Coopers Hbing Spoons

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pollux

RoachHaus Brewery
Reaction score
Coopers HB spoons (you know the big plastic white ones, we probably all have at least lying about) are useful for more than just stirring K+K.......

I had a stuck sparge the other day that wouldn't clear, turns out the braid had completely collapsed right at the end and was not letting much through at all, luckily I still had my BIAB bag laying about so I lined the urn, dumped the contents of the mashtun into it, the sparge water on top and all was well.

Then this morning I decided I'd simply remove the braid from it's fitting, cut off the collapsed section and then refit it, that was when I realised I could just slide the braid over the handy long spoon handle and voila, repaired braid.

Anyone else found another random purpose for their spoon?

Mine still works as a doughball basher! It's got a nice bow in it though :p

Sorry for the OT post:

Pollux - Put some slotted copper pipe inside your braid. It'll never collapse & you can sparge heaps quicker.

Back on topic:

After getting a big shiny stainless mash paddle about the only use my spoon gets now is taking samples for the refractometer.

Jez

Jez, good thinking......I was thinking about using some copper pipe but didn't think to make it slotted.....

Now, where to go buy a small amount of copper pipe??

Coopers HB spoons (you know the big plastic white ones, we probably all have at least lying about) are useful for more than just stirring K+K.......

I had a stuck sparge the other day that wouldn't clear, turns out the braid had completely collapsed right at the end and was not letting much through at all, luckily I still had my BIAB bag laying about so I lined the urn, dumped the contents of the mashtun into it, the sparge water on top and all was well.

Then this morning I decided I'd simply remove the braid from it's fitting, cut off the collapsed section and then refit it, that was when I realised I could just slide the braid over the handy long spoon handle and voila, repaired braid.

Anyone else found another random purpose for their spoon?

Wow one that hasn't broken yet ;)

Fingers crossed :lol:

Screwy

After my boil and whirlpool, I poke my big spoon down and kind of semi-cover my pickup tube with it, this acts as a crude hop screen! And it works. . . sometimes.

Another good idea is to get some 16g wire and wrap it around something round and slightly smaller than your braid. Remove the solid round bit and the wire coil now slides straight on in to your braid.
Also worth donsidering the longitivity of the material the wire is made of.

As seen

As for use of the big 'ol spoon....lets just say when the "wooden spoon" comes out...it ain't wooden.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back