Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Camo, I'm talking old people talk, 'The Cold' translates to 'The Flu' for anyone under 72 years old.

Also my head hurts from reading your post, you said 'the cold' way to many times :)

ManVsBeer said:
I've never got one cause I know what happens to people that do.....
You wear a foil hat and toy with amateur radio don't you ;)

browndog said:
I meant the guys that never take sick leave and brag they have 40 50 or 60 days up their sleeve all because they come to work sick!
I coulda used that many sickies a year ago.

I'm on the council and it's not uncommon for older guys to have 1-2+ years worth of sickies. I say good on em. Many of them need it close to retirement anyway. And not many businesses that I know of pay out sickies anymore, so not much of a benefit coming to work sick to save them.

Any power providers here? Essential Energy and the like get unlimited sickies. Apparently it stops people taking sickies to use them up before end of year rollover.

Sorry guys, but my MO is "if you can walk, you can work".
Runny noses and sneezing are not cause to stay home.
Chances are you will catch 'the cold' in line at the bank or supermarket.

Maybe it's just my attitude as a self employed tradie, but there is no such thing as sick leave and there is just too much work to do.( something I never take for granted BTW )

Soldier on boys !!

CF

pedleyr said:
Isn't that what the 20% or 25% loading is for though? That non casuals don't get? Can't exactly complain about not being able to take a sick day if you spend that on other things.
Unless of course casual employment isn't by choice. Because I certainly wouldn't choose it because I like having paid sick and annual leave, public holidays and added security. If it's forced on you I sympathise.
Many people are casual because that is all that's available and the 25% doesn't cut it. I've been at my current place of employment for nearly 11 years. 1 year on a part time contract, the last 10 months FT as part of a 3 year contract and the rest as a casual. For part of that time I studied a masters so casual or part time fit that but mostly I worked 3-5 casual jobs to make ends meet. The last couple of years, I was lucky enough to be considered worth employing 5 days but still as a casual. No guarantees, no leave,just hope that my work ethic and skills were enough, even when times were quiet.
Here's the kicker- where I work, casuals are paid at a significantly lower rate than FT so the loading counts for diddles. Yes I worked when I was sick - even one day off can **** you up when you're already struggling but when you get the days paid and you get the lurg, stay the **** home.

CrookedFingers said:
Maybe it's just my attitude as a self employed tradie, but there is no such thing as sick leave and there is just too much work to do.( something I never take for granted BTW )
Soldier on boys !!
CF
Spoken with sense.

CrookedFingers said:

Soldier on boys !!

CF
Until someone comes in sick enough to get you sick and you get pissed off at them?

Mining is terrible for it. If you get sick at home and call them up even with a doctors note they whinge about you "milking it", which has more repercussions than just the complaining. It can effect what jobs you'll be doing for the rest of the swing which can effect your rate of pay.

If you come to work sick they whinge about you getting everyone else sick and then send you to your donga for days on end.

StalkingWilbur said:
Until someone comes in sick enough to get you sick and you get pissed off at them?

Mining is terrible for it. If you get sick at home and call them up even with a doctors note they whinge about you "milking it", which has more repercussions than just the complaining. It can effect what jobs you'll be doing for the rest of the swing which can effect your rate of pay.

If you come to work sick they whinge about you getting everyone else sick and then send you to your donga for days on end.
Except for the guys who blow the first and last day of swing habitually, or blow the whole swing cos Big Day Out is on. Yeah, that door swings both ways.

Yeah. There are people that take advantage of it and that has to be monitored. But I don't know a single person that blows first and last days every swing, those people would have their employment terminated very quickly. And I wouldn't think many people would use up a whole swing (14 days swings here) worth of sick days which is more than a years allowance for an event. I've also seen people that have taken on average less than one sick day per year over their employment duration cop this treatment for calling up the day before fly out day. That's bullshit.

manticle said:
Many people are casual because that is all that's available and the 25% doesn't cut it. I've been at my current place of employment for nearly 11 years. 1 year on a part time contract, the last 10 months FT as part of a 3 year contract and the rest as a casual. For part of that time I studied a masters so casual or part time fit that but mostly I worked 3-5 casual jobs to make ends meet. The last couple of years, I was lucky enough to be considered worth employing 5 days but still as a casual. No guarantees, no leave,just hope that my work ethic and skills were enough, even when times were quiet.
Here's the kicker- where I work, casuals are paid at a significantly lower rate than FT so the loading counts for diddles. Yes I worked when I was sick - even one day off can **** you up when you're already struggling but when you get the days paid and you get the lurg, stay the **** home.
As I said, if it's not by choice I definitely sympathise with the situation. It's hard to balance it - make everyone else sick or miss a day's pay. Sometimes the selfish approach is the rational one for your own circumstances.

mje1980 said:
I got that a few years in a row. Damn, never got sick for years, not even a sniffle. You guys realise the needle actually gives you a small dose of the flu right?. Anyway, I had such a few good years I thought I was too healthy to need it, so I stopped getting it. Got the sniffles next winter haha.
The vaccine in flu is dead not active. Its way too virulent to give a live vaccine. You cannot get flu from a flu vaccine. You can get sick as it's potent, but the most common problem is people react to the stuff it's grown in. A flu vaccine should be a no-brainer; it kills 100,000s every year globally

ManVsBeer said:
If your healthy, you won't get sick from other peoples "sick germs". You are breathing in millions right now. Some experts say it's a state of mind.
By that logic no one would ever get sick...

manticle said:
Which experts say disease is a state of mind? Homeopaths? Christian scientists? Baba yaga?
Experts!
X being the unknown quantity and spurt being a drip under pressure ( much like diarrhoea ). :).
Cheers...spog..

I know when I get a cold I head straight for remedy's based on ancient Chinese medicine. Since medical science was far more advanced 3000 years ago and people lived longer disease free lives it makes perfect sense.

spog said:
Experts!
X being the unknown quantity and spurt being a drip under pressure ( much like diarrhoea ). :).
Cheers...spog..
r.e: diarrhea.
Had a footlong three pepper chicken from Subway for lunch yesterday. Nothing to eat since. 3 x desperately quick shuffles to the toilet that were perilously close.
The chicken was soggy and lukewarm so I cant understand what went wrong.

Dave70 said:
Had a footlong three pepper chicken from Subway for lunch yesterday. Nothing to eat since. 3 x desperately quick shuffles to the toilet that were perilously close.
I hope you don't have an allergy that causes uncontrollable sneezing. :)

Dave70 said:
It would have been dodgy lettuce...

CrookedFingers said:

Soldier on boys !!

CF
I agree however working in a hospital, If I pass on the cold to somebody who has a fragile state of health, it's pretty irresponsible.. I rarely get sick anyway, advocate of being generous with the garlic.

CrookedFingers said:

Soldier on boys !!

CF

I had the same mentality when I was working in truss and framing factories, missing the OT would be the difference between being able to have some beers on the weekend or sitting around the house bored.

If taking a sick day reflects in your pay packet for reasons outside your choosing then you go to work, it's not really optional.

My rant is in relation to my current work place which is a small business with the majority of the staff (including myself) in the office, pay rates are more than reasonable, there is no option for OT and the only people on casual are on it by choice to take advantage of the loading.

People coming into work sick here are straight up arseholes, too damn stubborn to admit they are sick or saving their sick days for hangovers/trips to the beach/whatever the hell else self absorbed dipshits do.

Back