Comp Enter - Should I Consider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Raja Goomba I

Prisoner of Sobriety
Reaction score
This is an open ended question and probably a little vague, but what sort of beer is worth entering into competitions.

I've only just started AG, but have enough years of extract plus grain to understand what tastes good and I have a good nose out of the barrel for what is going to turn out good and what won't.

The reason I ask is that the Qld Amateur Brewing Comp is being held soon (though not on the calendar, I note) and I have an ale that I have successfully classified according to the AABC, so no issue there.

It has been in bottles for a week and will be right to drink by the time the comp closes. It smells like a really good drop. I'll obviously try it before I even think about submitting it.

Now, as for the description, the IBU, colour, ABV%, etc it is spot on the mark for a particular style (though I wasn't going for that style when I made it). But it is likely that the two tallies I submit will have sediment in them (just a little) as they are bottle conditioned. Plus of course, I don't know the carbonation, though it appears to be fine.

I suppose the question is - given the style seems spot on, what quality markdowns does these comps have? Does sediment preclude a good mark for a comp which needs a clear beer. It will be clear, so long as it is decanted with some grace, not poured stupidly.

What is the quality of the comp? I don't want to waste my time and the judges' time, without understanding the "minimum standard" that one should have before thinking of submitting.

If it isn't bang on style (which other than a slightly lower FG it is good), do you end up marked down?

I'm more than happy to receive criticism (for this post) for the beer, as I think it will make me a better brewer, but I'm not going to submit garbage - well comparatively garbage.

Sorry to be vague and sorry to sound like a coward - I'm not, just making sure I don't waste two bottles of beer (as this is an experimental batch, not a fullsize batch) and time getting down there, if I'm not in the same league as other entrants.

Raja,

Enter your best beer. Even if you don't place go for the feedback. The judge doesn't know you and will provide impartial comments on your beer that can help you improve.

I have been making beer for 10 years and have been doing all grain for 6 months.
I will be entering my first comp in 8 yeasr soon. Just for the feedback.

Cheers

Brendan

ENTER IT.

look, if you have read the style guidelines (your ahead of most), and you think it can be classed into a particular style (or 2 or 3), there is no reason not to. At worst, you will get some very constructive critiques of your beer, at best you will get the comp bug, and need to enter every comp. or have I got those best / worst backwards... anyway, if you feel you have a good beer, definitely enter.

As for the sediment thing, well that's the responsibility of the stewards to ensure that they get the best performance / showing out of each bottle. Care is taken as to not pour this, and don't stress it, I would think that most entries will likely be bottle conditioned as well - all mine are. Enter it.

As for the judging itself, have a look at a BJCP scoresheet. The judges have no idea what the OG of FG is other than by feel/taste and judging prowess. it's at the discretion of the judges, the will score you on appearance, aroma, flavour, feel, and overall impression all according to the guidelines, but it is their perception (trained or not) that gives the score, not the stats that you brewed to... Enter it.

And if you tink it can be classed and judged against more than one style, go for it, enter it in both. I had a ripper Irish red (IMO) and it took out second in a comp - but as a Northern English Brown. Enter it.

in summary, you wont know, unless you go. Enter it.

I entered a KnK in my first comp, thinking it was the best beer ever. It only got 25/50 average.
Slowly I've seen my marks get higher, and a few lower. (16/50 is my record so far, but I strive to get lower, without it getting written off as infected! ;):lol: )

No matter how good you think it is, they're judging your beer against the style description that you entered it as.

Basically just do it. The feedback is worth it. And it's honest, not a mate saying "yeah, Goomba, it's really nice".
Good luck.

What can I say - I'm a reader. It could go in as 2 distinctly different category beers, though there are 3 subcategories of one, and realistically it'll be in one of those.

Don't usually have a mate going "yeah, it's good". Generally my experimentals are either 1. Me pushing the envelope or 2. Me trying to formulate and then improve on a particular beer than I want as a house beer.

I'll take on board all your comments and will still decide once I've tasted. But I have a feel for how things are going to taste from smell. (and the abv - mid 6's%, the waft of initial ethanol almost got me drunk!). I still elicit comments though, if for no other reason than there are a number of people that are comp-virgins who'd like to know what you all have to say.

For the record, I'd classify this as an American IPA - though it is very amber in colour (bordering on red), with not a trace of American hops (all English, noble and NZ). Bizarre!

What can I say - I'm a reader. It could go in as 2 distinctly different category beers, though there are 3 subcategories of one, and realistically it'll be in one of those.

Don't usually have a mate going "yeah, it's good". Generally my experimentals are either 1. Me pushing the envelope or 2. Me trying to formulate and then improve on a particular beer than I want as a house beer.

I'll take on board all your comments and will still decide once I've tasted. But I have a feel for how things are going to taste from smell. (and the abv - mid 6's%, the waft of initial ethanol almost got me drunk!). I still elicit comments though, if for no other reason than there are a number of people that are comp-virgins who'd like to know what you all have to say.

For the record, I'd classify this as an American IPA - though it is very amber in colour (bordering on red), with not a trace of American hops (all English, noble and NZ). Bizarre!
Okay then, just think of how cool that 1st, 2nd or 3rd place ribbon's gonna look on the brewery wall.

Enter every beer that:
1. you have ready at comp time
2. you think is really good
3. fits roughly to the style guidelines of the comp

I say roughly as I know someone who entered a 10%abv belgian golden ale as a 7% winter warmer and did very well with it.
:D
Get your beer in the comp destination early as possible, so the crud has time to settle in the comp hosts fridge.
Stewards are all competent at not rousing yeast from home brew bottles.

Get the feedback back from the judges, read it, accept it as criticism, accept also that the judges are human and falliable. Dont go all emo if you get a poor report.

The feedback's worth almost as much as the prize.

Why not have it tasted by some brewers who have experience at tasting? There are lots here at AHB some more at Craftbrewer in Brisbane or at your local brew club. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Nah I know most the judges & they are mostly wankers........................ :p

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Nah I know most the judges & they are mostly wankers........................ :p

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Hahaha! Paul, surely you could help out this poor fellow with a tasting or two prior to comp.
Daz

Raja
Last year I entered my second only AG - a Yorkshire Bitter in a BABBs mini comp and it won :eek:
Then a few months later I entered beers in the annual comp and I won :eek:

kegerator__Large_.jpg

As Ross, or maybe PaulH said "you aren't supposed to win in your first year" :p

Then I entered in the Queenslands and got some medals
So I got into the Nats and didn't get a place but not too bad in the field.

This year I'm defending my Title. And watch out you Canberra basterds you are about to learn this year. Now the thing is Raja, seems like a small step putting in a bottle. It's not. It will consume you and take over your life. It will have you staying up till 4 in the morning. It will have you selling apples on street corners. It's an obsession I tell ya I tell ya

Don't do it, please don't do it

aaarrrgggggggggggggggggggg

:lol:

Hahaha! Paul, surely you could help out this poor fellow with a tasting or two prior to comp.
Daz

Sounds like everyone is whoring out my beer already, I've only got 9L and it is still 2-3 weeks before I'm prepared to try it myself! :eek:

CB is closed and I'm unlikely to make it down there for the next few weeks, lest SWMBO make me sleep outside.

Aside from the comp, I'm excited, as this seems a really good recipe, and the result was what I aimed for. The malt v hop balance will determine whether it makes it as an English IPA (english hops are some of its profile, but if malt is more dominant...) or an American IPA (if the hops are dominant over the malt).

Nottingham yeast has highly attenuated, so that bit isn't in need of debate.

looks like you've already entered...

good luck fella!

looks like you've already entered...

good luck fella!

Still deciding.... not yet decided.

I'm not entering anything I've not yet tried. That could be a disaster, plus the feedback I got wouldn't be of any use -as I'd have not tried it to know what it tastes like.

I like BribieG's comment - some people are addicted I've noticed.

The thing is, if I don't enter it this year, it will give me another year of AG brewing experience in the background before I do. Plus I'm doing lots of experiments and at the rate I'm churning out small batches, I could have 10 or 15 varieties down pat and enter-able by next year.

This year us Qlders need to pull our fingers out and put up some competion for those mexicans and sandgropers.

So I intend to carpet bomb the QABC........all in honour of everyones friend Darren.

BTW last year was my first shot of entering into comps picked up a second, third and fourth at QABC and picked up a second at AABC.

Go for it.

I suppose the question is - given the style seems spot on, what quality markdowns does these comps have? Does sediment preclude a good mark for a comp which needs a clear beer. It will be clear, so long as it is decanted with some grace, not poured stupidly.
If there are no technical brewing problems, ensuring it is dead-on to style is about the only other thing you really need to worry about.

For the comps I've helped steward for (which may be different to the way they do it in QLD), the beer is usually sorted and kept in tubs (which allows the yeast to settle to an extent), when the bottle is opened it is decanted into a jug/pitcher with a fair amount at the bottom left over and discarded (much more than if you were drinking it yourself), then the beer is poured from the jug into the judges sampling glasses.
The process will be the same for everyone, and in general you'll find that they take care of your beer and do the best to present it in the best possible way.

ditto to all the above comments.enter your beer.If the comps in qld are judged by BJCP guidelines,get a copy of them,taste your beer ,and see how well it fits them,the guidelines give a few commercial examples,try and get hold of them and compare your beer.some catagories ,you could drive a bus through.Stouts and porters are a good example. I"ve stewarded and judged(not qualified yet) and can assure you the beers are treated with respect.All judge comments should be constructive and encouraging,even if there are flavour faults.sometimes its easy to miss faults in your own brew,and unbiased opinions can really help identify them and improve your brewing.Apart from that,you"ll have a great time ,and get to try other ppl"s brews.
only one more comment.as long as YOU enjoy your beer,thats all that matters in the end.Good luck! :chug:

2 words

Preeze Consider :)

This year us Qlders need to pull our fingers out and put up some competion for those mexicans and sandgropers.

So I intend to carpet bomb the QABC........all in honour of everyones friend Darren.

BTW last year was my first shot of entering into comps picked up a second, third and fourth at QABC and picked up a second at AABC.

Go for it.

We do not carpet bomb the QABC, we strategic bomb :ph34r:

:lol:

OP: where do you live in the Bris region?

Latest posts

Back