Christmas Lotto 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prince Imperial said:
Not at all mate, was very drinkable, but I imagine more-so with the bubbles. I've not made a lager yet, but will be along these lines when I do.
I just used Bohemian Lager Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2124) and fermented at 11 degrees with a D Rest at 17 degrees...both beers were my first attempts at lagers, I used the slurry from the black lager in the nelson lager and it seemed to work fine.

Prince Imperial said:
Fat ******* - Les Sang des Innocents - Beetroot Saison

Appearance: deep ruby red, pinkish red around the highlights, pours with a bright pink head that receded to a pink ring around the glass.

Aroma: earthy, sweet beetroot, spicy saison yeast.

Taste: slightly sour saison flavour with beetroot earthiness, moderate low bitterness, spicy notes (from hops or yeast?) - emerging throughout the glass is a fruitiness that I think is bring driven by the yeast. There is a sweetness that I associate with beetroot - non fermentable sugars?

Mouthfeel: feels like a fuller bodied beer initially, but finishes dry. Lowish carbonation for style, though it may have lost some bubbles after bottling from the keg. 8% ABV and hides it well - no alcohol warmth or bite.

Overall: really interesting and enjoyable - the beetroot definitely complements the style well and makes for a visually arresting beer.
Thanks for the glowing review Prince!
The carb thing is something I need to work on a little. I plan to enter a few comps this year and have a red hot crack with it, although it is good to hear that there was no infection or obvious other faults.
Planning to brew this one again, although first I'll re brew the base saison first to see if I can address some of the dryness in the finish and maybe try to lower the sourness from the yeast. the first un-beetrooted version I did was very lemony indeed, which is I believe caused by temeratures on the low end of the scale for the yeast. Maybe add some sort of lighter crystal too?

Cheers again. I apreciate the feedback and understand what a tough job it can be!

Prince Imperial said:
Beersuit - ruthless rye IPA

Appearance: deep browny amber with a persistent off white head clings to the glass the whole way down

Aroma: quintessential IPA nose - I know I'm going to enjoy this before I even taste it: lovely, dank hop aroma, with a spicy rye note.

Taste: hop forward - big hit of citrus up front with a tail of resiny pine. The malt profile is well calibrated to the hoppiness, a touch of sweetness and that lovely spicy rye tail.

Mouthfeel: really well balanced - there's no overcompensation of body to counter the hoppiness, this is a relatively spritzy IPA, but IMO that increases the beer's sessionability.

Overall: Cracking IPA - balanced, big, sessionable - I'd happily drink this along side any of the commercial RIPAs I've had lately, including the MG RIPA

PS - I'd love the recipe for this if you're willing to share.

Edit: superfluous 'e'
Thanks for the feedback mate. As I said earlier it's a little old but is still drinking well. I will shoot you a pm with the recipe. I have been toying with this one for a while and am quite happy with it.

First cab off the rank, fitting for it to be a previous winner who didn't even enter, but wanted to pay it back and receive some feedback.

Fat ******* - Imperial Red

Appearance. Very dark, deep red when held up to the light. Little head which dissipates. Low carb.

Aroma. Sweet malt, perfume and resinous hops combine. A little dark toasty. No obvious flaws.

Taste. Full of flavour. Hops hit me up front, there's a sticky sweetness from the malt but still finishes fairly dry with a firm lingering bitterness. Pleasant alcohol flavour.

Mouthfeel. Medium full. As expected from such a big beer. No hotness or solventy. Could do with more carbonation.

Overall. A really enjoyable beer. I've finished the first glass just swyping this. Big malt sweetness and resinous, citrussy hops are what I expected and this beer delivered.

Thanks very much for the beer, and for emailing your recipe.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1389171991737.jpg

Thanks Josh! Hope you didn't sample more after this one, your palate will be rooned!

Looks like I need to tune up my decanting process. Off the tap this can be a ******* to pour, the head is big and billowy normally.

Cheers mate, and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Liam Snorkel - Lightly Smoked Brown?

Appearance. Brown, clear, no head, good carb.

Aroma. Moderate smoke, a little dark fruit and toasty.

Taste. Sweet malty flavour up front, slight smoke flavour, a bit like fresh cut tobacco too.

Mouthfeel. Low-medium. Low-medium carb appropriate.

Overall. An interesting beer. The lightly smoked aspect produces flavours different to higher percentages of smoked malt. More tobacco like than smokey or bacon flavour. Clean fermented, could maybe do with a more estery ferment to add another dimension. What yeast did you use?

Cheers.

uploadfromtaptalk1389176078184.jpg

Edak - summer weizen

Appearance: cloudy, straw colour, golden highlights, decent, light head receded to a modest cover.

Aroma: sour, yeasty, a little bready

Taste: tart with pronounced bubble-gum esters. Subdued phenolic notes in the form of a slight peppery taste at the back of the beer. Reasonably bitter for a weizen, but still to style. Lingering esters and yeasty flavour (not unpleasant)

Mouthfeel: spritzy carbonation with a nice dry finish. I'm left "chewing bubblegum" but no residual sweetness etc.

Overall: I'm sitting in my back yard at 8pm and it's still 33C. I chilled this right down and poured it into a frosty glass. It's Friday of my first week back at work. Little fella's in bed and I have no weekend commitments. Life is ******* grand, and this is a lovely beer to be drinking right now. Top work Edak!

Menoetes - Pacific Ale

Drinking this ice cold as would be expected, Upon opening nice crisp citrus nose, Pours crystal clear.. second pouring I roused the yeast as would normally be done... .. looking like a great beer so far on a 38 degree day.... medium to low head with little retention, High carbonation..maybe a bit too high.....low bitterness, fruity nose and flavour of passionfruit and orange...guessing you used galaxy?? clean and crisp with light body.. aroma is light and pleasant when drinking..

Overall very easy to drink on this friken hot day.. Thanks mate :)

Grainer

Unknown-8.jpeg

Glad you liked it and thanks for the feedback. :)

It's a Stone and Wood clone so you're spot on about the hops; it's galaxy and only galaxy. I used carb drops to prime so it would be a bit fizzier than you might expect, I've since moved onto bulk priming so when I do it again it should be better in that regard.

For a simple kit & bits I was certainly pleased with the way it turned out and will be making it again.

Cheers, I'm glad you enjoyed it Grainer.
Meno

Josh said:
Liam Snorkel - Lightly Smoked Brown?

Appearance. Brown, clear, no head, good carb.

Aroma. Moderate smoke, a little dark fruit and toasty.

Taste. Sweet malty flavour up front, slight smoke flavour, a bit like fresh cut tobacco too.

Mouthfeel. Low-medium. Low-medium carb appropriate.

Overall. An interesting beer. The lightly smoked aspect produces flavours different to higher percentages of smoked malt. More tobacco like than smokey or bacon flavour. Clean fermented, could maybe do with a more estery ferment to add another dimension. What yeast did you use?

Cheers.

Yeast was bry-97 I think. Was going to be more of a session-rauch but first time using weyermann smoked and probably should have doubled the %.

Prince Imperial said:
Edak - summer weizen

Appearance: cloudy, straw colour, golden highlights, decent, light head receded to a modest cover.

Aroma: sour, yeasty, a little bready

Taste: tart with pronounced bubble-gum esters. Subdued phenolic notes in the form of a slight peppery taste at the back of the beer. Reasonably bitter for a weizen, but still to style. Lingering esters and yeasty flavour (not unpleasant)

Mouthfeel: spritzy carbonation with a nice dry finish. I'm left "chewing bubblegum" but no residual sweetness etc.

Overall: I'm sitting in my back yard at 8pm and it's still 33C. I chilled this right down and poured it into a frosty glass. It's Friday of my first week back at work. Little fella's in bed and I have no weekend commitments. Life is ******* grand, and this is a lovely beer to be drinking right now. Top work Edak!
I am glad you enjoyed it and thank you very much for the positive feedback prince. I was unsure how that one would turn out and I think of the two I sent you its probably the tastier one as the English mild 3% I also sent may not leave much of an impression as I haven't figured out how to make a light beer tasty.

Did I have over pack them? I haven't sent beer via mail before and may have gone overboard... Box, pipes, padding.

Grumpy Paul's INFAMOUS School night 10min IPA:

Well, I have been hanging to try this one...

After having a Pliny the Elder the other night, which was a Double IPA, this one was quite pleasant despite the inherent issues in the background... Colour gas dark copper as you can see.. being similar I am guessing columbus and maybe some Simcoe maybe without going back over the thread?? I was expecting a little bit more of an aroma hit, however it wasn't there.., although it was nice. The brew was nicely buttered as I would have expected. The brew was a little over carbonated and produced a large creamy copper toned head, which later dissipated to a nice level when drinking.. I like a bit of Head :super: . It has a very nice creamy mouth feel to me although I would have expected it to be a bit more crisp and in your face IPA.

Over all very good for a Famous 10 min brew when your on a school night with no time....

20140114_193850.jpeg

Menoetes - Lil Cheaper Pacific Ale

Great aroma on the nose, Pours crystal clear..perfect bitterness and hops.. I like this.....nice malt balance and lingering bitterness.. Guessing cascade in this... maybe chinook... has a strong citrus taste with grapefruit flavours behind it.. it is quite pleasant and refreshing.. This is really easy to drink and I am sure if I had a few bottles in this warm weather they would be getting cracked open a little more regularly..

Thanks mate :)

20140114_223703.jpeg

Edak said:
I am glad you enjoyed it and thank you very much for the positive feedback prince. I was unsure how that one would turn out and I think of the two I sent you its probably the tastier one as the English mild 3% I also sent may not leave much of an impression as I haven't figured out how to make a light beer tasty.

Did I have over pack them? I haven't sent beer via mail before and may have gone overboard... Box, pipes, padding.
Ha! The packaging was very enthusiastic. For those playing at home, Edak sent his beers very securely housed inside two bits of poly pipe, held in place with enough padding to insulate the roof of a granny flat. It was held together with 3 rolls of packing tape! I jest, of course. I was grateful to receive two intact beers, but I did slice my finger opening them!

Ok, so I attacked the mild last night, my verdict below:

Appearance: pours a nice copper amber with a creamy head that dissolved to a ring around the glass.

Aroma: unusual, fresh and malty with an almost minty note.

Taste: nice caramel/toffee malty flavours, mild to moderate hop bitterness that lingers briefly on the palate. A light honey flavour on the palate.The same almost minty note as I detected in the aroma - bad descriptor, as it's not mint, just reminiscent of it. It's a clean tasting beer and I was unable to detect any off flavours.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a crisp finish that feels dry and refreshing. Smooth in the mouth, medium carbonation.

Overall: Edak had warned me this beer might be boring and I didn't find that to be the case. It's a tidy quaffer with plenty going on.

Fat ******* - American Amber

Appearance - Reddish amber/copper, clear. Thick tan head, high carbonation. Looks really good.

Aroma - Dominant aroma is American style hops. A bit citrussy. A bit of toasty malt in the background. No off aromas.

Taste - Good hit of dark malt flavour, some bready, dark toasty and chocolate notes. Also prominent late hop flavour. Clean ferment. Medium high bitterness balances out the malt.

Mouthfeel - Medium, high carbonation helps lift it off my tongue.

Overall - Really enjoyable beer. Thanks again for sharing while under no obligation to do so. I would be happy to have brewed it.

20140115_174729.jpg

Going Down A Hill - English Bitter

SMaSH GP SG Ringwood.

Appearance - clear and golden, lightly carbed. Small white head.

Aroma - Bready malt and light fruity esters.

Taste - Malt is tending sweeter with a honey flavour. Nice fermentation flavours. Bitterness present but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel - just a bit of astringency but generally fine.

Overall - I like that there's not a bunch of crystal getting in the way of the base malt and yeast. A fine beer, thanks for sharing.

uploadfromtaptalk1389776106875.jpg

Josh said:
Fat ******* - American Amber

Appearance - Reddish amber/copper, clear. Thick tan head, high carbonation. Looks really good.

Aroma - Dominant aroma is American style hops. A bit citrussy. A bit of toasty malt in the background. No off aromas.

Taste - Good hit of dark malt flavour, some bready, dark toasty and chocolate notes. Also prominent late hop flavour. Clean ferment. Medium high bitterness balances out the malt.

Mouthfeel - Medium, high carbonation helps lift it off my tongue.

Overall - Really enjoyable beer. Thanks again for sharing while under no obligation to do so. I would be happy to have brewed it.
Great review. Thanks Josh!
Looking to brew this one again soon. I was thinking about dropping the bitterness a smidgen ,this one calc-ed out to 47IBU (Rager) but is probably around 44-45ish due to the 2l unhopped starter. Was looking to drop it to a calculated 40 IBU and maybe reducing the dry hop addition a little.

I kind of like it as is, and not sure I should play with the recipe too much!

Cheers again!

FB

Judenero: Scotish Ale

Opening the bolle on the pour I was overwhelmed by huge head.. after it subsided after a minute or 2.. I got started...

Appearance: A nice clear clean copper brown, laced with a creamy very lightly copper tanned head. Medium carbonation.

Aroma: Hints of caramel and spice and sweetness

Mouthfeel: medium smooth. however dont know why .. I was expecting a crisper beer.. first timer on this one..not sure if im right but seems like it has unfermentable sugars in it or sweeteners???? that are obviously helping withthe creamy mouth feel....

Taste: Caramel malt with sweetness behind it. I kept wondering if there was something missing from it.. just wondering if it needs something in the ackground that lingers and holds in your mouth to keep you wanting more and more...Guess I would like a little more oomph in it.. but overall quite pleasant and very eary to drink.. Low in hop character and bitterness.

cheers mate :) nice easy drinking brew

Unknown-9.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback Grainer! I had 15% smoked malt in there... Was hoping that would have come through in the bottle- back to the drawing board ;) thanks again mate much appreciated!

Back