Crown Urn BIAB or Grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Search "no chill" on here. Its safer than you are thinking.

tavas said:
Search "no chill" on here. Its safer than you are thinking.
Ok my apologies if I am hitting nerves here. The main thing I'm getting at is pouring from a stock pot with very hot wort into a container with a small opening. Dont think it would be a great intro to AG needing to go to the burns unit.

I thought this a bit obvious to mention, but I pour through a wide-mouthed funnel. Others siphon using silicon hose/tubing.

I'm currently BIABing in a 19L Big W stock pot. Pouring the hot wort into a 10L cube. "No chilling" then pitching the yeast directly into the cube.

It could not be easier and I'd recommend this method as the cheapest and easiest for anyone just starting out - and with limited time and space.

I've done about a dozen brews this way, but I'm expecting Santa to deliver a Grainfather this week (so much of that methodology above will be changing)

moodgett said:
I'm sorry, but recommending someone pour 10 litres of sticky boiling wort into a cube is not a responsible comment...
I fail to see how this is in any way irresponsible considering the number of people who no-chill without complaints of burning themselves. Indeed, I did just this a couple of weeks ago. Skin all intact. It's not as if you stand with your boiling kettle above the cube pouring carefully and hoping not to spill. If you (the no-chill cuber) have a modicum of nouse, you'd realise that.

Buy an urn and make your own BigWurn Father.

PB280009.JPG PB280002.JPG

welly2 said:
I fail to see how this is in any way irresponsible considering the number of people who no-chill without complaints of burning themselves. Indeed, I did just this a couple of weeks ago. Skin all intact. It's not as if you stand with your boiling kettle above the cube pouring carefully and hoping not to spill. If you have a modicum of nouse, you'd realise that.
I now realise that challenging something is clearly not acceptable. Some things to consider. The OP is a kit brewer, he may not have done a wort boil. Clearly he wants to learn and find out info. But one thing you shouldn't assume that just just because many other people do something without incident, doesnt mean it'll never happen. And we are actually talking about holding a kettle of hot wort and pouring it into a cube.

I think Moodgett's heart is in the right place.

Advice to a newbie to carry out a process that is hazardous without a cautionary note of the right way to do it is IMVHO bordering on the irresponsible.

Its easy to forget that we were all ignorant once and newbies should be guided towards not just good brewing, but good, safe brewing.

(In a similar vein I've read recent posts about cleaning vessels and people have brazenly said things like 'hot caustic works best', with no advice on how to safely store, mix, use, and dispose of caustic soda.)

moodgett said:
And we are actually talking about holding a kettle of hot wort and pouring it into a cube.
No we're not :) We're talking about feeding the wort through a silicone tube into a cube. Does anyone actually hold the kettle? Surely not.. :unsure:

But as Feldon said, I think your intentions are in the right place!

welly2 said:
No we're not :) We're talking about feeding the wort through a silicone tube into a cube. Does anyone actually hold the kettle? Surely not.. :unsure:

But as Feldon said, I think your intentions are in the right place!
For my first AG BIAB I no chilled, safely lifted and poured 2 x 19L pots through a funnel (and strainer) into the cube. It was probably safer than carrying my 2 pots to the sink to chill.

More importantly do not pour hot wort from the kettle straight into cube/fermenter that is sitting on the kitchen floor. Floor vinyl melts and wives don't forget.

10L Bunnings cubes are excellent, if you get into full volume then two of them make ideal no chill cubes for a keg sized brew, and cool down a lot quicker than a single cube (surface to volume ratio).

Use funnel in your case.

bradsbrew said:
More importantly do not pour hot wort from the kettle straight into cube/fermenter that is sitting on the kitchen floor. Floor vinyl melts and wives don't forget.
:icon_offtopic: On a different tangent, be careful when using acid based sanitisers near kitchen benches.

The only burn I've received from no-chilling was jamming my knee into the cube to expel the air whilst wearing shorts. Nothing serious, just an ouch moment, followed by a "you knobhead" moment.

Moodgett must be an OH&S officer.

They get payed to forget that people have brains and go out of there way to ban things that anyone who has enough intelligence to be classified as a being above a carrot can generally figure out the potential dangers of and ways around them themselves with no word being spoken......

Cheers.

Back