Crown Urn BIAB or Grainfather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spend $50 and get a tap and silicone hose, whack it onto the pot, job done... no mess, no fuss transistion into the CUBE OF DEATH!!!!!

Thought this would be an appropriate pic at this point in the thread.
Tap cost $60
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1418722064.676711.jpg

wow.

I purchased three of those taps recently from my local hydraulics/plumbing joint for $15 each...Granted didnt have the (I assume no weld fitting) or the brass (looking) barb but there about $10 combined...And i so wouldnt use a brass barb personally.

NW mate.

I frequently take what i class as obvious for granted, and know that sometimes the sheerly obvious factor isnt that apparent to some people....So appreciate your OP.

Really i just felt like having a bitch about OH&S officers.....

Cheers.

real_beer said:
You should also take into account if you going to recirculate the BIAB system or build a hoist for draining the bag, whether basic or more sturdy. All the fittings and bits and pieces add up quickly if you have to buy them at a retail level. If I was just getting into the hobby now I'd sit in on a few brew days or watch lots of YouTube vids, then visit the stores that sell the automatic system when they show them being used, most do. I can say now that if I was going down the automatic path I wouldn't build it myself again if saving money was my main motive. The manufactured units might seem expensive but they turn out to be great value when the initial shock of their price wears off and are examined more closely, plus the manufactures and suppliers seem more than happy to address any problems a customer has.

You might as well know now that if you get bitten by the all grain bug your wallet is also going to be bitten for many years to come. So find a retail supplier you trust and give him your credit cards so you'll be able to get any equipment and supplies you may, or may not need instantly.

Your probably not going to be happy until you have:
Your own grain mill
check

2 to 20.......... 30 ...........? Cornelius Kegs.
15 at the moment... was just explaining to SWMBO on the weekend how I need to keep my eyes out for a few more... because... reasons.

CO2 Bottle or 6.
two...

1 to ? tap Kegerator.
4 tap kegerator, 3 tap miracle mini pub, 1 tap mini miracle keg... and a party tap.

A host of temperature controllers.
5 at last count... :-\

Heating belts and pads.
couple of heat belts. Could use another.

Basic followed by high-tech thermometers.
Doesn't get much more hitech than a thermapen...

1 to ? Stainless Steel Conical Fermenter's.
Have pre-aproval to get a Chronical one day :)

Multiple fridges or even a cold room.
2x 400L all fridge for fermenting, 5 keg chesty for conditioning/storage, 5 keg dispense fridge + yeast bank + hop/vodka freezer

Transfer & reticulation pumps.
1x March 815C

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Plastic bins followed by Silo Storage for your grains.[/SIZE]
20 plastic pails, thinking of doing a bulk buy ;), my 400KG 'silo' pile used to be in the guest bedroom. Lucky them.

Dedicated brew shed and bar complete with its own toilet facilities to save the missus floor, wall, and ceiling cleaning duties in the house.
Coming...

Backyard Hop Farm .........
check

followed by an apple orchard for your cider
check

..............and bees for your meads.
bee alergy. I think not.

Smoke-house,
check

dehydrators.
check

A Vacuum Sealer or ?
check

Most brewing gadgets and equipment you see other people are selling day to day on the net or forums.
check
Undertake world tours to discover the subtle nuances needed to apply to a particular style of beer you wish to create.
etc. ......etc. ....... etc.
check, planning a trip to bavaria and pilsen in November...

All leading to the eventual conclusion of you building your[SIZE=13.63636302948px] own Craft Brewery![/SIZE]

getting there....

[SIZE=13.63636302948px]Then you can:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=13.63636302948px]​Start [/SIZE]supplying your local restaurants with kegs of your loving creations.
Buy a high speed bottling and labelling machine for nation-wide distribution.
Add a restaurant of your own and create many new jobs in the process.
Book gigs on 'Basic Brewing Radio', 'BeerSmith Home Brewing', 'The Brewing Network', podcasts.
Start your own podcast, brewing software offering, or on-line brew shop.

Make sure you choose your partner wisely because they'll have to live with a truly focused and obsessed lunatic for many years to come ........... maybe even the rest of their life!
Great list... little bit concerned ;)

Stux said:
Great list... little bit concerned ;)
yeah!!! he missed some stuff,
stir plates, and all the glassware to go with it,
beer filters,
scales accurate enough to weigh out nose candy, more scales for the grain bill,
the minni pub in the double garage (on the way), with pool table of course.
then there's the stuff you got stored for the next build( 100l pot, 90l pot, spare stainless bits).
And if your a bit of a tech nut you'll take on a project like the one I'm halfway through(but broke my hand so atleast 6 weeks till I start back into it) BrewPi and Raspberry pints running on a 32" TV mounted above the taps on the kegger. I was suposed to pick up the pool table this week but they were putting a cast on my hand at the time.

MB

That list points out exquisitely that Urn / Grainfather / Braumeister etc is only one stage in the journey of the grain from paddock to brain, namely the wort production stage.

In many ways, wort production isn't even the very heart of the brewing process... anecdotally one of the worst infected and manky beers I've ever tasted was from a $3400 Braumeister, whilst the well deserved AIPA winner in the NSW comp last year, that I had the privilege of tasting, even though it was out of the return bottle in the prep area, was brewed as a partial a-la-Woolies $19 stockpot.

I think the Grain father is a great bit of kit but have to throw my 2 cents in. The Grain father is basically touted as a 1v system and the need for a second vessel is almost brushed over with the hype in most reports. It is a 2v system and this is what put me off obtaining one. Basically you can not make the beer you want with a Grain Father, unless you do other things to make it work properly. Bang, it's finally off my chest.

Even with the sparge urn, less than half the price of a 20L BM. (For the record I own neither).

MastersBrewery said:
yeah!!! he missed some stuff,
stir plates, and all the glassware to go with it,
beer filters,
scales accurate enough to weigh out nose candy, more scales for the grain bill,
the minni pub in the double garage (on the way), with pool table of course.
then there's the stuff you got stored for the next build( 100l pot, 90l pot, spare stainless bits).
And if your a bit of a tech nut you'll take on a project like the one I'm halfway through(but broke my hand so atleast 6 weeks till I start back into it) BrewPi and Raspberry pints running on a 32" TV mounted above the taps on the kegger. I was suposed to pick up the pool table this week but they were putting a cast on my hand at the time.

MB
Stirplate, 0.5, 1, 2 & 5L Erlenmeyer flasks ;)

Tenth gramscales (great for hops)
1-3000g scales (good for yeast starters)
1g-35KG (great for grain)

Need some better than tenth scales for salt additions

Just bought a welder. I need a brew stand ;)

Brew Forky said:
I think the Grain father is a great bit of kit but have to throw my 2 cents in. The Grain father is basically touted as a 1v system and the need for a second vessel is almost brushed over with the hype in most reports. It is a 2v system and this is what put me off obtaining one. Basically you can not make the beer you want with a Grain Father, unless you do other things to make it work properly. Bang, it's finally off my chest.
I don't understand. Why can't you make the beer you want?

Back