Danstar Belle Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cellabrations store here in Gladdy has Silly Saison available. Dunno how it rates to other saisons....

Had a look today looks like its finishing already cranked fridge 2 30deg see how low I can get it.
Sav

Ivonavich said:
The Cellabrations store here in Gladdy has Silly Saison available. Dunno how it rates to other saisons....
I tried that a few years ago. It was a nice beer but not a pale saison. I remember some burnt toffee and low caramel flavours.

Dupont use a wine yeast apparently. I was thinking of doing something similar.

hoppy2B said:
Dupont use a wine yeast apparently. I was thinking of doing something similar.
Don't you already do something similar?

B-S is highly attenuative and extremely active.
The rest is up to you.
Any beer or indeed wine yeast you use, if fermented above say 21C is going to give you esters you may or may not want, the higher the temp the more esters and worse, but we know all this. I guess (well more than guess) the trick with saisson is to hold it back to 19 or so during the lag and once the log starts let it it run, B-S is very active and will drive the temp up of its own accord.
Just for fun (because I like fun) I recently made a dark beer (some sort of base lots of Caraoma, Dark Wheat, Midnight Wheat, Pale Chocolate and because I had no CaraRed, CaraPils) and fermented with B-S.
I held it 19C for 48 hours then let it run but stopped it at 25C. All I can say is that this a fantastic yeast (for these sorts of beers).
K

Phillo said:
So how does a fella taste a Saison if he can't find one?
The Forrest brewery did a fantastic honey Saison as a summer seasonal. Not sure if its still available but everyone would do well to try it if they had the opportunity. Keep in mind if you're travelling around during Easter , I imagine their distribution is pretty limited

bum said:
Don't you already do something similar?
Yeah, I have used SN9 and found it gives a nice creamy mouthfeel. A dry hopped IPA fermented with SN9 has a long lingering spicey hop flavour. I have a strong hop flavour in my mouth 1/2 an hour after I've finished drinking.
I was actually thinking of a different yeast I used a week ago to ferment some wine which made a wine with a high level of acid which I will use for blending to balance the acid of my main wine and bring out fruit flavours. Should be perfect for wheat beer, might suit a saison as some saisons are quite tart apparently.
I'm no saison expert mind, but I do find a lot of the descriptions for wheat, saison and belgian ale yeasts seem very similar.

I know this yeast is highly attenuative, does anyone know the actual numbers (based on experience I guess)?
It's not listed on Danstar's website.

Going by the graph on the Danstar pdf it's approx 86%, if you look at some of the figures that some forum members are getting mike then I think they are similar.

Ok my saison has pulled up stumps OG was 1054 and it has finished at 1002 that about 91 attenuation tastes nice and dry.
I will keg filter tomorrow let you know how it comes out very happy at the moment with this yeast
Sav

I have a English mild in a cube wondering if I should dump it on the cake what do ya think

sav said:
I have a English mild in a cube wondering if I should dump it on the cake what do ya think
Don't die wondering Sav!

I put the Belle Saison into a simple K+B Draught recipe (OG 1061) and it is down to 1006 in 4 days..... Cold Crashing it now...

Sample was pretty good - cant wait to taste it in a few weeks

Pitched 2 packs of this into a 1.054 wort at 2:30 this arvo. Fermenting at 22 degrees
It's taken off well and truely already...i'm scared!

Got to say this yeasts profile at higher temps is not great. Ran this over 30ish and its quite peppery even after two weeks in keg. 3711 tastes much better

i ran it at about 35 to see what i got and early on thei had loads of fruity esters and some bubblegum as well which was not what i wanted. the bubblegum has disappeared after cold conditioning and left a nice fruitiness with some pepper and tartness that doesn't hint at the low final gravity. 1.050 - 1.002.
i have a dark saison on that a week in at 25 is much more like you describe with a lot of pepper. the jury is still out for me on the optimal temp for this yeast but i will push it high again.

I've been fermenting this for 4 days now at an ambient sort of 18-22°C
Attentuated well past 1.010
Has quite a bit of fruitiness about it, touch of banana (perhaps a result of using a large proportion of wheat?), bit of pepper and spice but not dominant. Does have a distinct tartness on the palate which I haven't experienced from a yeast thus far; should be interesting to see where it goes at these sorts of temps.

1pkt knocked a 1060 down to 1006 in 6 days!!! This was at 25deg. Tasting at bottling was all pears with a hint of pepper.....

Latest posts

Back