Craft Beer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.beerbirrabier.com/2011/02/brood-why-craft-beer-means-something.html
Some beer is brewed purely to make money. The flavour of this beer and the processes used to make it are irrelevant; they are necessary cogs in a money making machine, and if the brewer can change them to increase the money he makes then he will, regardless of the impact it has. A production process driven by profit alone, we call this beer “Macro Beer”.

Some beer is brewed for experimentation, for investigation, through interest and enthusiasm, for the love of flavour. When this beer is made no consideration is given to cost or complexity of process; if there’s a way to make that beer better, the brewer will find it and will use it. A production process that’s enabled by skill and knowledge, driven by the quality of the final product. We call this beer “Homebrew”.

And then some beer finds itself sitting between these two groups. It’s made with the passion, skill and love that defines the homebrew, but it’s also sold to make the brewer a living. Profitability is critical, but it isn’t to the detriment of the finished beer. The brewer strives for balance, to achieve both a quality product, and enough money to live. What do we call this beer?

***​

It's a tough environment over on that macro side. Massive marketing budgets, corporate sponsorships, endless pounds to spend on research and the economies of scale. The only way that our plucky middle-group-hero can compete is by carving out a niche, identifying himself as something a bit different, something worthy of attention. That niche is quality, and his weapon is the reassurance that it's ok to pay a premium for something of significant quality. His identity, his banner, is "Craft Beer".

Appealing to this niche is critical if a foothold is to be established in that left hand group. The macro cannot be matched for price; the moment quality is brought into question or a beer is viewed as too expensive it fails, and the customer reverts to the cheap slabs piled high in the corner.

So slap the words “Craft Beer” on any old product and the jobs a goodun then? No. Branding, packaging, promotion; all critical in denoting a product as being one of quality. Take supermarkets; you see a black packet in Marks & Spencer or Tesco and you immediately think quality. Whether the banner is “Taste the difference”, “Finest” or “ASDA Extra Special” isn’t important, you’ll judge a beer on the appearance of the pump clip or bottle label way before you get a chance to read the small print. And all these things are only worthy of investment if the product’s right; the skill and expertise of the brewer have to be there in the first place, the proof of the pudding is in the eating they say, there’s no point in polishing a turd.

A banner does allow us to tie things together though, we with our natural human instinct to group, categorise and classify. It’s an enabler for providing us with a way to write and speak and communicate with more accuracy than by just saying “beer”. It’s an identity and a statement of intent.

The specific name we use isn’t the important thing here. “Craft Beer" or "Micro Beer or "Artisan Ale”, each would work equally well, and any preference for one over the other is exactly that - just a preference. A preference which is irrelevant, irrelevant for the reasons discussed and irrelevant because, like it or not, “Craft Beer” has become the de facto standard. “Craft Beer” puts emphasis on the craftsmanship behind the beer, on the skill and expertise of the brewer, on quality; as a banner, “Craft beer” works.

I think you should call it whatever you feel comfortable calling it. I call mine home made beer, to me it sounds better than home brew, which unfortunately does carry some baggage. If you want to call it craft beer, go for it, whatever you call it, you'll still be drinking better beer than most of the people you know.

:icon_offtopic: I have a Gorilla called George, but he was more into (Ahem!) "gardening" & wild, gratuitous sex than brewing...... :ph34r: I have photo's...... :huh:

manticle said:
I call mine George.
Ah that reminds me the brew I named Bruce, after the last "craft" thread, went down well.

The wife had a very perplexed look on her face when I told her "Bruce goes down good"

bradsbrew said:
Ah that reminds me the brew I named Bruce, after the last "craft" thread, went down well.

The wife had a very perplexed look on her face when I told her "Bruce goes down good"
'ere! is your name not Bruce?'

'No it's Michael'

"Well that's likely to get a bit confusen. Mind if we call ya bruce to keep it cleah?'

Unfortunately I think the big brewers like CUB are trying to own the craft beer labels so they don't get too big for their boots. Woolworths owns 20% of Gage Roads, Little Creatures, Matilda Bay and Malt Shovel get incorporated into the mainstream brewers so they don't threaten market share. I hope we get some truly big craft breweries like Sierra Nevada in the U.S.
You can brew whatever you like with a few simple ingredients and some skill, or craft of your own. We get too caught up on labels to justify what we do and enjoy.
Brew and enjoy.

I'm a crafty home brewer . That said some time ago I was working with a young guy and it was mentioned that I brewed my own beer . His reaction was aaaaaggghh home brew . I brought in a bottle the next day and after tasting it he said can you teach me to brew like this , he now brews his own .

I keep chickens in my backyard. The eggs are tastier than ones I can buy. I'm not a farmer.

I have several fruit trees. The fruit is better than any green grocer. I'm not an orchardist.

I bake bread as good as any I've ever paid money for. I'm not a baker.

I make my own sausages and smallgoods. I'm not a butcher.

Are we seeing a pattern yet?

Enjoy the hobby that is home brewing. It's bloody good fun.

Not For Horses said:
Are we seeing a pattern yet?
You deliberately ignoring the fact that there is a difference between a profession and a hobby? You are all those things. Well except the butchery, I guess. Perhaps more of a charcutier?

northside novice said:
why are us humans the only life form on this planet that destroys its own and other living things environment?
Uh, you ever watch a David Attenborough show?

Are you going for your koan black belt?

That's some deep shit.

Back