Culturing And Storing Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maschenbrau

Reaction score
Seems that there is a lot of talk about storing yeast and the likes, starters and so forth.
What have people been doing to get their starters started and store their samples safely?

Seems that there is a lot of talk about storing yeast and the likes, starters and so forth.
What have people been doing to get their starters started and store their samples safely?

A search might be in order here .. try Yeast starter, storing yeast, yeast slant etc.

Anyhow, from my sample to create a starter I make 100ml of boiled wort in a sterile erlenmeyer flask
add the yeast once cooled and cover with foil.
I use a magnetic stirrer to agitate the yeast and let it go for 48 hrs.
I then step up to 1 litre of wort, let it ferment for 48hrs and chuck that in my fermenter with the wort for ales.
For lagers I step up again to 4l before using.

Most people here store yeast long term using slants.
I actually store them in a 75% water 25% glycerine solution in the freezer - works for me.
Short term a boiled stubby filled with yeast slurry and beer is the common method.

And info on starters, etc here: Link

To store safely most brewers use an Agar / Gelatine slant to store the yeast on - grow a small amount of yeast on a slant then place in the fridge. Re-culture every 6 - 12 months.

Latest posts

Back