Danstar Belle Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure yet, mines ccing ATM, will be my first saison ,and will be into keg next week.

Mine started at 1052, I fired this yeast up in a 1.5 ltr starter for 24 hrs first, pitched at 22 and let rise over first 24 hrs to 26.
4 days and was down to 1002.

Wish I had access to some wyeast type saison , but last week could only get this one.

Seems some like it and some don't . Will see how it pans out for me...

My recent rye saison with this yeast was fermented at 20c for 3days. 1045 gravity, ramped to 28c for 5days to ferment out.....FG 0.998

Fortunately the malt bill also had 6% rolled oats so some kind of body to the beer exist.

I mashed mine at 64, used alittle accidualted malt and O2 . It's a monster yeast that's for sure...
Hydro tastings were promising.

Rye, addition sounds nice. I do like rye and have a sack.

Care to share the receipe ?

Rye in a saison? Interesting what % did you use, just wondering how much it would add to the spiciness and dryness of what's already a dry style?

Ok, my first Saison has turned out nice...
Final grav with this yeast was 1002 from 1052 start. 6.6%

Kegged after 1 week cc, carbed up at 40 psi for 36 hrs, I wanted it real carbed and served at -1 .

Nice and dry, crisp, slight peppery finish, with a nice subdued funk to it. Pitched at 22 and allowed to rise to 26 and it was done in 5 days. But I left it for 8 days before cc.

Going to try this receipe again using wyeast versions to compare the diff.

Cheers

Just catching up.

Rye Saison

Pils 72%
Wheat 6%
Rye 6%
oats 6%

Mashed at 66c

At that % it adds a nice blend of flavours with the yeast, the oats and wheat help keep some body to the finish.

Just tasted my saison 4 days into the fermentation and have to say it's tasting awsome. Bit longer to go to fg but I'm impressed with the belle saison yeast so far. Been fermenting at ambient garage temps which was 19C on Saturday up to 35 on Monday then been sitting around 24 for the last 2 days. So far very happy

What's the highest temp that people have fermented this yeast at? The lallemand website states that optimal fermentation temps are from 15-35C (quite a wide range), but can't find much info on what sort of flavours you get at high temps.

I've got family coming for the silly season, and was hoping to get one more beer in the keg but the weather isn't looking favourable for fermentation (and I don't have a fermenting fridge at present).

Got a 70:30 ale/wheat cube which would go nicely as a saison, so thought that would be a good option to ferment while its hot (should be able to keep the fermenter below 30C without too much trouble).

JD

I just did a rye saison with this yeast and I’m very happy with the results.
It’s got a great Dry Spicy finish. I was hoping to make it a 4% summer quaffer but hadn’t counted on it finishing so dry so it’s almost 5%.
I’ve made a couple of ciders with this yeast as well and it has a really nice funky finish to it. It makes the Coles apple juice taste like it’s from exotic cider fruit

Latest posts

Back