Cloudy Keg Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew

Reaction score
My dad has a problem with any beer that he brews from extract and kegs. Cloudy beer when using 7g yeast during frementation, but when he uses 5g yeast there is no problem

Any idea's guys?

How long do you let it sit for in a qube before you keg it?

7 days, killed off by temparture drop in still active airlock

no help or advice? surely someone knows something

come on doc, any advice? Im counting on someone to know the answer

no help or advice? surely someone knows something

Best solution- Invest in a filter system. Check out craft brewer web site and now the country brewer has a filter system.
I have been filtering my brews now for over 12 months with my own custom made system and have not looked back. The beer I am drinking tonight is only 5 days old and is crystal clear & tasting awsome. Stop waiting so long to drink you latest brew and get rid of cloudy brews for good, Invest in a filter system.

Read the filter system artice on craft brewers, but it does not answer one simple question both myself and my dad has. Why does 7g yeast make his beer cloudy in the keg, and why does 5g yeast not?

what is the difference in that extra 2g?

Read the filter system artice on craft brewers, but it does not answer one simple question both myself and my dad has. Why does 7g yeast make his beer cloudy in the keg, and why does 5g yeast not?

what is the difference in that extra 2g?

It has nothing to do with the extra 2gms of yeast. There are numerous reason why beer won't clear
1. Infection
2. Chill haze
3. The type of yeast used (not quantity. Some yeasts take longer to clear out than others)
4. Brand of kit, Style of kit
5. adjuncts used, & more

I suggest you pick up a couple of brewing books to give you a good, detailed idea of all of the above causes and solutions. I can recommend "Dave Millers homebrewing guide", "Home Brewing for Dummies" and "beer & Brewing" I have these ones. Also check out "howtobrew.com", Heap of info there too
These books give good detailed info on all problems related to your brewing.

Ok, here is an in depth discription of the problem.

When my dad makes a coopers kit, using 7g coopers yeast as supplied, the resulting beer when poured from the keg is cloudy.

When the same kit is brewed under the same conditions, but using "wanders" 5g yeast, and put in the same keg, under the same conditions the resulting beer is clear.

Why is this so? when nothing to the procedure changes aside from the brand and size of yeast used.

The reason we want an answer to this question is because wanders yeast is no longer available.

I think you have answered your own question. You are comparing 2 different yeasts and as grinder has said in the previous post the 2gram weight difference is not the problem. Different yeasts will behave in different ways. I would suggest trying a better quality yeast like safale US05 and add some gelatine finings to your beers at the end of fermentation to give you a clearer and far better tasting beer.

cheers

Ok, here is an in depth discription of the problem.

When my dad makes a coopers kit, using 7g coopers yeast as supplied, the resulting beer when poured from the keg is cloudy.

When the same kit is brewed under the same conditions, but using "wanders" 5g yeast, and put in the same keg, under the same conditions the resulting beer is clear.

Why is this so? when nothing to the procedure changes aside from the brand and size of yeast used.

The reason we want an answer to this question is because wanders yeast is no longer available.

Obviously they are 2 different yeast strains, with different fermentation characteristics. i.e flocculation, attentuation, top/bottom fermentation (lager/ale). Do some reading. Use a better strain of dried yeast eg, Fermentis make a great range of died yeasts. Go to your Local home brew shop and tell em what style of beer you are looking to make and get the best yeast and ingreadients for that style.
You will soon learn that the first thing to do when making a kit beer is throw away the supplied yeast and instructions. Get yourself a good yeast from you local HBS and some quality fermentables. This will give you far superior results and your cloudiness problem will become a very rare occurence if at all.

If the cloudy beer is only coming from the coopers brand yeast, I would say therein lies your answer. Try other yeasts out there and I think you'll find a difference again. For ales, you can't go wrong with a 1056 or safale US05. I've always had good clarity from these (after I learned about racking, it helped even more)

Maple

Edit: Yeah what Grinder said...oh and Mothballs too (i really need to learn how to type faster)

Thanks for the reply mothballs,

will the 11.5g of the safale US05 yeast be too much for a standard coopers brew?

Use a good quality yeast, their about $4.50 from HBS and make a world of difference.
I let my brews sit for a week after fermentation has finished as I don't have a filter.
I almost never get cloudy beers.
HTH

Dave

Use a good quality yeast, their about $4.50 from HBS and make a world of difference.
I let my brews sit for a week after fermentation has finished as I don't have a filter.
I almost never get cloudy beers.
HTH

Dave

I let mine sit a week or two after fermentation has finished. Nice and clear.
It is a common failing of new brewers to rush the beer out of the fermenter and into the bottle or keg.

Thanks for the tip post. going to give it a try for next keg

Latest posts

Back