Coffee Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floydmeddler

Reaction score
So... has anyone ever used coffee in a stout recipe? If so, what kind and how much?

Quite interested in this.

Cheers

So... has anyone ever used coffee in a stout recipe? If so, what kind and how much?

Quite interested in this.

Cheers

Use a good brewed coffee, not instant. 500ml in 23L is a good starting point. Get a coffee plunger (also good for hop tea additions) and buy a coffee you like the taste of, some of the cheaper brands are just rubbish. make it as strong as you would drink it normally.reboiling coffee tends to sour so throw it in at fermenting stage, even better in at secondary.

throw in a couple of tblspns of cocoa for a mocha stout :icon_drool2:

Cheers

Sully

Stout and porter. Find a fancy schmancy coffee bean shop and try/smell all of their stock. One or two will jump out at you. Some coffee varieties work well in beer, while others not so much.

I've brewed a strong pot of coffee and added that to the boil - didn't really taste all that good. A friend put some fresh coffee grounds into a bowl of cold water and stored it in the fridge for a couple of days, then strained it and added it to a keg of stout. That was fantastic - one of the best coffee stouts I've ever tasted. I've brewed a coffee porter and added freshly ground coffee to the mash and then also "dry hopped" the beer with more fresh coffee grounds. I added 40g to the mash and used another 40g to "dry hop". This was for a 20l batch. That beer turned out really nice. The coffee added a fresh cinnamon/chocolate note. Can't remember what the name of the coffee was though.

I've read that boiling the beans is bad because tannins will be extracted.

Just a thought, how would that Chickory Extract go in a Stout/Porter? The stuff thats in the Coffee isle at the supermarkets in the blue & red (?) bottle.

Great ideas folks!
Coffee is the next thing on my list to add to stout, cold steep sounds like a winner and chickory sounds interesting Sully. This is the time of year to experiment with these funky additions, I've got a toucan in the fridge just about to go into secondary, as soon as its primary is empty I'm doing another. We all want to be prepared and have a huge inventory of winter warmers!
FYI, I have done star anise before in irish, and loved it. 25 - 50g whole in the boil is a great start. Search these forums for anise, you'll find my efforts (have to go, otherwise I'd look it up myself!)... Cheers.

I was just up the supermarket for the usual bread n milk, for the hell of it grabbed a bottle of the stuff mentioned earlier, to be precise it is "Bushells Sweetened Coffee & Chickory Essence" - ingredients Sugar - Caramel II - Water - Coffee (6%) - Chickory (0.004%).
I am having a cuppa made with it and it has notable molassess flavour about it, definately reminds me of a stout I had once tried also, but be buggered if I can remember what one though.
Im keen to give it a shot and report back. Although cant drink it as a cuppa, its a bit sweet for me as I dont have sugar in my coffee.
Any thoughts??
PS Sorry for the thread Hijack.. B)

there was a coffee recipe in one of the latest BYO magazines.. can post the recipe when I get home tonight if you like. I was thinking of doing it as my next brew.

It tells you exactly what type of coffee to use. There were 2 different kinds from memory

Get your hans on some jaspers coffee, my choice would be the 'Ethiopia Yirgacheffe' This is awesome when used as espresso or milk based espresso coffees. Gives a great honey, caramel flavour with a very smooth nutty palate and smooth bitterness.

"Pronounced honey almond tastes, a rich smooth clean body with luscious chocolate hints. From one of the world's top coffee growing regions, our partnership with World Vision is giving these farmers a fair price for their high quality produce, meaning World Vision can begin to withdraw from the area. The fair price provides an incentive for farmers to preserve one of the last remaining old growth forests of Ethiopia."

Cheers!

Get your hans on some jaspers coffee, my choice would be the 'Ethiopia Yirgacheffe' This is awesome when used as espresso or milk based espresso coffees. Gives a great honey, caramel flavour with a very smooth nutty palate and smooth bitterness.

"Pronounced honey almond tastes, a rich smooth clean body with luscious chocolate hints. From one of the world's top coffee growing regions, our partnership with World Vision is giving these farmers a fair price for their high quality produce, meaning World Vision can begin to withdraw from the area. The fair price provides an incentive for farmers to preserve one of the last remaining old growth forests of Ethiopia."

Cheers!

Can you get that from the local supermarket? Sounds like a good one :icon_cheers:

Cheers

Can you get that from the local supermarket? Sounds like a good one :icon_cheers:
Cheers

Specialty supermarkets like 'Leo's' will stock it and some continental IGA's do too. Just keep your eyes peeled when you are around speciilty foodstores. FWIW Jaspers offer online ordering... their coffe isn't cheap but if you are happy spending $3 on a coffee at the local cafe` why not spend a few bucks on some decent beans for the coffee you make at home.... much like our brewing. 1/2 kilo costs around $25 bucks from memory

www.jaspercoffee.com

Since Pomo is shying away from this one i will add my 2 c. :ph34r:

You dont need to add either coffee or chocolate to a stout. I am not against you doing so but if you want those flavours you can easily get them from the malt.

Give Warrens 4 shades of stout a go.

Roasted barley, carafa, pale choc, amber. Loads of coffee and chocolate. :icon_drool2:

I bulked it up to OG 1.056 and used NZ green bullet and ringwood yeast.

Best stout i have ever made bar none.

Reminds me, next batch i make will send a bottle your way Wazza. :icon_cheers:

Indeed Smurto...

However, if you want to add coffee to a stout (or anything to a beer) and are not sure how much... experiment with a commercial or other homebrewed stout, and add small amounts of coffee until you know how much you like per glass, then scale up.

I used either 80g or 100g (I can't remember) of coarse crushed (fresh) beans to 21L of oatmeal stout in secondary. Left it for a week and filtered.

Worked very well - coffee flavour is there, but not so strong that it overpowers other flavours.

This is the same method that Terrapin use for their Wake 'n' Bake Stout.

edit - BTW the coffee was 24/7 Blend from Five Senses Coffee.

+1 on the Yirgacheffe. Another that has a good robust flavour is Harrar.

If you want more 'funk' try Monsooned Malabar. It spends the monsoon season lying in open sided shed, kinda like floor malting, and takes on the aroma of surrounding area. Indian jungle, anyone? :)

I buy whole beans from Forsyths in Naremburn for $34 / kg. Same price for 100 g or 2 kg. They'll even grind it to spec for you.

Generally, the product from the supermarket or bulk packers rather than roasters is not as fresh by quite a long shot. Tobys branded products are around in gourmet delis and the like and are about halfway in between on age and quality.

Cheers - Fermented.

Since Pomo is shying away from this one i will add my 2 c. :ph34r:

<snip>

Roasted barley, carafa, pale choc, amber. Loads of coffee and chocolate. :icon_drool2:

<snip>

I agree, but don't think that people who want to do this shouldn't. Personally, I enjoy coffee notes from the roast barley and speciality malts. Pretty sure many of coffee's aromas come from the roasted outer shell of the bean, which would be the same compounds on the husk of roasted barley.

Interesting that people want to add coffee and liquorice to stout. I think we naturally associate flavours with colours of food, so see black stout, think black coffee and liquorice. That's the motivation for desiring those food flavours in a beer. You never (never say never, expecting someone to post a link to a coffee Vienna lager or somehting now) see people asking how to get coffee flavours into a pale beer or liquorice into an Amber Ale, although the flavours would probably work just as well as in a stout.

Anyway, enjoy the experimenting folks, it's all about the journey. If anyone finds the Holy Grail, send me a bottle, I might be convinced. Until then, I'll just live with boring old malt and hops.

You dont need to add either coffee or chocolate to a stout. I am not against you doing so but if you want those flavours you can easily get them from the malt.

None of those will give you caffeine though! ;)

Interesting that people want to add coffee and liquorice to stout. I think we naturally associate flavours with colours of food, so see black stout, think black coffee and liquorice. That's the motivation for desiring those food flavours in a beer. You never (never say never, expecting someone to post a link to a coffee Vienna lager or somehting now) see people asking how to get coffee flavours into a pale beer or liquorice into an Amber Ale, although the flavours would probably work just as well as in a stout.

I don't entirely agree with that, firstly because roasted grains to share a lot of similar flavour compounds to coffee and secondly because Matilda Bay's Crema was as pale as it was weird and uncomfortable.

Also I'm a big fan of dropping a shot of espresso into a pint of stout when I'm out and need a perk up.

Also I'm a big fan of dropping a shot of espresso into a pint of stout when I'm out and need a perk up.

Me too. I have introduced a few drinking mates to this and amazed them with the flavour.

Dr Smurto was on the money. I have always thought that additions of actual coffee to achieve a coffee taste in a beer is an unecessary complication.
My Hearty Porter reeks of coffee, particularly when in the fermenter. It mellowed in the keg somewhat but has proven to me that these flavours are easily gained without having the resort to shortcuts.

As for good coffee in general, I would also recommend the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. Have a gander at www.coffeesnobs.com.au where you can buy green beans online, and roast them youself. It takes about 5 minutes using a popcorn machine and the result is awesome.

Cheers,
Jake

Latest posts

Back