Coffee Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on Sinkas wheres the link and is it available in Sunny Qld

It's not available in Australia :)

It is an awesome stout though.

If you google "alesmith speedway stout recipe", the first result is a recipe. For Alesmith Speedway Stout.

Let me set the record straight, the whole "cheating" thing may have sprung from my comments, but I specifically said "faking it" not 'cheating" and I was specific to coffee additions, not coriander or other spices nor chocolate. Certainly there are a few comercial examples of beer, usually stout with coffee added but specifically as a coffee beer. "coffee" notes are common in beers using roasted grains (wunda y), "coffee" is just one of the armory of smells and sensations that judges will use to describe a beer, I don't think anyone would seriously add passionfruit, or guava, or melon, or grapefruit to substitute for a hop that had those aromas and if they did they would not be cheating but they would be faking. !!!

K

Necro Alert,

This thread comes up on Search but as you can see it's petered out without anyone actually doing the deed and making a stout with coffee itself in the mash.
I'm thinking of doing this with a FES recipe today, friend has given me a couple of kilos of "Grinders" coffee fine grind which I guess is standard CBD-type latte-for-the-office-workers stuff but wondering how much to put in - 80g maybe? Has any stout freak like bradsbrew further explored coffee since the original thread?

Old Bar Foreign Extra Stout (Foreign Extra Stout)

For 23 Litres

Original Gravity (OG): 1.063 (°P): 15.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.19 %
Colour (SRM): 32.7 (EBC): 64.3
Bitterness (IBU): 34.7 (Average)

61.54% Pale Malt
7.69% Dry Malt Extract - Light
7.69% Munich I
7.69% Roasted Barley
7.69% Wheat Malt
3.85% Carapils (Dextrine)
3.85% Victory

COFFEE ?????????????????????????????

2.2 g/L Challenger (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1768 - IPA special edition

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

necro alert.jpg

Bribie G said:
Necro Alert,

This thread comes up on Search but as you can see it's petered out without anyone actually doing the deed and making a stout with coffee itself in the mash.
I'm thinking of doing this with a FES recipe today, friend has given me a couple of kilos of "Grinders" coffee fine grind which I guess is standard CBD-type latte-for-the-office-workers stuff but wondering how much to put in - 80g maybe? Has any stout freak like bradsbrew further explored coffee since the original thread?

Old Bar Foreign Extra Stout (Foreign Extra Stout)

For 23 Litres

Original Gravity (OG): 1.063 (°P): 15.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol (ABV): 6.19 %
Colour (SRM): 32.7 (EBC): 64.3
Bitterness (IBU): 34.7 (Average)

61.54% Pale Malt
7.69% Dry Malt Extract - Light
7.69% Munich I
7.69% Roasted Barley
7.69% Wheat Malt
3.85% Carapils (Dextrine)
3.85% Victory

COFFEE ?????????????????????????????

2.2 g/L Challenger (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1768 - IPA special edition

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
I added coffee to a Schwartzbier once, and it was one of the best beers I've ever made.

I "cold soaked" 250g of freshly ground beans in a large coffee plunger/french press and left it in the fridge overnight. The next day I plunged it and poured the liquid directly into the keg, after I'd filtered the Schwartzbier.

The resultant brew had long lasting coffee flavour and aroma; the cold pressing / soaking helped immensely.

Yes on balance I figured that if I added coffee to the mash, it probably wouldn't make it all the way to the glass, so I just brewed the stout without it and decided to do ultra late coffee like you did.
That cold pressing sounds interesting - does that give you the flavour and aroma without the bitterness / astringency?

At the ANHC last year Christian ??(Can't remember his last name) had a session about dark beers. I think he also was talking about adding coffee to dark beers. It was on the first day of the conference so, as can be expected, I can' remember all the details as I would like.

Christian did say you could contact him at any time with any recipes, questions and advice @ [email protected] or if you can read Dutch www.beerhere.dk .

Let us know how you go Bribie.

I've tried the cold overnight steeping before and it comes out pretty good. Hoping to try the mash steeping in an upcoming batch.

Bribie G said:
Yes on balance I figured that if I added coffee to the mash, it probably wouldn't make it all the way to the glass, so I just brewed the stout without it and decided to do ultra late coffee like you did.
That cold pressing sounds interesting - does that give you the flavour and aroma without the bitterness / astringency?
Yep, you get all of the coffee flavour, without too much bitterness and minimal aroma loss.

I am adding coffee to half of my Oatmeal Stout which is fermenting right now. I'll bottle half, then add cold steeped coffee to the second half and bottle it.
Any suggestions on how much I should be putting in? I'm seeing mixed responses everywhere. http://www.madalchemist.com/archives/adding-cold-brewed-coffee-to-your-beer/
suggests 226 grams for a full batch. People here are suggesting 40-80 grams?

We only want a fresh coffee flavour and aroma to compliment the oatmeal stout, not to overpower it.

Cheers

Cosh said:
I added coffee to a Schwartzbier once, and it was one of the best beers I've ever made.

I "cold soaked" 250g of freshly ground beans in a large coffee plunger/french press and left it in the fridge overnight. The next day I plunged it and poured the liquid directly into the keg, after I'd filtered the Schwartzbier.

The resultant brew had long lasting coffee flavour and aroma; the cold pressing / soaking helped immensely.
Hey Cosh,

What size was your batch?

I have some amazingly beautiful, fresh coffee beans on me and a Dry Irish Stout bubbling away. I tasted a sample of it, and at risk of ruining what already tastes nice, I'm wanting to add some freshly ground coffee and maybe even throw a vanilla bean in for a couple of days.

With cold pressing/soaking - how are you able to ensure sanitation? Just relying on the alcohol present in the beer?

I added 1/2 a plunger of strong coffe to a porter once.. Was more like porter flavoured coffee. A little goes a long way. My advice is to add a bit, then taste, adjust as needed.

There is a method of coffee production out there called "cold drip" and its all I drink in summer, cold and refreshing without the bitterness.
The plunger over night is the same basic theory, you get all the sweetness and none of the bitterness, one word of warning the longer a coffee is brewed for the higher the caffiene content :)

Keen as to make a smoked coffee porter.

Spiesy said:
Hey Cosh,

What size was your batch?

I have some amazingly beautiful, fresh coffee beans on me and a Dry Irish Stout bubbling away. I tasted a sample of it, and at risk of ruining what already tastes nice, I'm wanting to add some freshly ground coffee and maybe even throw a vanilla bean in for a couple of days.

With cold pressing/soaking - how are you able to ensure sanitation? Just relying on the alcohol present in the beer?
It was a 23L brew; I really like coffee though, so maybe with yours I would try 50-100g.

The sanitation wasn't an issue, I used boiled water that had cooled in the fridge before adding the coffee. The coffee was freshly roasted and ground.

Latest posts

Back