Considering grainfather purchase?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghizo

Reaction score
So far I have been a kits and bits brewer, and produce what I consider a pretty nice beer (my father will have often come down for a beer rather than having a commercial beer).
A friend got into all grain and produces excellent beer, he made his own grainfather like system. I do not have much time so the hassle of building my own system is not something I want to do.
I have been looking at the grainfather as an option, looks like it simplifies temp control etc into one unit pretty well.

I am reading through the dedicated grainfather post, but would like to get some opinions from people who actually own one or have used one?

The Grainfather and Braumeister have both got very good reviews and will make good beer, but you don't need to spent thousands on equipment to make excellent beer.

You can make great beer with a 40L urn and a large bag (AKA BIAB). With the $ you save going simple you'll have some money left over for a sweet keg system. I.e a crown urn and brew bag will cost you about $250 and a BIAB bag about $20. A grainfather will set you back $1000 minimum. With the left over $700 you can by a kegerator with a triple font and forget about ever bottling again.

JD

I had a play with one on demonstration, haven't lived with one though.

My rig is a recirculating electric biab keggle with 2 x 2000w elements. Cost with chiller, stc, pump etc would have been less than half of a grainfather but there's a fair bit of incidental cost along the way as you trial and error build something.

I'd probably just buy one if I was looking for a new rig. Or check out the keg king one. The grainfather just works.. 2400w of power for a full batch is a bit tedious would be my only reservation

If, like me, you are pushed for space, could justify the spend and don't have the time or technical know how to build your own then I think it is hard to go past. Really happy with mine after 3 brews and always looking forward to using again.

Wife is happier too as im not tying up the kitchen for hours like i used to.

JDW81 said:
The Grainfather and Braumeister have both got very good reviews and will make good beer, but you don't need to spent thousands on equipment to make excellent beer.

You can make great beer with a 40L urn and a large bag (AKA BIAB). With the $ you save going simple you'll have some money left over for a sweet keg system. I.e a crown urn and brew bag will cost you about $250 and a BIAB bag about $20. A grainfather will set you back $1000 minimum. With the left over $700 you can by a kegerator with a triple font and forget about ever bottling again.

JD
Already have 3 keg keezer setup, so little to no bottling for me already.

I know I could build something cheaper, however the time to find all the right bits + the trial and error to get it right. While I usually like to build myself in this case it looks so neat.
However I do already have a 30L boiler for my still ( though I am wanting to sell it as spirits are not interesting me).

yeah I have a grain father and I love it. if it's in your price range then I would definitely recommend it. really good value for money in my opinion. I've done about 15 brews in mine and it's great. The best thing is being able to control the mash temp so accurately. opens up a big world of step mashes etc.

Just had a look at the robobrew, looks like a basic version of the grainfather, does anyone own one?

I started all grain with a big pot on a nasa burner. Made great beer. Then converted to all electric matho's controller recirc system. Burnt the arse out of one bath due to a shit element. (to high watt density) even though I enjoyed the build I sort of figured it'd take me a few more dollars and a few more trial brews to get my own system right and decided it wasn't worth it. Was about to buy a grain father and got onto a 2nd hand braumeister at the right price. Best decision I ever made I now have a system that just works. I haven't heard to much bad about the grainfather but I reckon any turn key system with a good track record and good support is well worth going for. There is a few of them floating around now maybe someone local to you will let you sit in on a brew day.
my 2c

I have a mate that who had never brewed before and wanted to learn. He wanted to get straight into all grain with my help and I told him about the grain father so he got one about a month ago.
I've been helping him with his brews and I'd have to say it is a very good setup. Only 3 brews in but if you have the money and are looking for something that is easy to use then you can't go wrong.
If I hadn't spent the last 12months building a double batch recirculated 1V I would get one.
Highly recommend it if you have the coin.

I gave got the nod from the minister of war and finance ( let's be honest we are all scared of them). So a all in one brew system will be mine, just need to finish 1 project going in the shed 1967 Bridgestone 175dt. So I have a bit of thinking to do now between a robobrew and grainfather.
Grainfather has runs on the board, I like the pump, hard to tell but looks of a higher quality compared to the robo brew.
Robobrew cheaper?

Probably stupid question but I want to do 21-22 litre brews, I assume both the f these systems do that no problem

If you are into 'set and forget' brewing then the GF sounds like a good system, as with the Braumeister.

re a previous comment above, step mashing is dead easy with a BIAB in urn system and as stated it's a quarter of the price.

Remember, the GF, the BM and the urn don't make beer. They produce wort which is just one, important of course, stage in the journey of barley to brain.

I'm also looking at getting a Grainfather so I can move up to AG brewing.
The only issue for me at this stage is some of comments/reviews I have read say that it can't handle higher ABV beers such as RIS or IIPA's (both of which I love & really want to try my hand at) due to the size of the grain bill required for a 20l recipe vs the capacity of the unit (up to 9kg I believe).
Would love to hear from anyone who uses a Grainfather who has done a RIS or similar ABV beer & how it stacks up.

Reedy said:
The only issue for me at this stage is some of comments/reviews I have read say that it can't handle higher ABV beers such as RIS or IIPA's (both of which I love & really want to try my hand at) due to the size of the grain bill required for a 20l recipe vs the capacity of the unit (up to 9kg I believe).
Would love to hear from anyone who uses a Grainfather who has done a RIS or similar ABV beer & how it stacks up.
From what I remember of reviews this system goes bloody close to giving you a RIS at 18L, that's 5 gal(one keg). Now if you can show me a system for around the same cost that comes with in coohee, I'll go back to Kn'K.
Don't own one, possibly will some time soon.

MB

Reedy said:
I believe i read it can take up to 9kg although im yet to do it. That would get fairly close wouldn't it? Could always cheat and throw in some DME at start of boil.

Latest posts

Back