Crown concealed element users

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birkdale Bob said:
I'd be worried that a stainless steel scourer would leave scratch marks. I only ever use a green scouring pad (with a sponge on the other side).
. Do you have it on the end of a piece of wood or something? How does the sponge handle boiling temp?

stewy said:
. Do you have it on the end of a piece of wood or something? How does the sponge handle boiling temp?
No it has a hexagonal base similar to the one in Bribie G's Using a 40L electric urn thread but the hexagonal part is coated with plastic or something, so it does not scratch and withstands the heat.

I never scrubbed mine leading up to the boil because I was out washing the bag etc so that may explain my problems.

Still I rather like the more powerful elements and get to a boil quicker and just leave it alone. I hated having to check it to see if it had cut out or not.

I use a stainless steel wire brush on the end of a long handle to scrub the element cover prior to bringing it to the boil. It works really well. Obviously I still get crap build up on it, and occasionally during a 90 minute boil it might cut out a bit towards the end which another quick scrub fixes. After the urn is emptied, a combination of an initial scrub with a plastic brush with some hot water, then boiling a bit of water and citric acid gets rid of it (this also removes that brown scaly shit with the aid of some steel wool). Thing comes up like new every time and no rust issues either.

Rocker1986 said:
I use a stainless steel wire brush on the end of a long handle to scrub the element cover prior to bringing it to the boil. It works really well. Obviously I still get crap build up on it, and occasionally during a 90 minute boil it might cut out a bit towards the end which another quick scrub fixes. After the urn is emptied, a combination of an initial scrub with a plastic brush with some hot water, then boiling a bit of water and citric acid gets rid of it (this also removes that brown scaly shit with the aid of some steel wool). Thing comes up like new every time and no rust issues either.
Might be a dumb question but did the steel brush come with a long handle or did you attach to a handle? If so, how did you attach it?
Cheers

It didn't come with a long handle, so one had to be attached, but I'll grab a pic of it tomorrow which will help me explain it better; it is basically the handle held into a small piece of timber by a screw through the back/front, then this small piece of timber screwed into the existing brush handle.

Sorry I forgot to grab a pic yesterday but got one now. The small piece of wood has a hole in it that the handle goes into affixed by that middle screw, then the whole thing is screwed to the cut off brush handle, and that's it. :D

IMG_1034.JPG

Thanks mate. That's perfect & similar to the picture I had in my head!

No worries mate. I did varnish the wooden parts as well just so they don't soak up wort and whatever.

Latest posts

Back