Continuing Rant Thread - Get it Off Ya Chest here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: sickies, when you retire, if you ever do, no one will thank you for not taking any sick days.
If you abuse the benefit, you deserve what you get.
Lemon

You want rights? You don't want to come to work sick? You want RDOs for the Big Day Out and other shit. You want to be payed the big money when you do come in to work for screwing a screw into a piece of metal? See you later Holden. See you later (Add word here: (South Australia)).

ManVsBeer said:
If your healthy, you won't get sick from other peoples "sick germs". You are breathing in millions right now. Some experts say it's a state of mind.
Well said!

I rarely get the cold, every coupla years if that, and I live in Grafton and work on a farm in Glen Innes(Coldest joint in Aus). Then on the other end of the spectrum, u get people who have the cold for months, my sister in law has had the cold since I met her 7 years ago. WTF is wrong with u people. I don't work in a closed office though, much.

The worst I ever got the cold was a coupla days after having the flu injection about 5 years ago, last time I got that stupid needle.

manticle said:
Yeah should be no rights and shit pay. Good for everyone.
If they got payed for what they do, we wouldn't be in this situation. Joke all you want, you don't understand the shit that is going to go down in the North of Adelaide when Holdens shut. Everyone is employed there. Shit, I was employed in a third tier company for 6 years and I had to travel to part of it. 10000 South aussies and 30000 australians will lose their jobs

ManVsBeer said:
Well I was having a rant whilst half cut. I thought that what this thread was for :p

Any hoo, the reasoning is, while i was working with a small team we had to get the job done in an 11 hour time slot. 5 people: 55 hours of production. 4 people: 13.75 hours each of productive work in 11 hours. Everybody was already working to the limit to get the job done in 11 hours. I would rather some one come in with a runny nose and at least sit on a computer to take the load off. Everybody there did exactly that, because they know what happens when your already over loaded and have to cover for someone.

If your healthy, you won't get sick from other peoples "sick germs". You are breathing in millions right now. Some experts say it's a state of mind.

Maybe my Mother had more influence on me than I thought. She said you can only have a day off school if your arm has been cut off. I did buck her system by getting Meningitis though :)

PS Not all casuals get paid enough money to put away for a rainy day.

Damn, another rant.
Isn't that what the 20% or 25% loading is for though? That non casuals don't get? Can't exactly complain about not being able to take a sick day if you spend that on other things.

Unless of course casual employment isn't by choice. Because I certainly wouldn't choose it because I like having paid sick and annual leave, public holidays and added security. If it's forced on you I sympathise.

AndrewQLD said:
Agreed, worst thing Labour ever did was to introduce paid sick leave..... :lol:
I meant the guys that never take sick leave and brag they have 40 50 or 60 days up their sleeve all because they come to work sick!

pedleyr said:
Isn't that what the 20% or 25% loading is for though? That non casuals don't get? Can't exactly complain about not being able to take a sick day if you spend that on other things.

Unless of course casual employment isn't by choice. Because I certainly wouldn't choose it because I like having paid sick and annual leave, public holidays and added security. If it's forced on you I sympathise.
My mate used to work casual in a warehouse for 18.00 or so an hour. He then took a "promotion" and ended up on 17.50 as a permanent Team Leader. Minimum wage is 16.87. I told him he's crazy. He lost his job when he piped up. Maybe I shouldn't have encouraged him

While we're on the sick thing, my wife is a speech therapist, works with disabled kids. She's constantly amazed by parents who are willing to bring in their little snot/vomit factory to be therapised with no consideration towards the therapist (not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things) or the next kiddie (bigger deal, especially considering that someone with certain disabilities may be more susceptible to these things).
And then she brings all the bugs home to me so that gives me the odd day off which I appreciate.

shaunous said:
Well said!
I rarely get the cold, every coupla years if that, and I live in Grafton and work on a farm in Glen Innes(Coldest joint in Aus). Then on the other end of the spectrum, u get people who have the cold for months, my sister in law has had the cold since I met her 7 years ago. WTF is wrong with u people. I don't work in a closed office though, much.
The worst I ever got the cold was a coupla days after having the flu injection about 5 years ago, last time I got that stupid needle.
I rarely get more than the odd sniffle in winter. Last weekend I ended up with a chest infection. Knocked me over big time. Pretty good now. I can't help but think my lack of physical activity in the last few months has contributed ( broke my kneecap ), as I've never had a chest infection ever. Use it or lose it I reckon.

shaunous said:
I've never got one cause I know what happens to people that do.....

jlm said:
While we're on the sick thing, my wife is a speech therapist, works with disabled kids. She's constantly amazed by parents who are willing to bring in their little snot/vomit factory to be therapised with no consideration towards the therapist (not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things) or the next kiddie (bigger deal, especially considering that someone with certain disabilities may be more susceptible to these things).
And then she brings all the bugs home to me so that gives me the odd day off which I appreciate.
Not to mention people who are crook sitting in the doctors waiting room coughing and spluttering without covering their gobs,and some leaving snot soaked tissues on the seats....******* pigs.
Cheers....getting better...spog....

shaunous said:
Well said!

Hahaha! WTF is 'the cold' shaunous? Even ebola has more than one strain. There's more than 200 strains of virus that cause 'the cold' and once you catch 'that cold' you won't likely ever catch it again. It also don't matter how healthy you are, 'the cold' tends to beat most immune systems initially (hence why there's no preventative), but being run down or otherwise susceptible doesn't help. One of the reasons older people get less colds is that their immune systems have dealt with more strains over the years.
It doesn't matter how cold the environment you work in, if you haven't been exposed to one of 'the cold' viruses you won't catch one. I caught sweet FA colds when living in the country primarily because I had a lot less contact with large groups of germ spreading people (curse their hives of infestation).
The main reasons for feeling shit when you're sick with 'the cold' is because your body is committing a lot of resources to beating it, hence why you may have felt shit from a flu immunisation as it's pretty much a tiny dose of virus that your immune system can combat.
Well, that's my understanding of it anyway thanks to Uncle John's Big Bathroom Reader. Best educational text EVER.

My kids are young and due to the cost of living have been sent to child care a few days a week. Due to the fact their immune systems are new they tend to catch every strain that comes through the joint. Therefore they tend to have runny noses all too farking often for my liking. At first I used to crack the shits every time I saw a snotty nosed child at childcare but now I realise their ain't much you can do to avoid it and it's hard to commit all your personal leave as carer's else you'll have none to take when you yourself get a runny nose. Atleast young kids tend to deal with colds and bounce back quicker than most 'blokes' I know.

I got that a few years in a row. Damn, never got sick for years, not even a sniffle. You guys realise the needle actually gives you a small dose of the flu right?. Anyway, I had such a few good years I thought I was too healthy to need it, so I stopped getting it. Got the sniffles next winter haha.

Camo6 said:
Hahaha! WTF is 'the cold' shaunous? Even ebola has more than one strain. There's more than 200 strains of virus that cause 'the cold' and once you catch 'that cold' you won't likely ever catch it again. It also don't matter how healthy you are, 'the cold' tends to beat most immune systems initially (hence why there's no preventative), but being run down or otherwise susceptible doesn't help. One of the reasons older people get less colds is that their immune systems have dealt with more strains over the years.
It doesn't matter how cold the environment you work in, if you haven't been exposed to one of 'the cold' viruses you won't catch one. I caught sweet FA colds when living in the country primarily because I had a lot less contact with large groups of germ spreading people (curse their hives of infestation).
The main reasons for feeling shit when you're sick with 'the cold' is because your body is committing a lot of resources to beating it, hence why you may have felt shit from a flu immunisation as it's pretty much a tiny dose of virus that your immune system can combat.
Well, that's my understanding of it anyway thanks to Uncle John's Big Bathroom Reader. Best educational text EVER.

My kids are young and due to the cost of living have been sent to child care a few days a week. Due to the fact their immune systems are new they tend to catch every strain that comes through the joint. Therefore they tend to have runny noses all too farking often for my liking. At first I used to crack the shits every time I saw a snotty nosed child at childcare but now I realise their ain't much you can do to avoid it and it's hard to commit all your personal leave as carer's else you'll have none to take when you yourself get a runny nose. Atleast young kids tend to deal with colds and bounce back quicker than most 'blokes' I know.

Oh yeah, our youngest is at pre school now, so none of our kids need to ever go to the cesspit that is child care anymore. There would never be a single day that there wouldn't be at least one gunked up snotty kid. Totally normal though and all part of it I guess.

Its the lice, pox and gastro that do my head in. Two more years for my youngest before she's free of it.

mje1980 said:
Oh yeah, our youngest is at pre school now, so none of our kids need to ever go to the cesspit that is child care anymore. There would never be a single day that there wouldn't be at least one gunked up snotty kid. Totally normal though and all part of it I guess.
You can times that by 20 now that there at school.

Back