Coopers Lager - What Went Wrong?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.mcsparron

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My first post but have been reading the forum for quite a while. What a great spot to discuss beer.

I have been brewing for the last 9 months and have brewed about 6 of the coopers draught kits with full success. I was in kmart the other day and saw the coopers brew kit on clearance $60 so i got one. In the the kit was the lager kit, so i have brewed it up with BE2 and fermented for 2 weeks. now i bottled it using carb drops and conditioned for another 2 weeks. i chilled 2 bottle for a friday night, poured it in to my glass and it tasted really winey and sweet and noticed it was not carb very well. so i have let it go for another 2 week and now it is more carb but still taste winey. I am guessing that the yeast has not consumed all the carb drops but it should have done that by now? What To Do?

Cheers Ben

At what temperature did you ferment it? What sugar/enhancer did you use besides be2?
Any other extras?

I just used 1 KG of the BE2 and fermented at about 18c to 20c.

No other Extras just followed instructions really

What temperature did you ferment at/where was the fermenter? Could be sweet because it didn't finish fermenting. Yeast works much slower at cooler temperatures... How anal were you about sanitising equipment?

Fermentation temp sounds fine as that kit probably comes with an ale yeast even though it says lager on the tin. What temp are your bottles sitting at? If they in the garage in Warrnambool, give them another couple of few weeks to carb up and then maybe a month or so before they actually taste any good.

It annoys me that Coopers say beer will be ready in two weeks, for me this has never been the case. More like 4 weeks.

I always found kit beer to be better after 3 months in the bottle.

Patience grasshopper

Lagers are not the "easiest" to brew, especially if not set up to control temperatures. The yeast with the tin I believe is a lager yeast and fermenting at 12 to 14 degrees would have been better. Having said that I would say your lager will not be that bad, but I'd leave 3 months plus before drinking, if it was a Coopers European Lager I think it says on the tin or instructions to leave for 12 weeks.
Cheers

Thanks guys for the input

The fermenter and the bottles are sitting inside and the missus is home with the kids so the house is keep around 15c to 22c.

I am pretty good with sanitising and to date had no infections.

Will give them a few more weeks and if still no good will start again I think.

My draught brews have never taken this long and they we're keep in the same conditions.

Cheers

hey mate, my first kit was a coopers euro lager...tasted shite until about 8 weeks in, then it was great...and it continued to get better the longer it was left

Is the head tight and creamy or loose and flat?

As others say it may need more time in the bottle. Loose and flat with a winey taste may indicate an infection......done a few of them.

soundawake said:
It annoys me that Coopers say beer will be ready in two weeks, for me this has never been the case. More like 4 weeks.
Maybe fermented in 2weeks. Then 2 weeks from the half drinkable and 2 weeks from then Lot more drinkable lol

grott said:
Lagers are not the "easiest" to brew, especially if not set up to control temperatures. The yeast with the tin I believe is a lager yeast and fermenting at 12 to 14 degrees would have been better.
Nope, Coopers original series "lager" has an ale yeast.

Trickymac said:
hey mate, my first kit was a coopers euro lager...tasted shite until about 8 weeks in, then it was great...and it continued to get better the longer it was left
Seconded, my first Kit & bits Euro lager was the same. When first opened a month after brewing it was palatable but with an awful smell, now (10 weeks later) the smell is gone and it tastes excellent.

Mind you I fermented at 14'c for 3 weeks...

indica86 said:
Nope, Coopers original series "lager" has an ale yeast.
I thought it was a Coopers European Lager therefore a lager yeast per your quote in thread "Heading in the Right Direction". It's no big deal but I'm now confused.
Cheers

Thanks guys for all your input & info. Will give it another month or two and see what happens. Will report back on the outcome.

Cheers and keep up the good work.

Latest posts

Back