Cm2, Fourstar, Brendo, Maple Collaboration Brewday #2

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well fermentation of fury tge other day. Did a mongrel brew to get a good US05/pacman yeast cake to split on OVIS and RIPA. Dumped them on the cake after huge aeration. Dumped mild on some W1084 Irish slurry I had. Also fermented another 'pride of mt torrens' brew to get another yeast cake ready.also fermented an alt.

Gonna leave the Berlinner until summer.

Now I did forget to take OGs so I'm relying inn the original OGs taken. What did everyone else get?

He lives! Welcome back. Holy heck, you've been busy fermenting eh?
Can't help you out with the OGs, didn't remeasure before pitching. The berlinner went great, but had a slight issue, 19l doesn't go as far when you cam have 5 or 6 pints a day.

He lives! Welcome back. Holy heck, you've been busy fermenting eh?
Can't help you out with the OGs, didn't remeasure before pitching. The berlinner went great, but had a slight issue, 19l doesn't go as far when you cam have 5 or 6 pints a day.
Yes I'm alive but the brewing is barely kicking due to work completely slamming me and family commitments.

Anywho, the RIPA and OVIS both went into 60L fermentors.. There is a good 8inches of kraussen ring showing. Fkn monster ferment. Glad I played it safe and used the 60L.

Now to buy some oak chips. I'm also thinking of leaving a portion sitting on some cacao nibs in addition to the oak.

Now to buy some oak chips. I'm also thinking of leaving a portion sitting on some cacao nibs in addition to the oak.

Careful, have a taste of this guy before adding any Choc to it. There is heaps coming through mine. Just put it on tap on the weekend, and is tasting great. Braden's was excellent as well (hint of Tennessee in it too)

Just tapped my keg of the collaboration RIPA. It's like hop infused molasses! Thick spicy like a roggen but cut thru with all those hops. My god its a big mouthful. Hops linger and linger. Plenty of malt to support it. I'd say the balance for a huge beer like this is right.
Edit. Actually k recon I can taste choc. Maybe its kettle caramelization with dark crystal (cararye and carraaroma).

Just tapped my keg of the collaboration RIPA. It's like hop infused molasses! Thick spicy like a roggen but cut thru with all those hops. My god its a big mouthful. Hops linger and linger. Plenty of malt to support it. I'd say the balance for a huge beer like this is right.
Edit. Actually k recon I can taste choc. Maybe its kettle caramelization with dark crystal (cararye and carraaroma).
But can ya taste the chips?

But can ya taste the chips?
Haha no but it makes sense why dipping tge chips in the wort tasted so good. It's sooo rich. It's no wonder we got a stuck sparge. Awsome beer but you woulnt want to drinks pints of it. You'd be on ur arse pretty quickly. And it's such a big beer and heavy on hops, i recon you'd loose some of the hop impact after the 2nd pint as your taste buds would numb up a little. The malt helps keek this from being a silly hopped beer as does the body.

I found the RIPA recipe on promash. not sure if this was the final recipe before the computer died or not. but anyways it would be pretty close to this

Collab RIPA

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (L): 90.00 Wort Size (L): 90.00
Total Grain (kg): 35.75
Anticipated OG: 1.081 Plato: 19.55
Anticipated SRM: 10.4
Anticipated IBU: 109.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 105.88 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.069 SG 16.79 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
55.9 20.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
22.4 8.00 kg. Rye Malt America 1.030 4
5.6 2.00 kg. CaraRye 1.030 0
5.6 2.00 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 2
4.2 1.50 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 24
4.2 1.50 kg. TF Caramalt UK 1.034 19
2.1 0.75 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 24

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
100.00 g. Citra Pellet 14.00 44.3 60 min.
100.00 g. Columbus Pellet 14.00 44.3 60 min.
100.00 g. Chinook Pellet 13.00 6.9 5 min.
100.00 g. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 5.3 5 min.
100.00 g. Centennial Pellet 10.50 5.5 5 min.
100.00 g. Cascade Pellet 5.75 3.0 5 min.

no idea why there are 2 amounts of carared in the recipe. Im suure it was probably something else.
also no mash shedule listed. I dont remember for the life of me what it was?

Do you remember Brendo?

Holy mother of crap that mild is bitter. Almost mistake it for a cascadian IPA!

Lovely head, good medium light body. Slight aroma and some english mineral characteristics coming thru. Glad I used w1084 to keep some malt in this baby.

Well just poured thr first pint of ovis (no oak in mine yet),.. OMG! its big bold. Super smooth. No real trace of alc. Good thick body but not heavy. good bitterness. nice lingering taste. This is going to be a cracker in a year or so

So guys have you tasted the oaked versions yet?
Tasted? hell, mine was gone within 2 weeks of it hitting the keg. Shame, cuz it was a ripper. Actually, all the beers from the day were fantastic.

figured I shoudl resurect and report back

OVIS - killer beer. just wow. you can neck pints of that stuff (and then fall over).
mild (parigyle of OVIS) - great fun beer for us all to try something differant with.
RIPA - another killer beer. im going to scale down, make a few minor adjustments (like bring %alc down a little) and make that a regular beer.
Berlinner (partigyle of new world imperial pils) - i used roselare yeast for a slght differance. spent 2 months on roselare yeast. really nice and refreshing. about 2 pints is the limit until you decide you want something bigger. not as tart as striaght lactic, its got some other flavours going on which makes it a more interesting beer to drink than a straight/pure berlinner (IMO

yet to ferment new world pils. have built up a starter and will ferment once i have spare kegs. im sure it will be a cracker also judging by the other beers

Back