Exposed element in "Concealed Element" Crown urn?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuperman

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Crown urn from the LHBS.

The box says that it has a "New Concealed Element". I believe it should also be with the upgraded cut-off based on the fact that it was only despatched from Crown in November this year. Do Crown even still make them with the lower cut-off?

20141230_205514.jpg

But for some reason it has this weird element thing in it. Seems to void the easy-clean, concealed element concept.

20141230_205439.jpg

Any idea what this is?

Looks like I'm going to have to return it once they reopen in the new year but not sure if all of the urns they receive are like this or we (I got another one for a mate at the same time) just got unlucky somehow.

Been a few years but i used to sell urns (exciting stuff i know!!). Is certainly a new design to their previous. Are some other brands on the market if you want exposed element. The Roband are the best for S/S quality. Jomack (if they are still around) are a cheaper make. I would look to a commercial hospitality supplies business. Expect you would pay less than at LHBS as they generally give trade prices to walk ins regardless of whether you are in the business. The one I worked for sold all sorts of beer equip and glassware also.

I'm actually after the concealed element. According to the box, that's what I bought.

Crown has received good reviews on this site for use in BIAB (as long as it's the upgraded 150degC boil dry cut-off.

Didn't think to check out a hospitality supply. Not sure what brands other than Crown and Birko are appropriate for BIAB. The Crown urn at the LBHS was cheaper than I'd seen online at other HB suppliers.

The heating element is concealed underneath the central stainless circular section. Wack some water in there and turn it on and you'll see where the heat is being generated.

Just next to it is a sensor used to control the urn. The 6 holed piece is just a cover protecting the sensor. Fyi you can just yank the protector off for cleaning purposes.

So, I guess this is still easy clean in that the wort won't stick to the element like it would for an exposed one. I'll just have to be careful when cleaning around the sensor.

Thanks for your help. Crisis: averted, I believe.

The round part is the concealed element, the long bit is the cover for the thermostat.
You have a concealed crown urn.
The upgraded cut off switch isnt guaranteed due to age, it is an upgrade. You will know if you need it or not simply by doing a batch in it

Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed that it's the right one. It's a shame that Crown don't indicate somewhere which one it is so that you don't have to try it first.

Yeah, I read that you could buy the upgrade but wasn't sure if changing it would void the warranty (some retailers make special note that the element was upgraded by Crown).

The LBHS say they sell these all of the time. I'm sure they would have heard from customers if it couldn't hold a boil.

Cheers, can't wait to grab some ingredients and give it a whirl.

I guess the other aspect that I was concerned about with this thermostat, was any effect that it may have on whirlpooling. My guess would be that it may affect the cone but the trub should still sink to the bottom (and mostly in the middle).

thuperman said:

I guess the other aspect that I was concerned about with this thermostat, was any effect that it may have on whirlpooling. My guess would be that it may affect the cone but the trub should still sink to the bottom (and mostly in the middle).
Seriously you are really worrying about nothing. Give the urn a go and you will find it is perfectly capable of everything you want to do. I have the same one and the thermostat thing has never given me any trouble at all, for whirlpooling or otherwise.

I had my picture ready and just about to make the same post but thought I'd to a search first in case someone beat me to it. I am waiting for the weather to cool down before I chuck a brew through it.

The concern I have is when BIABing is that gunk could get trapped under the protective cover, covering the thermostat and cutting out the boil. Don't want to take the protective cover off because it doesn't look solid enough to take a hit from a mash paddle or stirring spoon.

Spose I'm just shooting the breeze because I haven't put a brew through it and will find out in a couple of days.

thuperman said:
Yeah, I read that you could buy the upgrade but wasn't sure if changing it would void the warranty (some retailers make special note that the element was upgraded by Crown).

The LBHS say they sell these all of the time. I'm sure they would have heard from customers if it couldn't hold a boil.
Ask your LHBS.

We've been told by Crown that the urns we're selling have the upgrade already fitted prior to us receiving them.

Rob.P said:
The round part is the concealed element, the long bit is the cover for the thermostat.
You have a concealed crown urn.
The upgraded cut off switch isnt guaranteed due to age, it is an upgrade. You will know if you need it or not simply by doing a batch in it
Yes, it is.

thuperman said:
Thanks for the heads up. Fingers crossed that it's the right one. It's a shame that Crown don't indicate somewhere which one it is so that you don't have to try it first.

It will be the right one

Rob.P said:
If not the upgrade is about $15 from crown plus delivery and can be swapped really easily.

won't be needed

thuperman said:

Do it with confidence. You got what you need. The cleaning isn't an issue and all is good in the world.
:D

Spose I'm just shooting the breeze because I haven't put a brew through it and will find out in a couple of days.
Quoting myself. I repeat myself to the Mrs all the time so it's normal for me.

Gave it a run today. Boil was beautiful. No issues. Under shot my finishing volume but live and learn.

One issue I had was with the protective cover for the thermostat. Gave it a whirlpool, went and got some tongs because I realised I still had the hop sock in there and pulled it out. Attached to the hop sock was the protective cover. No apparent damage to the thermo, but could be a trap for punters if the same thing happens and they pull in the wrong direction.

Thanks, guys. I might try to confirm with the LHBS, but pretty confident that it is all good. I have my last extract brew fermenting at the moment. Next will be BIAB in my new urn!

I completed the first run of my new urn yesterday.

Friggin fantastic. One cube full of 1050 APA.

Boiled like a beauty.

Sure beats my old bigW pots on camp stove setup.

HBHB said:
Yes, it is.

It will be the right one

won't be needed

Do it with confidence. You got what you need. The cleaning isn't an issue and all is good in the world.
:D
So I guess what you are saying as that in the last couple of years (since I bought mine), Crown has come to the party and started putting the higher cut-off switch in before sending to the home brew shops.

Do you know if this is true for all the Crown urns or only for the ones sold from a LHBS?

Latest posts

Back