Cold Condition Bad For Goodness Of Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unrealtb

Reaction score
I have heard, if you leave the yeast in you leave the B Vitamins etc, however if the beer is filtered this is taken out,

What about if you cold condition, are there still the above vitamins etc, or do they drop to the bottom, I would like to think my beer still retains some goodness...

Cheers!

I would like to think my beer still retains some goodness...

erm.. :blink:

lord knows mine do :icon_drunk: um.. are... something.. totally.. yup.

cold conditioning alone will not remove all the yeast? (Vitimin B?) that you need to condition bottles, (I hope this is what you mean) in fact Ive found that doing so (cold conditioning) makes for a much clearer beer at the end of the day but not lacking in any goodness as such.. erm..

vegemite comments witheld.

links HERE (Cold Conditioning) and a

helpful photo 1.JPG to help a man to fish :unsure:

peace out :huh:

Your diet shoud give you more than sufficient Vitamin B and I'm pretty sure beer is probably not the foodstuff of choice for fullfilling dietary requirements. Agreed though cold condioning will definately reduce the yeast in the beer but will most probably improve the taste and asthetic appeal.

Your diet shoud give you more than sufficient Vitamin B and I'm pretty sure beer is probably not the foodstuff of choice for fullfilling dietary requirements.

Well, I still have to listen to the stories from my grandma from time to time, telling me how she walked to the brewery once a week to collect a bucket of brewers yeast to aid the family's poor nutrition during and after WW2.

Your diet shoud give you more than sufficient Vitamin B and I'm pretty sure beer is probably not the foodstuff of choice for fullfilling dietary requirements. Agreed though cold condioning will definately reduce the yeast in the beer but will most probably improve the taste and asthetic appeal.

My diet is good, I just want my beer to be good as well.

I have heard, if you leave the yeast in you leave the B Vitamins etc, however if the beer is filtered this is taken out,

What about if you cold condition, are there still the above vitamins etc, or do they drop to the bottom, I would like to think my beer still retains some goodness...

Cheers!

None of my beers would be any good as vitamin supplements. Quite a few of them make good beers though....I tend to aim for the latter, call me crazy but...

None of my beers would be any good as vitamin supplements. Quite a few of them make good beers though....I tend to aim for the latter, call me crazy but...

You are crazy bro, I go for great beer which is good for my health.

I find drinking beer gives me the munchies. I eat vegemite on toast when I get the munchies. Problem solved.

You are crazy bro, I go for great beer which is good for my health.
Alcohol isn't good for your health, maybe you could just tip the finished beer out and eat the yeast straight from the fermenter. Add a little salt in there and you're golden.

Alcohol isn't good for your health, maybe you could just tip the finished beer out and eat the yeast straight from the fermenter. Add a little salt in there and you're golden.

Alcohol in moderation has been proven to be good for health and there is a long history of beer playing a large role in sustenance and nutrition. It has been found that the morbidity rate of moderate beer drinkers is far less than that of a person who doesn't drink at all.

You should read Charlie Bamforth, he has some fascinating literature about beer and brewing.

Ha Frakin sweet.. 2 for breakfast with me wheeties :party: ... all in the name of gettin me vitimins'o'course

:unsure:

[edit] moderation should call for one and a half but I cant stand wastage...

in absolutly no way is this serious..

any lesss than 3 and I dont get out of bed

Ha Frakin sweet.. 2 for breakfast with me wheeties :party: ... all in the name of gettin me vitimins'o'course

:unsure:

[edit] moderation should call for one and a half but I cant stand wastage...

in absolutly no way is this serious..

any lesss than 3 and I dont get out of bed

Hey man, I'm pretty sure I bend the moderation rule quite regularly myself... :ph34r:

Jusr saying that it's not all bad! :kooi:

I read somewhere, that alcohol takes out B vitamins, where yeast (in home brew only) puts it back in, so the beer is not as bad for you.

Now I think some people are thinking this is a big issue for me, like I am trying to brew Multi Vitamin Beer (not a bad idea, like bread) that will make me live for many years to come. No I am just wondering if the cold condition takes away the goodness of the yeast and b vitamins by dropping it all to the bottom, or does a good portion of it remains in god's finest.

I thought it would be interesting to know.

Pretty sure if there is Vitamin B in beer, it would be a pretty tiny amount.

Cold conditioning might reduce the tiny amount by a tiny amount, resulting in a very tiny amount consumed.

Either way, i dont think you (or your body) will notice it that much.

However, given that yeast is needed to bottle carb, and that bottle carbing can easily be done after cold conditioning i would guess that the beer does still contain vitamins after conditioning...

Jus sayin'. You're probably better off (as suggested by everyone) drinking your beer and not worrying about it. And popping a vitamin pill, if that is what does it for you...

Try dry hopping with your favourite multi-vitamin. I like Centrum.

Cheers!

It can be good for the badness of beer, but also bad for the goodness.
Try vitamin B etc tablets to make up for any deficiency.

Alcohol in moderation has been proven to be good for health and there is a long history of beer playing a large role in sustenance and nutrition. It has been found that the morbidity rate of moderate beer drinkers is far less than that of a person who doesn't drink at all.

You should read Charlie Bamforth, he has some fascinating literature about beer and brewing.

The back of my t shirt says
"beer is technically a vegetarian meal"
so it must be good for you!

In general beer is better stored cold. Heat is the enemy of beer. Warm is ok to achieve some short term goals (i.e carbing), but apart from that its all negative.

Back