Coopers English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,
Bringing up an old topic.

I've banned myself from AG brewing until I have a kitchen back. So i bought a couple of these kits for $7.50 each.

I've made one, with 500gm LDME, 300gm crystal, S-04 and 16gm Tetts (15min).

This is alright, but has a bit of a sharp taste to it... It's a little over carbed which could pose some of the problem. The Tetts actually goes alright with it.

ANYWAY
I'm gonna make the other one soon. How does this partial sound?
I haven't been doing kits for a fair while, so i could be far off. Also worth noting, i do want a lowish alcohol beer if possible (this 3.3% is about right)

Coopers Bitter
1kg Munich
0.5kg Maris Otter
14gm EKG @15min
14gm EKG @ 1min
WYeast 1469 (West Yorkshire Ale)

Beersmith estimates OG~1.037 and FG~1.011 and 3.3%

Cheers,
Al

I reckon the Munich would go really well with this kit. I usually chuck in some more Styrian Goldings instead of EKG. Next time I do this kit I'll be giving it a small dose of Bramling Cross

Cheers HB79,
just got some NZ Styrian Goldings. i reckon i'll swap the last addition for them.
Should I up the late hopping to be in line with smurtos TTL. ie.

30gms EKG @ 15
30gm Styrian @ 1

I'm by no means an English bitter expert.

Cheers,
Al

Sounds feasible to me, Al. I do an AG TTL based on Smurto's hops schedule with
20IBU Fuggles, Northdown or Challenger @ 60 (the tin of goop is providing this obviously)
10IBU EKG @ 20
2g/L Styrian at flameout
1469 :icon_drool2:

The Coopers EB kit is quite decent IMO, if I was doing partials or K&B it is one I'd look at for sure, another one would be Morgan's Bishop's English Bitter. I added some Styrian dry hops to one of the Coopers EB kits, probably the last K&B I did almost a year ago and remember the slight sadness when the last bottle was finally drunk... :(

I'm interested to hear Bjorn's results, as I've just picked up this can. I was thinking about keeping it simple using S04 and increasing the LDME to about 800g if the kit can take it.

Well, 12 months later (almost to the day), I finally put this brew down on Friday. :p
Have been too busy to brew much lately thanks to a new job and having our first baby late last year. :)

Coopers English Bitter Kit
800g LDME
260g Medium Crystal steeped for 30mins (my first ever grain experience - the house smelt delicious for the rest of the day.. :D)
Safale S-04 yeast
Made up to 22L
Fermenting at around 20 degrees.
OG was around 1035
Will carb to around 2.0vol

Can't wait to try the results! Hydro samples are quite promising. Anyone done a similar recipe?

I was thinking of putting down one of these this weekend.

A simple kit version of an ESB.
21L
Coopers EB Kit 1.7kgs
Coopers Amber LME 1.5kgs
Light dry malt 200grams
20grams goldings at 5mins
Safale S04

Would it be advisable to steep some spec grains instead of the LME? would i be close to getting a ESB profile? :huh:

IMO replace the amber extract with plain light extract and steep some grain, 150-200g of CaraAroma will give it a nice little boost. Also if your up for using a liquid yeast then some Wyeast 1968 is a sure winner for this kit

punched this into the spreadsheet with additions of light liquid extract, 200g CaraAroma and the 1968 yeast, looks all good, will give it a shot this weekend. one question though, i havent used a liquid yeast before is there anything i should be aware of before using it? cheers for the help :icon_cheers:

one question though, i havent used a liquid yeast before is there anything i should be aware of before using it? cheers for the help :icon_cheers:

Indeed there is, your beers will be much improved, if my transition from dried yeasts is anything to go by. All the beers I have made with my liquid yeasts have left the others for dead. Much more depth in their character IMHO.

Nothing really special or hard about it, the instructions are on the pack. I tend to spit the packs up because their not cheap. Have a search for yeast farming or splitting wyeast packs, that'll give you a pretty good idea of what to do

punched this into the spreadsheet with additions of light liquid extract, 200g CaraAroma and the 1968 yeast, looks all good, will give it a shot this weekend. one question though, i havent used a liquid yeast before is there anything i should be aware of before using it? cheers for the help :icon_cheers:

Smack it in advance - 1/2 a day for every month since the date of manufacture. If your wort is likely to be high gravity you should probably step up the yeast. Anywhere up to 1060 I wouldn't worry for your first although beyond 1060 is pushing it. If you regularly make beers close to 1060 I'd recommend reading about stepping up.

After smacking you can also make a starter. If you are in the realms of 1060, I would consider this as getting the yeast to optimum activity will simultaneously step it up a touch.

Stepping up is building the cell count, making a starter is generating active yeast and pitching them at that point. Can be combined as a process or can be two separate ones.

In brews where yeast character is important liquids should not be underestimated. The expense warrants researching re-using, harvesting and farming though.

Well, 12 months later (almost to the day), I finally put this brew down on Friday. :p
Have been too busy to brew much lately thanks to a new job and having our first baby late last year. :)

Coopers English Bitter Kit
800g LDME
260g Medium Crystal steeped for 30mins (my first ever grain experience - the house smelt delicious for the rest of the day.. :D )
Safale S-04 yeast
Made up to 22L
Fermenting at around 20 degrees.
OG was around 1035
Will carb to around 2.0vol

Can't wait to try the results! Hydro samples are quite promising. Anyone done a similar recipe?

Hey. I bottled the nearly exact recipie to this using same yeast, slightly different amount of crystal (200g) and used 1kg of LDME. I also used late additions of EKG. OG 1050 - SG 1014

Wow, bottled around 2 months ago after spending 2 weeks @ 19 deg in the fridge, crashed for 2 days at 1 deg, bulk primed to around 2.1. I resisted trying one all that time and it was well worth it! Creamy head all the way down to the bottom of the glass, simply delicious :icon_drool2:

I mainly brew extracts now, but the English Bitter can and the stout kits will be regulars from now on.

Tyler

I made this recipe by manticle from this thread as my first atempt at brewing.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...st&p=560571

1 x tin Coopers English Bitter
1.5 kg LDME
250g caramunich I
280g carared
230g crystal malt 140
120g roast barley
30g East Kent Goldings
Wyeast 1084

I used a whitelabs yeast WLP002. I was realy pleased with the result, as were anyone who tried it. a little too much of the smokey toasted flavours at the end. Hopefully brewing the second batch this weekend with a few modifications, as per thread above.

Hey. I bottled the nearly exact recipie to this using same yeast, slightly different amount of crystal (200g) and used 1kg of LDME. I also used late additions of EKG. OG 1050 - SG 1014

Wow, bottled around 2 months ago after spending 2 weeks @ 19 deg in the fridge, crashed for 2 days at 1 deg, bulk primed to around 2.1. I resisted trying one all that time and it was well worth it! Creamy head all the way down to the bottom of the glass, simply delicious :icon_drool2:

I mainly brew extracts now, but the English Bitter can and the stout kits will be regulars from now on.

Tyler

Sounds promising. Will report back in a month or two on the results. :)

Bugger only have kmart here. :(

Have seen it at k-mart before... Could try big w online, I see on the news that they just launched their entire product range online??!!

Get on it. As far as all the kits I've done, its in the top 3!

Infact, enjoying one right now!

26052010722.jpg

Latest posts

Back