Coopers copping Halal hate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pork mince or animals that were dead prior to slaughter or animals that were not slaughtered in the name of an imaginary sky pixie or something...
Hands up who actually knows what halal is.

Imaginary sky pixies are common to all religions and all religions have rules governing what its adherents can and can't do. The certification halal does not mean a priest has to stand and wave hands over the thing or invoke the five winds from the east or mumble admonitions at the people.

Let's get upset about blintz.

Ducatiboy stu said:
The same. Bolt is acceptable. They then slit the throat to drain the blood. as you normally would.
Fair enough.

My old Indian mate who is a mussie told me in his shithouse Engrish about their big muslim festival over there, his description was not humane, but the end outcome was nice, after slaughtering the goats for the festivals, facing mecca blah blah blah, they keep only 1/3 of the meat, 1/3 then goes to their large family and the other 1/3 is shared to homeless poor people.

That's presumably animal slaughtering standards in his country of origin, not specifically halal slaughter.

Sorry Manticle, BUT....

To be halal certified the animal must be facing Mecca, have its throat cut while still alive and then ritually sacrificed by a Muslim who recites a prayer dedicating the slaughter to Allah. Because the animals must be slaughtered alive, stun guns are often not an option as they can kill an animal before the heart pumps out all the blood.

The opposite of halal is haram (forbidden).
Food can be forbidden in Islam if it includes:
  • blood
  • alcohol
  • meat or any products from a forbidden animal, including pigs and any carnivorous animals or birds of prey
  • meat or any products of an animal which has not been slaughtered in the correct manner in the name of Allah
Under Islamic law (sharia) it is permissible (halal) to consume items that would otherwise be termed haram so long as it is a matter of survival and not just an act of disobedience.

shaunous said:
Sorry Manticle, BUT....
The website you got that from is presumably halalchoices.com?

I'm not sure their information is totally correct and their agenda is fairly plain. Anyway halal refers to much more than just the slaughter of animals and halal slaughter is quite similar to kosher slaughter. Kosher also refers to many things other than slaughter.

In Australia animals are required to be stunned before being killed and while there are some small exemptions on religious grounds, the stunning is, as far as I am aware acceptable halal practice.

My point though was that something being halal does not mean it has all been blessed or turned towards Jordan. A string bean is halal (unless it is wrapped in bacon). My coffee this morning was halal. Coopers malt extract is halal. None of them were blessed or accompanied by magic words. The other point is that religious mumbo jumbo is not restricted to Islam or its followers.

manticle said:
The website you got that from is presumably halalchoices.com?

I'm not sure their information is totally correct and their agenda is fairly plain. Anyway halal refers to much more than just the slaughter of animals and halal slaughter is quite similar to kosher slaughter. Kosher also refers to many things other than slaughter.

In Australia animals are required to be stunned before being killed and while there are some small exemptions on religious grounds, the stunning is, as far as I am aware acceptable halal practice.

My point though was that something being halal does not mean it has all been blessed or turned towards Jordan. A string bean is halal (unless it is wrapped in bacon). My coffee this morning was halal. Coopers malt extract is halal. None of them were blessed or accompanied by magic words. The other point is that religious mumbo jumbo is not restricted to Islam or its followers.
Yes, a string bean and your coffee and coopers malt is halal.
My point is the rediculousness of referring to any holy book and any God to determine if its not ok to eat

Good luck avoiding pig related products, interesting project about this is here details where all the bits from 1 slaughtered pig can possibly end up.

PIG 05049
Christien Meindertsma has spent three years researching all the products made from a single pig. Amongst some of the more unexpected results were: Ammunition, medicine, photo paper, heart valves, brakes, chewing gum, porcelain, cosmetics, cigarettes, conditioner and even bio diesel.
Meindertsma makes the subject more approachable by reducing everything to the scale of one animal. After it's death, Pig number 05049 was shipped in parts throughout the world. Some products remain close to their original form and function while others diverge dramatically. In an almost surgical way a pig is dissected in the pages of the book - resulting in a startling photo book where all the products are shown at their true scale (1:1).

I had a pair of shoes stolen while in Indonesia, I doubt whether a size 11 shoe would fit anyone, the only satisfaction I got from the loss of the shoes was they were made out of pigskin.

Ducatiboy stu said:
If you think Halal cert goes to fund Islam jihad or whatever bullshit then you need to work out which side of the racism fence to be on.
This post sure is going to show the closet racists.
Actually, i wasn't thinking of the jihadists at all. I was thinking that at the top of the fat cat chain who own and run the organisation in question, the money just disappears overseas. Racist? Coming from a family tree with about every colour in the rainbow i doubt it. Personally, i couldn't give a rats arse if someone is black, white brindle or polkadot. Don't care if someone worships anything of any type behind any door and i'll happily eat drink and laugh and co-exist with any of the above, provided my family are allowed to continue our way of life uninterupted & without paying for theirs.

Couple of interesting reads:

https://www.dicksmithfoods.com.au/media/news/muslim-branding-our-food

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/halal-easter-eggs-and-cat-food-where-big-money-meets-religion-20130327-2gujc.html
Interesting read about the chicken farmer and about the sharia advisors.

Martin

Ducatiboy stu said:
This post sure is going to show the closet racists.
Not to mention those who need to look up the word racist.

racist[ rey-sist ]

noun1. a person who believes in racism
, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others.

adjective1. of or like racists or racism
: racist policies; racist attitudes.

big·ot (bĭg′ət)"

n."One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

I also don't get how the ADL can be feeding it to coopers when they are the last "big" brewery that is still entirely Australian owned. So they are looking to expand their market share and maybe even export some malt products to the middle east, surely that is only doing good for the country they say they are trying to defend.

Coopers are one of the biggest malt producers for the food & confectionary industry. They export a lot of malt overseas to muslum countries.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Coopers are one of the biggest malt producers for the food & confectionary industry. They export a lot of malt overseas to muslum countries.
Yep that's my point, surely this is to the benefit of Australia. Why would somebody who claims to be standing up for Australia want to stop that. Like most of the ADL doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Ducatiboy stu said:
racist[ rey-sist ]

noun1. a person who believes in racism
, the doctrine that a certain human race is superior to any or all others.

adjective1. of or like racists or racism
: racist policies; racist attitudes.

big·ot (bĭg′ət)"

n."One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.
Glad we cleared that one up, just so all folks not affiliated with any form of religion, not particulary nationalistic or political, but who choose to voice an opinion - even distain - about unsolicited practices involving of their foodstuff can feel free to do so without fear of being branded racist any more than some bloke who once attempted to use a page or two of an standard hotel room issue king James (placed by the Gideons..) bible to roll a joint should be branded anti semitic.

Of course, the pages were removed from the book of numbers..
..erm..so I was told..

Boom -tish!

Latest posts

Back