Christmas/Summer BIAB Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowlyf

Reaction score
Guys,

I am after a delicious summer beer for the festive season.
We will have a lot of family over so throw your best recipes down! (Please)

Cheers

Easy summer ale. Light and it packs a punch with all cubed hops. Galaxy and Mosiac are a great summer combo imo.

OG:1.045 Size: 23
FG: 1.010
IBU: 30

Grain:
3.5kg BB Pale Malt
1kg Wheat Malt
0.2kg Caramalt

Hops:
20g Galaxy - Cube
20g Mosiac - Cube
25g Galaxy - Dry Hop
25g Mosiac - Dry Hop

Yeast:
M44 or Wy 1272

Kolsch

100% German Pils malt (or up to 5% munich/vienna if you like; some add about 5% wheat)
Spalt hops (or other noble hops) at 90 minutes

I aim for an ABV of 4,5% and about 21 IBU. If you aim higher or lower, keep the bitterness to starting gravity ratio at about 0.5

Single infusion mash at 65C for 60 minutes; 90 minutes boil with whirlfloc or equivalent 10/15 minutes before the end
WLP 029 is my preferred yeast at 16C
It benefits from some lagering if you can and is a good candidate for gelatine/finings or filtering

hwall95 said:
Easy summer ale. Light and it packs a punch with all cubed hops. Galaxy and Mosiac are a great summer combo imo.

OG:1.045 Size: 23
FG: 1.010
IBU: 30

Grain:
3.5kg BB Pale Malt
1kg Wheat Malt
0.2kg Caramalt

Hops:
20g Galaxy - Cube
20g Mosiac - Cube
25g Galaxy - Dry Hop
25g Mosiac - Dry Hop

Yeast:
M44 or Wy 1272
Please excuse my ignorance, but please explain cube hopping?

And how did you work out ibu with the cube hop ?

I figured that as soon as it goes below 80 degrees c it stops adding bitterness but I can't work out when it drops below 80

I have just been chucking the cube in the laundry sink full of water changing it when ever the water feels warm

Lowlyf said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but please explain cube hopping?
No chill technique where instead of adding the hops to the boil or flame-out, they are dumped into the cube with the hot wort racked on top, cube sealed up and left to cool on its own.

As the hops are added to the hot wort there is some 'rough' approximations on how much IBU this adds, but most use something like a 15-20min addition as an equivalent to cube hoping

Yeah as SBOB mentioned, I just use 15min as an approximation which to my tastebuds have tasted about right. The recipe above makes for an easy brew due to it's lack of kettle additions, just have to remember to add whirlfloc/equivalent and apart from that you can start cleaning and have a beer.

SBOB said:
No chill technique where instead of adding the hops to the boil or flame-out, they are dumped into the cube with the hot wort racked on top, cube sealed up and left to cool on its own.

As the hops are added to the hot wort there is some 'rough' approximations on how much IBU this adds, but most use something like a 15-20min addition as an equivalent to cube hoping

hwall95 said:
Yeah as SBOB mentioned, I just use 15min as an approximation which to my tastebuds have tasted about right. The recipe above makes for an easy brew due to it's lack of kettle additions, just have to remember to add whirlfloc/equivalent and apart from that you can start cleaning and have a beer.
Ahh yep piece of cake. I have a 15L cube that I use for my half batches but I may have to invest in a bigger cube then. That is probably the easiest recipe I've ever seen. Love it

Lowlyf said:
Ahh yep piece of cake. I have a 15L cube that I use for my half batches but I may have to invest in a bigger cube then. That is probably the easiest recipe I've ever seen. Love it
If you want even more cube hopping advice (or inspiration to throw massive amounts of hops into a cube) then look for Yob's posts on the topic

Summer Ale

Mashed at 64 for 40mins

60% pils
40% wheat

60min boil

10min only addition of Simcoe,centennial, Citra to 20ibu, if no chill add to cube.

Ferment at 18c and dry hop same combo at 2g/L.

Pratty1 said:
Summer Ale

Mashed at 64 for 40mins

60% pils
40% wheat

60min boil

10min only addition of Simcoe,centennial, Citra to 20ibu, if no chill add to cube.

Ferment at 18c and dry hop same combo at 2g/L.
Sounds kind of like an American wheat recipe

What is the difference between an American wheat and a Summer ale ?

Not a big fan if ferals summer ale , slyfox

My 3rd BIAB recipe a summer/session ale...gonna brew it on the weelend

Batch Size (L): 50.0
Total Grain (kg): 10.000
Total Hops (g): 230.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.62 %
Colour (SRM): 3.8 (EBC): 7.5
Bitterness (IBU): 54.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
9.000 kg barretts burstin ale malt (90%)
0.500 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (5%)
0.500 kg Wheat Malt (5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
60.0 g Columbus Pellet (14.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.2 g/L)
35.0 g D Saaz Pellet (5.2% Alpha) @ 20 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
35.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @30 minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
50.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)
50.0 g D Saaz Pellet (5.2% Alpha) @ 5 Days (Dry Hop) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
5.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 17°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

This ones a cracker.
Sweet malt and a nice hop flavour.
Won't offend anyone but enough character for those who know.
2 weeks in the bottle to carb and drinks brilliant.

Summer Ale
Original Gravity (OG): 1.037 (°P): 9.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol (ABV): 3.64 %
Colour (SRM): 4.8 (EBC): 9.5
Bitterness (IBU): 24.0 (Average)

48.65% Pilsner
27.03% Golden Promise Malt
13.51% Munich I
5.41% Carahell
5.41% Wheat Malt
0.6 g/L Super Alpha (11% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Cascade (5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.6 g/L Galaxy (13.4% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes (Boil)

Boil for 60 Minutes
Fermented at 15°C with 1028 - London Ale 3 months + 11gm US-05

Mash in - 54c - 10 min
Rest 66c - 40 min
Mash Out 72c - 20 min
Sparge 75c

Recipe #1

100% Pils

Czech Saaz or Perle to 24-27 ibu @ 60 mins

Mash at 66

Yeast: Budvar, Danish Lager or similar fermented at 11c (Diacetly rest done, lager for two weeks before moving to kegs)

Recipe #2

95% ale malt, 5% wheat (or light xtal)

Cascade or Amarillo to 35 ibu at 60, 1g/l at flameout

Mash at 66 for 60

Yeast: 1056,1272, us-05 or WLP001 ferment at 17 ramp to 19 near end of ferment, CC for 5 days before moving to kegs.

Both recipes aim 1.044- 1.050 OG

Spohaw said:
Sounds kind of like an American wheat recipe
What is the difference between an American wheat and a Summer ale ?
Not a big fan if ferals summer ale , slyfox
Yep and American wheat, perfect for summer!

If you like reduce the wheat to 15-20% but what's important is to get the pH right and the carbonation higher like 2.6-2.8 vols to get it crisp.

Summer is a great time to make some yeast driven beers!

A basic hefeweizen with 50/50 pils and wheat to about 1.045. 15 IBU of noble hops and a good liquid hefe yeast. Ferment at 16C for a bit of balance in flavour. Also has the advantage of being ready to drink in a week and beat drunk young.

Saison is another great summer style. For a basic one use 80% pils, 20% wheat to about 1.040. Mash low at around 63C. Aim for about 20 IBU, you can add some flavour or aroma additions but they're not essential. Wyeast farmhouse ale is great for this and push the temp up into the high 20s. Something a bit different but a lovely easy summer drink.

contrarian said:
Summer is a great time to make some yeast driven beers!
Yeah +1 to yeast driven beers. An afternoon Hefe on the back deck is lovely. Same with a saison, but unfortunately most of my saisons aren't the most sessionable beers...

I'm a bit bias because I love it, but wy3638 is an excellent Hefe yeast. Ferments very fast and gives at great combo at flavour at 17. If you did a mash rest at 43 you can also bring out more clove. I didn't mean to but I did a Hefe grain to glass in 6 days earlier in the year. Finished fermenting in two and by the sixth it was tasting great so I kegged it. Also was best Hefe I've made

This thread is reminding of all the brewing I need to get done starting in two weeks

hwall95 said:
This thread is reminding of all the brewing I need to get done starting in two weeks
tell me about it... see my pipeline in my sig... still got heaps more to do, getting married in Feb, and need 10 kegs at least. Plus there's a whole summer of drinking in between... joizus

dannymars said:
tell me about it... see my pipeline in my sig... still got heaps more to do, getting married in Feb, and need 10 kegs at least. Plus there's a whole summer of drinking in between... joizus
Yeah a lot a brewing indeed! I brewed for my older brothers wedding (just bottled though) and it was a lot of work, but the guests loved it though, they drunk 13 cartons...

And there's summer drinking with the mates that love coming over for a 'few' beers, at least summer's a good way to get a range of summer beers downpat :D

Latest posts

Back