Coopers golden ale recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuesmek

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm brewing the coopers golden ale recipe as per there website
I've got the whole thing in the fermenter, currently rehydrating the bry-97 west coast yeast, but the recipe says to also add the coopers tin yeast that comes with the Australian pale ale can?
My question is should I add or just toss the coopers kit yeast away?

Cheers guys

Bry-97 has a reputation of being a slow starter. If you pitch the bry-97 with the kit yeast, and the bry-97 takes off slowly, the kit yeast will dominate. That kind of defeats the purpose. But it shouldn't do any harm to pitch them both.

Bry-97 has a reputation of being a slow starter. If you pitch the bry-97 with the kit yeast, and the bry-97 takes off slowly, the kit yeast will dominate. That kind of defeats the purpose. But it shouldn't do any harm to pitch them both.

I ended up rehydrating the bry-50 and only throwing that in. I've got it in the fridge at 18 degrees, since I didn't pitch the coopers yeast how much longer should I let this brew ferment before I dry hop it? Or should I just wait until the fermentation stops bubbling away ?
Cheers for the advice

You can dry hop early in the fermentation or later when fermentation has almost finished. Some people dry hop throughout the fermentation. They put dry hops in for a bit and then remove them and then put another lot in. So I am not really sure when you ''should'' dry hop. Might be a good idea to google ''when to dry hop''.

Dry hop 4 days in and it will be fine. There are a lot of different methods and timings for dry hopping but dont get carried away with that yet. I'd suggest throwing the pellets in free for the best bang for buck. Putting them in socks and removing them reduces their effectiveness IMO (exposure of wort to less surface area) but also increases the likelihood of infection by opening the fermenter more often to take them out.

Bry-97 has a reputation of being a slow starter. .
Hey @hoppy2B it's been 6-7 days for the golden ale being in the fermenting fridge at 18• , there has been no air lock action at all? Is this normal? I took a gravity reading today it's at 10.3 , I even changed the ferment lid grommet as I thought maybe that wasn't sealed but nope, inside the top was full of the usual yeast working so don't no if it may be the yeast as I've never used this before

So you mean it is at 1030? You're not saying it is at 1003? 1030 is certainly high for day 6-7. 1003 would be done pretty much.

Do you know what the starting gravity was before you started fermenting? If it is below the starting gravity then something has obviously happened and it may not be finished yet. If the gravity hasn't changed then you will need to pitch another yeast to it.

I use glad wrap over the top when I ferment, so I no longer have any issues with airlock systems. I have only used Bry-97 once and don't remember what the fermentation looked like, but the beer seemed to turn out a lot more bitter than I was expecting. I have read that hop flavour levels are about the same with Bry-97 as what you get with US-05.

So you don't put a lid on you just seal it with glad wrap? Do you find it better then using a air lock system? As my fridge does not fit the airlock I had to make a bottle with water with plastic tubing that leads into the top of the fermenter

It's a lot simpler than faffing about with airlocks and blow-off tubes. I like being able to see through the glad wrap. I normally use a 60 litre fermenter, which is actually 70 litres including the space above the markings. I typically ferment small amounts in there, which gives a lot of head space and hence a lot of air exchange to provide oxygen to the yeast for the early part of the fermentation, until it fills with CO2.

@hoppy2B hey just a quick question, there is way too much trub it's actually over the drainage plug, I'm thinking to rack the brew to a clean water container (frantelle water) while I clean out the fermenter then put the brew back in it and cold crash, as I won't be able to bottle my beer with all that trub in the bottom

Does your water container have a tap? I have more than one fermenter, and I normally transfer from one to the next to bottle. Transferring the beer before bottling ensures you don't get a yeast ring (or less of one) around the top of your bottles. I normally use 5 grams a litre of white sugar boiled in a small amount of water and placed into the container into which you are transferring. It is recommended to put the sugar mixture into the container before transferring so that it mixes properly. Then you can bottle without the hassle of placing sugar into each bottle. Is is also a bit safer because the sugar is boiled.

So in other words, it would be best to get a second container for bottling. Cheers.

It does have a tap but I won't be using it, I'm picking up three more fermenters this week but I really wanted to cold crash the larger I've done and also the golden ale as they have been in primary for quiet some time now

And I've also stocked up quiet well on coopers carbonation drops, haven't considered the method you talked about as it's easy for me to put the drops on each beer bottle

Back