Craft Beer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAC

Reaction score
Moved from K&K, extract boil's & now about to do my 3rd BIAB which I realy the whole process ( especially mashing aroma )
But what defines home brewing from "Craft Beer".
Is A/G Brewing still home brew or craft?
Was asked the other day & to be honest I had no answer.

You may call it whatever you wish - hand-crafted, artisanal, home brewed, DIY beer....

Craft beer is a term used to differentiate between the mega brewing companies and the smaller micro-, nano- breweries. Implying the former to be mega-swill factories as opposed to a brewery that crafts its beer.
In many countries it is applied to breweries with an output less than a designated amount

Personally, I consider "craft beer" to be beer that is sold commercially by individual self-owned breweries. They are free to take risks and innovate.

The opposite of craft beer in my mind is beer like Tooheys etc sold commercially by massive corporations brewed by externally controlled "drone" breweries. They brew what they are told to brew, there is no room for innovation, 100% of the focus is on profit per litre.

"Home brew" is not "craft beer" in my mind because it's not sold commercially. That said, I dislike the stigma that exists with the term "home brew". Everybody assumes home brew tastes like shit at best or is poisonous at worst (thanks, mass media).

If it wasn't for the bad name "home brew" has from dodgy K&K hot fermented Coopers I don't think people would have a problem calling themselves homebrewers.

I'm happy with homebrewer because I know in myself what I make, how I make it and the quality of the end product. Calling yourself a craft brewer is a wank if you are brewing at home IMO.

I am sure the craft brewer industry is keen to keep us seperate from them.
I think it is sad that "home made" is high praise for everything but beer. I mean if a shop is selling "home made" cake/pasta etc. you instantly think ooohh that will be good. But home made beer (or home brewed) has a bad stigma. People put you in with meth dealers brewing stuff up in your bath :). When I show people my setup and tell them about the lengths I go to ensure sanitation it chips away at their idea but ... The first thing most people ask me after I show and explain is "does it taste ok?" and they nearly all have the soy after taste face on when they ask.

Slash22000 think your on the money mate.
I always refer to my beers as "home brew" & yes shitty tins of the past have left a bad taste on people that say, yeah I tried home brew once years ago.
But as said , people are amazed to the length's we go to make great home brew, temp fridges,hygiene,ect.
As for "craft beer" my question has been answered, thanks fellas.
I think I'll pour another home brew!

I prefer to think of myself as more "artisanal"

I like to paint now and again and fart like a dray horse after a few pints.

In my CV (long-since redundant!) under "Hobbies/interests", I have "Craft-brewing". When questioned, I would point-out that I've spent $1000's on equipment, books etc, won multiple State/National/International prizes, Judge, VICBREW/AABC Chief Steward etc..etc... Obviously NOT just rocket-fuel-production.

As far as I'm concerned, people with the wrong conception are entitled to their myopic view (you ain't gonna change them in a hurry!!).

**** 'em! Let the ignorant continue with their swill & let's keep the good stuff for ourselves, eh? ;)

image.jpg

DAC said:
Moved from K&K, extract boil's & now about to do my 3rd BIAB which I realy the whole process ( especially mashing aroma )
But what defines home brewing from "Craft Beer".
Is A/G Brewing still home brew or craft?
Was asked the other day & to be honest I had no answer.
The operative word here is 'craft' and by implication 'craftmanship' (which I use in the generic, not the genetic, sense).

So what's craftsmanship? Work out what this means to you and you have your answer.

But you might find that many so called craft beers fall outside of the attributes and qualities you identify with craftsmanship, and many that do.

Back