Crown Urn BIAB or Grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tavas said:
Only 2 things make better beer - brewing without pants and using a red bucket. These have been proven on this forum time after time.
That's where I've been going wrong.......................

I've been using a white bucket :ph34r:

I'm a 3V brewer myself, but I remember a few saying BIAB can get messy, hoisting, moving dripping bags etc.
There must be ways to avoid it, but I'd aso imagine the GF would be clean brewing.

I suppose it's a bit like hoist the bag, empty next to the choko vine then rinse. As I did ten minutes ago, brewing tonite.
bag 1.jpg
bag 2.jpg
bag 3.jpg
bag 4.jpg

I just have a 25L bucket beside the unit and after the sparse runs through, drop it I. There and carry it to the garden or compost heap in the bucket.

actually as I posted on another thread, if and when Crownie dies I'd personally look at a GF for its compactness and ease of use etc. However we are advising the OP in this thread and it's really a question of looking at the pros and cons of each system before shelling out the moolah to get into their first all grain setup.

Go the Urn to learn then decide what you want when you have more coin.
The Urn is freakin amazing piece of kit.
Also if you want to 3V you can use it as the kettle or HLT.

Not really interested in a 3V system as it just takes up too much space.

Also as money is tight I would prefer to just get one system and stick with it instead of buying an urn and having to spend more money later.

The Grain and Grape special has come and gone and I didn't purchase anything.

I am definitely interested in the Grainfather but I would prefer to wait until it can be further improved. Maybe consider purchasing one in the second half of next year.

So far it seems from the advice of this thread, both can make equal beers with the Grainfather being a complete package and less hassle.

panzerd18 said:
Not really interested in a 3V system as it just takes up too much space.

Also as money is tight I would prefer to just get one system and stick with it instead of buying an urn and having to spend more money later.

The Grain and Grape special has come and gone and I didn't purchase anything.

I am definitely interested in the Grainfather but I would prefer to wait until it can be further improved. Maybe consider purchasing one in the second half of next year.

So far it seems from the advice of this thread, both can make equal beers with the Grainfather being a complete package and less hassle.
If you're pretty set on a GF but want to see an improved version (a reasonably smart idea I think) why not go a really cheap option such as a simple electric or burner powered kettle and BIAB on the cheap, nail down some good technque before making the 'jump' to the GF? I think its good to do things the 'harder' way first anyway as it allows you to understand the processes perhaps a little better? For less than $100 dollars I'm doing 10L BIAB AG batches and I'm loving it. The only thing restricting my volume is that I'm using a 19L pot. So if you're not quite sure on the GF yet or are hoping it'll improve, grab a burner and pot or an electric kettle from someone for 80 bucks and enjoy All Grain brewing until you're absolutely sure you want to commit to the GF. Read and watch every review you can and see whether you think a new and improved verion may come out.

I am considering getting a Big W 19L pot and doing some BIAB. The only issue is I have no way of cooling after the boil other than getting an expensive wort chiller.

I have heard some people fill a sink up with iced water and drop the pot in to cool, but I would have thought it wouldn't cool quick enough and there may be problems with DMS.

panzerd18 said:
I am considering getting a Big W 19L pot and doing some BIAB. The only issue is I have no way of cooling after the boil other than getting an expensive wort chiller.

I have heard some people fill a sink up with iced water and drop the pot in to cool, but I would have thought it wouldn't cool quick enough and there may be problems with DMS.
I have been cooling in the sink for a while now. About 9 odd litres of finished undiluted wort. This takes about 30-40 mins on average to get to 25-30 degrees. Then when diluted will bring it down again. I haven't had any issues using this method as many others :)

Also if you want to get experience in wort production on stovetop. But still want to produce 20 odd litres of beer. Give partial mashing a go

panzerd18 said:

If I can add to moodgett's comment I also use an ice bath for cooling 10L of wort (I do 10L batches AG) and have been able to get my wort from ~90C down to 20C in about 25 minutes. A day or two before I half-fill plastic shopping bags with water then chuck them in the chest freezer. I have a removed laundry sink in the shed which I sit outside and initially I add just straight tap water to cool the wort somewhat, this prevents wasting ice as when the wort is 90C the 25C tap water take a lot of the temp out without wasting ice, once that water gets hot (fairly quickly) I drain it all then fill up again with normal temp water, this lot gets less hot but once I'm happy it's done most of what it was going to do I then drain it and take to my giant ice blocks with a hammer and get the ice in with enough tap water to have the ice suspended, move the pot around the ice bath for about 15 minutes and it should chill really quickly.

panzerd18 said:

Just pour hot wort straight into a no-chill cube. Don't stress about DMS or HSA.

kaiserben said:
Just pour hot wort straight into a no-chill cube. Don't stress about DMS or HSA.
I'm sorry, but recommending someone pour 10 litres of sticky boiling wort into a cube is not a responsible comment...

How so? I do this every brew and have had no adverse effects besides irresponsible forum postings.

Back