Cold Conditioning Keg But With Honey

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateostojic

Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,

I have been doing a bit of reading on brewing with honey.
It seems that honey is either added in the primary fermentation stage or in the secondary fermentation stage.

What if, upon completion of the primary stage i added a bit of disolved honey to my beer as i am transfering it to the keg, BUT, instead of going into secondary fermentation, i put the keg into the fridge to cold condition.

I figure that way the yeast will not be active and there will be no fermentation just honey flavour in my beer.

I was planning to add about 250g of honey so as not to make the beer too sweet.

What do you boys reckon? Bad Idea?

so your carbing the keg with Co2 not yeast/honey?

If so personally id give it a go but i think (with all the mead recipes that Brewerpete has been posting) id make a Braggett(spelling) make a mead and blend it in for a distinctive flavor :)

Tom

Yeah carbing with CO2 so i dont need the honey for that, just the flavour.
I'll do a bit of reading up on the mead, but at this stage am inclined to just add the honey.

Cheers for the advice Tom

Just make sure you don't let it warm up otherwise the yeast will start eating the honey and over carbing the beer

Mmmhh,

give it a go, but you will still have yeast that may activate at theright temp with the honey / unreacted sugars. Not sure if you know or not, but the yeast will still be there.

So you basically will have an unstable beer at anything above serving temp. Unstable in that it will continue to ferment in the right conditions.

A more practical way to achieve the same result may be to make the beer without honey and stir a teaspoon into it as you pour it?

Sorry of this does not help.

Fear_n_Loath

Yeah true fear_n_loath.
Basically when i pour the beer i will have to drink it before it warms up and starts fermenting in the glass.
I think i can manage that. B)

Cheers for the advice fellas.

I will post the results in a couple of weeks.

Will it continue to ferment in your belly?

Also will this raise the ABV by 0.05% once it starts fermenting in your stomach.

Fellow Brewers,

I have been doing a bit of reading on brewing with honey.
It seems that honey is either added in the primary fermentation stage or in the secondary fermentation stage.

What if, upon completion of the primary stage i added a bit of disolved honey to my beer as i am transfering it to the keg, BUT, instead of going into secondary fermentation, i put the keg into the fridge to cold condition.

I figure that way the yeast will not be active and there will be no fermentation just honey flavour in my beer.

I was planning to add about 250g of honey so as not to make the beer too sweet.

What do you boys reckon? Bad Idea?

Hey mate try this....

Boil the jug and mix 1 part honey with 3 parts water

I put mine in a wash bottle but you could use an eye dropper or similar (what ever you have handy).

Run the honey solution down the glass while twirling it.

Pour your beer :icon_cheers:

SANY1719.JPG

SANY1722.JPG

SANY1725.JPG

I just did this with an american wheat and it's dangerously easy to drink. This way you can adjust honey flavour to taste as well.

Cheers :chug:

Latest posts

Back