003 in 4 days at around 25 deg. Esters are nice and subdued not peppery like when I ran it hot.

I got some of this yeast with my last order.

The only problem is, I was away for work when it was delivered and my wife put the yeast in the freezer thinking she was doing the right thing.

Can anyone tell me if this yeast would now be useless or viable any more?

This yeast goes hard, i did tonys motueka saison with it and it went well. i fermented around 26 or 27 from memory but apparently it goes just as well around 22 if you don't want as much of that estery profile. Not knowing wtf a belgian saison was, i'm pretty impressed with how it turned out.

I'm pretty sure frozen is fine, I think I remember reading something about needing to thow it out slowly as to reduce stress on the yeast. you could always make a starter and see how it goes.

Dunno if the freezing question is about all dry yeasts, or just this one.

I freeze all yeasts. It keeps the kids out of it (which for me is a risk analysis thing, and the less risky thing to do is freeze it).

When I'm on a brew day, it comes out when the water goes on (if chilling) or I'll pull it out a couple hours before pitching (no chill).

I generally pitch straight in, though for some yeasts (generally the lagers - s189, danish dry), I'll rehydrate first. I did a side by side with US05, one rehydrated, one not. The rehydrated one ended up and running really quick, big krausen, no esters. The latter, more esters, but not much - still pretty clean though.

Never had an issue with yeast stress flavours.

Kept the ferment on a dark saison below 25 and it was very well balanced between spicy and fruity phenols. I will keep it below 25 from now on. Great yeast and will definately be using again.

This yeast is, once again, scaring me...
Finished doing a Saison - left it there for 3 weeks all up due to lack of time. Attenuated from 1.055 to 1.002! Bottled that this arvo.
Re-pitched the cake into a 1.064 stout. Sitting at ambient temps 20-22°C, it's starting to Krausen after 4 hours!

Might have to find some way of killing this beast after it's done with this beer...

Pitching this yeast later today, brewing a rye saison today. Temps are around 25-32 so let's put this baby through its paces and see what it can do! In early March at around 20 degrees I got it down to 1.008-1.009...

7 day at 23+ degC (in the beginning as high as 30, now 23), 1.052 => 1.010 which is a slight disappointment.

18 days and at 1.008, disappointed, taste is great though - time to bottle.

Slight grave dig, but I just pitched this into a double batch of Tony's Saison (slightly modified grist bill and completely different hops bill)
I pitched it at 0.9g/l rather than 1g/l (I don't think it'll matter too much tbh)

Reading through everyone's experience, the 22-28c weather we're having at the moment in SEQ will be perfect by the sounds of it :D

I got a couple of packs of this to try out, and I thought I'd just sprinkle one pack into about 21l of 1044 wort yesterday, not wanting to go the full 2 packs for 1g/L. Well, it started fine. 2cm of krausen this morning about 11h after pitching. No rehydration just sprinkled. Have to check for sulfur or esters but tasted fine this morning.

Down to 1030 already after 36h. Doesn't seem like anything wrong with it from "underpitching" according to the recommended rate and not rehydrating

Mine had a minor 1 hour window where I had to clean air locks and swap over to hoses rather than the bubbler (within the first 24h of pitching).
I haven't checked the gravity, but it's still fermenting away out in the brew shed (no overflow since then) :)

Did a side by side double batch with Belle Saison and Wyeast French saison 3711 on Monday... Rehydrated 1.6x packets of Belle Saison (saving a bit for a starter) into one fermenter and one bulging Wyeast pack, both into 17L wort at 1.046. Pitched at about 24c on a 30c day.
After 18 hours the 3711 was at 1.024 with a healthy krausen and the Belle Saison was as 1.012, also with a big thick krausen too.
I'm hoping for around 1.005 or lower with both, I've had 3711 take beers to 1.002 before without any special mashing.
My unscientific pitching rates aside, hopefully I'll be able to give a good comparison of the two in a couple of weeks. They tasted pretty similarly spicy but the two different specific gravities made it hard to say just how similar they are.

Mine's sitting on 1.003 going by my crappy old hydrometer, which is interesting, as I had bubbles of CO2 come out just prior to taking the sample...
I'll leave it for a little longer and check it again.

Flavour is dry, with a peppery flavour, not a whole heap of banana, which personally I'm happy about :)

edit - spelling

OK, it's officially a monster this yeast!!

I just got a new hydrometer, because I wasn't too sure about the 1.003 reading yesterday... Well, it's 1.000 to 1.001 today, on both hydrometers!
Check it out:
AussieSummerSaison1.jpg

That's close to 100% attenuation! I never even thought that would be possible??

Cheers
Martin

Latest posts

Back