Crown concealed element users

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewy

Reaction score
Anyone got a good method to keep the element from getting wort caked onto it during the boil?
I find 60 mins usually no problems but on the occasional 90 minute boil i have had it cut out. Currently i use the spoon the scrape it periodically & avoid this issue, but has anyone come up with a better solution?

I am thinking along the lines of a steel brush on a wooden handle or something like that.

Thoughts?

I got one of these stainless steel pizza peels and I cut the bottom and sides off and I use this to scrape the build up off the cover of the element. I scrape it off around every 15 mins, but a bit more often at the start of boil when the proteins are breaking out. It helps with the transfer of heat to the wort and stops the element from overheating.

If you cut the edges then passivate the steel again before using it.

Link >>>
http://www.nisbets.com.au/Stainless-Steel-Pizza-Peel/DL547/ProductDetail.raction

Can't say I've had much problem yet, but given I'm only a few brews into using it there may be later on.
I was going to use a green scourer.

Hey Stouter, as I understand it, the OP means removing the build up during the boil. He needs to prevent the build up from getting too big or it cuts out due to the element overheating. I think you mean using a scourer afterwards to clean up, which is what I use.

Yep, green cloth scourer for brew clean up, not mid boil.

I've never had that problem during a boil yet. But consider that I'm pretty green to all this with a grand total of 5 urn brews under my belt, and I do mean under my belt as I've drunk them all and I'm sure they contribute substantially to my sizable gut.

Sounds like a real PITA and would turn me off the simplicity and convenience of a BIAB urn. The most I've found on my concealed element section has been a mild film of skanky looking grub which scrubs of with a little sodium percarb soak and a light scrubbing brush, if that!

I have heard of people having problems with the exposed elements caking up, cut out happening, and having to get a wirebrush onto them, but not concealed.
Come to think though, my urn was advertised by the seller as having a factory mod of the cut out. Maybe that's a part of why it's no problem, but doesn't explain why I still don't get the build up. Without a cut off I'd expect more build up.
Are you boiling something special? Some carazzy adjuncts which I can only dream off? It could be the 5g@10 min of Meth addition you've been doing.
My brews have just been Stouts, Porter, and Pale Ales, so I might not be getting the 'full effect'.

So it might come down to the recipe or the mill?! Better theory than the Meth additions.

I used to use a stainless steel scourer cable tied to a cut off wooden broom handle to give the plate a bit of a scrub during the boil. Worked a treat.

I have a Crown urn concealed. I have replaced the cut out switch 4 times. I ended up modding it and using it as hlt.

Each time I changed the cutout switch it worked a little while, 5 batches or so, but then it kept on cutting out.

I gave up on it and went 3v. I realised it was taking so long to reach boil I went ots elements and love them. Scraping the element worked only sometimes.

Markbeer said:
I have a Crown urn concealed. I have replaced the cut out switch 4 times. I ended up modding it and using it as hlt.

Each time I changed the cutout switch it worked a little while, 5 batches or so, but then it kept on cutting out.

I gave up on it and went 3v. I realised it was taking so long to reach boil I went ots elements and love them. Scraping the element worked only sometimes.
I have done 364 brews in my concealed element urn. I get varying amounts of buildup but it has never cut out. Rye is the worst culprit. I scrape the element cover with my brew paddle before the boil begins and that works.

I agree about Rye, only happened to me twice and both times with Rye.

Black Devil Dog said:
I used to use a stainless steel scourer cable tied to a cut off wooden broom handle to give the plate a bit of a scrub during the boil. Worked a treat.
//. That sounds perfect & easy to assemble. I've only ever had it happen once in many brews, but nice to have that to give it a scrub every 15mins during the boil for piece of mind.

Only time is when I use Rye. And I love Rye.
I also find that the mash out helped exacerbate the issue.

Simmo1972 said:
I agree about Rye, only happened to me twice and both times with Rye.
1e3o9v.jpg

I use a paint stirrer to clean the element between mash out and start of boil. Over 200 brews, 70 min boils and average 3.5 litres/hour evaporation. No cut outs.

stewy said:
//. That sounds perfect & easy to assemble. I've only ever had it happen once in many brews, but nice to have that to give it a scrub every 15mins during the boil for piece of mind.
I'd be worried that a stainless steel scourer would leave scratch marks. I only ever use a green scouring pad (with a sponge on the other side).

ianh said:
I use a paint stirrer to clean the element between mash out and start of boil. Over 200 brews, 70 min boils and average 3.5 litres/hour evaporation. No cut outs.
. Do you have some sort of sponge or scourer on the end of the paint stirrer?

Back