Creatures - Best Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoNG

RIP-FaB (BiBIFaP)
Reaction score
Just popped in my Inbox, for the Perth crew....
(Hopefully no one else has posted it)

Special Bitter Now on Tap!

Hi Hopheads,

Here at the brewery we have been very busy in the lead up to Christmas. But not so busy we couldn't have a bit of fun...

A while back we held a little brewing competition between our brewing and packaging guys - each entrant was to craft their own beer for a blind judging. The winner would have their brew replicated in the 10,000L brewhouse. So after much tasting, debate and more tasting, the big trophy went to Cam Barron, Packaging Man, with his Special Bitter.

Special Bitter (sometimes referred to as "Best Bitter") is a traditional english style of beer with a moderate alcohol content and firm bitternes. The beer was produced with a blend of Pale Ale, Crystal and Belgian Aromatic Malts. It is a "single-hop" beer, produced with 100% East Kent Goldings (traditional UK hop) used in several additions early and late kettle, along with whirlpool.

The results is a bold beer with a golden hue - the hop aroma is more subtle and "english" (think of an old stately fellow), but the bitterness will give you a run for you money. Nice little early summer session beer.....

The specs for the beer lovers:

Alcohol = 4.2% ABV

BU = 34.0 IBU

Colour = 22 EBC

It will be on tap at Little Creatures starting Friday 3rd December while supplies last. And for those not living a stones throw from the brewery - we will have it on tap in select outlets around the country - check with your local.....

Cheers!

Sounds like the most recent beer I brewed, but mine is probably darker.

all EKG.

Maris Otter Malt (Thomas Fawcetts Floor Malted)
Caraaroma Malt (Weyermann)
Carafa Special T1 Malt (Weyermann)

Awesome beer.

whats the time lag there, its the 4th on friday :), sounds like a good drop though, I'm jealous I won't get to try it

...and no C-hops in sight. That's a first for LC! :p
Hope this makes it across the Nullarbor some time soon.
I wonder what yeast it was fermented with?

...and no C-hops in sight. That's a first for LC! :p
Hope this makes it across the Nullarbor some time soon.
I wonder what yeast it was fermented with?

Exactly what im thinking... might swing by the little creatures dining hall tonight on the way home after beers in the city. The worst that can happen is i have to get a pale ale instead :icon_chickcheers:

I'll be in there in not to distant future for a couple of pints of this.

Batz

Pretty rad having an internal LC homebrewing comp.

Damn, It would be nice to have access to these sorts of beers

Wonder if a keg will make its way to the Wheaty for the Adelaide folks? I take it there will be none left next time I am in Perth (mid January).

Special Bitter (sometimes referred to as "Best Bitter") is a traditional english style of beer with a moderate alcohol content and firm bitternes. The beer was produced with a blend of Pale Ale, Crystal and Belgian Aromatic Malts. It is a "single-hop" beer, produced with 100% East Kent Goldings (traditional UK hop) used in several additions early and late kettle, along with whirlpool.

what, no Galaxy?

Sounds lovely, I'll have to make sure I drop in for a taster.

Looks like the wheaty should get a few kegs I imagine :chug:

Tried the Special Bitter at Creatures last night at the main bar and I was very happy with it. Then walked over to the cellar door and the barman poured me a LCSB through the hand pump ..... oh yeah . I invite all the WA folks down to try our new Special Bitter and I will find out which lucky pubs will be getting kegs for those interstate ahb'rs who are wanting to try this tasty brew .

Tried the Special Bitter at Creatures last night at the main bar and I was very happy with it. Then walked over to the cellar door and the barman poured me a LCSB through the hand pump ..... oh yeah . I invite all the WA folks down to try our new Special Bitter and I will find out which lucky pubs will be getting kegs for those interstate ahb'rs who are wanting to try this tasty brew .

Congratualtions Cam, what other beers were put up for consideration? Will we ever see a IIPA at the brewery?

Congratualtions Cam, what other beers were put up for consideration? Will we ever see a IIPA at the brewery?
All sorts of different styles were put forward in the comp. The Special Bitter was the best suited to summer of the beers entered as well as being a really tasty drop. If we were to brew a strong ale it most likely would not be released in summer.

Looks like the wheaty should get a few kegs I imagine :chug:

Ok guys you should not have to wait to long, was kegged Thursday and shipped Friday.

All the regulars are getting some; the Wheaty is getting both normal and direct out of the filter for putting on the hand pump, the dinning hall, the Royston, the local tap houses in VIC and NSW and I have been told that it is even heading up to Queensland, so it should not be to hard for you guys to get a taste.

The rules where that it had to be our house strain of yeast, hops from our hop cellar and our base malt but the rest was up to you.

I entered a beer in the comp, it was a hybrid American wheat and APA, my idea and recipe where good but my utilization and fermentation where not, stopped short and I had a beer stuck at 3.7 P when I wanted it to attenuate to 2.5 P, so I missed by ABV and also my IBU's where low 24 instead of 34, I did get the utilization I was expecting out of the hop back, but this is the thing about brewing, you learn by your mistakes, next time I make this beer I will nail it for sure, or maybe the time after!!!!

I didn't have a chiller so I had to no chill; I think that this was the cause of my high AE, no wort oxygenation, but even though it didn't turn out right it was fun cooking it up in my kitchen, I even had a boil over and hot wort went everywhere. I was pretty impressed with what I could make with $100 worth of brewing gear.

Congratulations Cam, I'm looking forward to next year's competition when I will have my long awaited brew house finished and I will be able to give you a run for your money Mr. Barron.

Cheers

Brett

Ok guys you should not have to wait to long, was kegged Thursday and shipped Friday.

All the regulars are getting some; the Wheaty is getting both normal and direct out of the filter for putting on the hand pump, the dinning hall, the Royston, the local tap houses in VIC and NSW and I have been told that it is even heading up to Queensland, so it should not be to hard for you guys to get a taste.

The rules where that it had to be our house strain of yeast, hops from our hop cellar and our base malt but the rest was up to you.

I entered a beer in the comp, it was a hybrid American wheat and APA, my idea and recipe where good but my utilization and fermentation where not, stopped short and I had a beer stuck at 3.7 P when I wanted it to attenuate to 2.5 P, so I missed by ABV and also my IBU's where low 24 instead of 34, I did get the utilization I was expecting out of the hop back, but this is the thing about brewing, you learn by your mistakes, next time I make this beer I will nail it for sure, or maybe the time after!!!!

I didn't have a chiller so I had to no chill; I think that this was the cause of my high AE, no wort oxygenation, but even though it didn't turn out right it was fun cooking it up in my kitchen, I even had a boil over and hot wort went everywhere. I was pretty impressed with what I could make with $100 worth of brewing gear.

Congratulations Cam, I'm looking forward to next year's competition when I will have my long awaited brew house finished and I will be able to give you a run for your money Mr. Barron.

Cheers

Brett

Someone actually cloned gage roads new world wheat...

Cheers

Brett

Gidday,

anywhere besides Fremantle in Perth? It's a bit of a hike for me but I'd love to try it somewhere closer to the city.

Nice one, Cam. I hope there's some at the GB over here next fri...

Nice one Cam .
Now that means I will have to go in to the Wheaty and try this one!
What a great reward for a competition...

Back