Coopers Real Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Righteo. And yes, the malts are generally from different palces. Coopers malts are quite good in my opinion, but I buy local to support the 'small guys' and they have a good product at a good price anyway.

Have your tried using specialty grains like Crystal or Munich? Both these grains will give a great taste to your beer - better than anything you can hope to get from a dried malt extract...be it liquid or dry.

Cheers - boingk

Do you mean caramunich? Munich is a base malt.

Have your tried using specialty grains like Crystal or Munich? Both these grains will give a great taste to your beer - better than anything you can hope to get from a dried malt extract...be it liquid or dry.

Cheers - boingk

No not yet. This will be my next step.
I am progressing to partials & experimenting with flavours in kits to see for myself what works for me.
The last Blue Mtns batch with 300gms of Coopers malt is 5 weeks old now & i will put the remaider in my spare fidge for another 2-3 weeks to see if it tones down a little.
I must ask my LHBS what there malt is, as i used 300gms of it in a previous brew & it was great.

Second brew was real ale brigalow brew sugars1 kg 50/50 malt/dex (i think?) and hop tea-ed a morgans saaz bag.
Tastes great but is flat and gutless. more malt/suger next time.

Just bottled that brew. Used Coopers Australian Pale Ale instead of Real Ale. It smells magnificent so I can't wait to try it. My biggest concern is carbonation. Gotta keep the bottles warm enough to get the dextrose fully fermented. My second brew got cold early in the bottling and seems to have incomplete carbonation, swilled the bottles and warmed them up, hopefully they come good.

As an experiment I've used carb drops in 3 of the longnecks and dextrose into the others.

Doing another modified kit brew next in the 30L fermenter. Coopers IPA with a big addition of Cascade hops, CaraAroma and Crystal.

was about to say wtf at bottles too cold then i realise your in vic. fair enough. let me know how it goes. im off to craft brewer to grab some cent this week for neils centarillo so ill grab some extra and do this one in the next couple of weeks. anythoughts of using coops sparkling? i quite like the ibu's this fella puts out and both the recipes ive made using this have turned out quite nicely

was about to say wtf at bottles too cold then i realise your in vic. fair enough. let me know how it goes. im off to craft brewer to grab some cent this week for neils centarillo so ill grab some extra and do this one in the next couple of weeks. anythoughts of using coops sparkling? i quite like the ibu's this fella puts out and both the recipes ive made using this have turned out quite nicely

I'm sure you could use Sparkling. I used the Pale out of convenience. Can't wait to sample, hoping carbonation it a bit more complete with this brew. Will let you know in 12ish days on first impressions. Gonna leave the rest of the bottles for a full month though.

"manticle" said:
caramunich?

Yeah thats the one. Thanks for that!

"Jamie1" said:
I must ask my LHBS what there malt is, as i used 300gms of it in a previous brew & it was great.

It may be as simple as them having a high turn-over of it, so its always fresh when it gets to you. I can't imagine a Coopers malt pack sitting in a hot truck then a hot warehouse then a supermarket for weeks (months?) would be better than fresh stuff...whatever it may be...from the local.

Cheers - boingk

Back