Confession Time.............

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cervantes

Reaction score
This is inspired by a similar thread on HBT.

I'll start by confessing that I never use boiled and cooled water to rehydrate my yeast. I just use warm tap water.

I'm also very lax when it comes to hot side sanitation. I basically figure it's all going to be sterilised when it boils anyway.

What do you do when brewing that's not "By the book"?

I've had a gas leak somewhere in the kegger for that last 12 months, I changed out all my lines 3months ago, CBF finding it now, so I just shut down the gas after each session. It's on the list of things to sort but I just don't know it's going to happen.

When I saw that this topic was started at 02:22 am I immediately though , hallo someone is pissed and done some thing very naughty.
I'm disappointed .
Leaving empties lying around in my shed then having to do a good wash up instead of rinsing them straight away,annoys the crap out of me.

MastersBrewery said:
I've had a gas leak somewhere in the kegger for that last 12 months, I changed out all my lines 3months ago, CBF finding it now, so I just shut down the gas after each session. It's on the list of things to sort but I just don't know it's going to happen.
Have you checked the pressure release valve on the regulator?
Cheers

I haven't cleaned my brew fridge in months... it's not going mouldy and it still smells ok. In truth I just couldn't be assed. :blush:

I don't lager my lagers very long, pitch to bottle in 4 weeks. I don't sanitise my bottles (I do soak them in sod perc and rinse though), or the crown seals. My bottling bucket simply gets a few rinses of hot tap water after use, then repeated prior to use before a decent spray of StarSan. My cubes don't get star sanned, although they do get periodically soaked in sod perc.

I almost always pitch my yeast higher than I plan to ferment it. However, it goes straight into the fridge after this and the temp comes down reasonably quickly. Probably helps that the fridge is already cold from crashing the yeast starter. Spose I could put the cube in there for half a day before pitching it.

Probably other things that I can't think of right now, but either way I can't complain about the way my beers turn out.

grott said:
Have you checked the pressure release valve on the regulator?
Cheers
I have a 4 way manifold with the manifold taps shut she'll hold well, so that leave lines, disconnects, kegs, and I suppose the barb at the manifold tap. Should bite the bullet and get some off that plumbers leak find- soapy water showed nothing. one day....

I have a treacle porter in the fermentor that I'm trying to get down to a reasonable FG and it appears almost half of it has evaporated...

OK! OK! IT WAS ME!

Aah. That feels better.

I'd never confess to that...

Latest posts

Back