Craft Brewers Rethink Rice In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problem using rice in brews. Or sugar, maize etc.

It's just a matter of degree. All these things can be good servants, but are poor masters.

great little read.

"According to Ogle, the anti-rice sentiment is traceable to the early craft brewing revival in the 1980s. "It was all about, 'We're only using four ingredients, we're not like those industrial brewers making watered-down, cheap beer by using adjuncts like rice.'" yeah like corn isnt an adjunct that US brewers use.

I love this
"I don't put rice in my beer," begins a proclamation against low-quality ingredients in "I Am a Craft Brewer," a promotional craft brewing video co-produced by Greg Koch, co-founder and chief executive of Escondido-based Stone Brewing Co., the largest American-owned brewery in the Southwest and a craft beer distributor.

how narrow minded for a 'craftbrewer'

Im looking forward to my Pacific Jasmine Lager I have conditioning!

IM looking forward to dumping ym starter onto my Rice lager tonight :)

I dumped the infected one on in the garden. Luckily we did a double batch of that! Was looking forward to seeing what the American Yeast was like though! The good one is d resting at the moment!

cornflakes.JPG

:icon_drool2:

Quite apart from imparting intriguing flavours and smoothness, I find that rice and maize - polenta or ALDI* - are great in BIAB as they mostly disappear during the mash and I always seem to end up with a very small light dry bag of spent grain as opposed to a big 6kg all malt bill which is like trying to wrestle the Blob.

* Any sign of ALDI in WA yet?

I used rice the other night for the first time, didn't appear to have any issues, got no complaints so far.

Out of interest, how much Corn Flakes do you add Bribie? An example of a typical grain would be nice....

Do you have any issues with sodium content of them?

Cheers SJ

Out of interest, how much Corn Flakes do you add Bribie? An example of a typical grain would be nice....

You would probabaly go with the same amounts as used with corn grits/flaked or polenta, around 20% of your grist~. As ive pointed out in other threads, watch the sodium content of boxed cereal, if the Na content is too high it can play with the flavour profile in your beer dramatically, especially if you add sulphate. An option could be to steep the corn flakes in water before putting them into the mash to knock off some of the salt. Ive been tempted todo a 'milo cereal' porter except its LOADED with calcium. It would work out being 173ppm~ Ca without any water additions in the final volume! :eek:

I used a kilo of cornflakes and I would have to say that it probably knocked the 'freshness' of the brew a bit. I reckon that 500g would do fine, I normally use 500 of Polenta and a box-a-flakes is a tempting alternative, no boiling up and clean up of stockpot etc. A pre wash sounds like a good idea, unlike breakfast they don't need to be crispy crunchy to use in a mash :D

I normally use 500 of Polenta and a box-a-flakes is a tempting alternative, no boiling up and clean up of stockpot etc.

Apparantly its fine to add polenta directly to the mash as its within its gelatinisation temps. i for one would rehydrate it overnight as a bare minimum considering how much water it usually takes on.

I love this
"I don't put rice in my beer," begins a proclamation against low-quality ingredients in "I Am a Craft Brewer," a promotional craft brewing video co-produced by Greg Koch, co-founder and chief executive of Escondido-based Stone Brewing Co., the largest American-owned brewery in the Southwest and a craft beer distributor.

how narrow minded for a 'craftbrewer'

Look at the beers he makes, not really a direction predisposed to rice.

Anybody adding cornflakes to a brew might want to take the sodium content into consideration, as it is considerable.

Three best adjuncts/whole grains I have discovered for home brewing beer.
  1. Rice
  2. Polenta
  3. Rye (not a real adjunct but the way I use it these days it may as well be)
All great and all bring something extra to the finished beer.

Im assuming you read my concerns above Geoffi?!?! :p

Me 2. I had the same concerns with Wheatbix additions of up to 500g in a recent stout. The finished beer didn't seem to mind it though. Is the concern with Soduium something to do with water profile and therefore yeast Geoffi or just flavour more generally?

Meanwhile more OT..

How's about posting your rice recipes folks? As the hot weather approaches I'm pretty interested in this.

Latest posts

Back