Christmas Lotto 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
barls said:
its one of those things you ether love it or hate it.
I'm in the love camp - barls I'm looking at brewing one soon, have you had any issues with cross contamination by kegging a sour? or do you do a sour mash instead?

Only from my own stupidity mate.. Ie don't use the same object to take samples across the board. Other than that no.. Haven't done a sour mash as I get more than enough sourness in there.
Have one constant sour tap but have had about 3 on at one point or another. Cleaned the lines as per normal for me and nothing

Grainer said:
Meathead: Pot kettle Black Porter:

Pours beautifully, with a nice creamy tanned head. Nice coffee caramel flavours that smoothly delight me :) Good bitterness Aroma very light on and overall a very nice porter..

John
Thanks John, glad you liked it.
Hope the new rig is going well

NealK - Vienna Lager

Drinking this while I brew.

Rich cookie dough and toasty maltiness. Just enough bitterness to balance it although still towards the malt. Then finishes dry so I want to take another sip.

Malty lagers are my favourite styles to brew. I'd love to see the recipe as I would definitely brew this one.

Thanks very much for sharing.

uploadfromtaptalk1391155942150.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Josh, I'm glad you liked it. It is one of my favourites at the moment. It's actually a really simple brew.
23l batch BIAB no chill.
4.3kg JW Munich light
1.0kg Toasted JW Munich light (stuck in the oven for 10 mins @ 175)
25g tettneng @ 40mins
25g tettnang @ 20mins
25g tettnang in the cube.
Bavarian lager yeast.
It's a bit of a munich, tettnang SMASH really. From the keg you can drink this when it is only about a week old!
Let me know how it goes if you brew it yourself.
Cheers
Neal

Too Much Coffee Stout Man:

Appearance: Nice and dark as a stout should be with a creamy tan head, although it looks a little over carbonated

Smell: Not much there.... but...

Taste: Slightly over carbonated.. but I like it :) Hmmm mmmm.. coffee stout ... I changed my mind I love it and I want the receipe !!! Nice roasted coffee flavour and reminds me of carbonated Kahlua mixed with a little Baileys !!

I need the receipe .. PLEASE !!

Oh one this wrong with this my bottle has run out of stout man !!

Not sure if the list is right.. Hopefully it is...If not let me know what you sent !! Might have put 1 or 2 down as delivered that weren't !! :(

1. Tricache DELIVERED
2. Donske
 DELIVERED
  2. 3.Robv
 DELIVERED
  3. 4.GrumpyPaul DELIVERED
5. Meathead
 DELIVERED
  5. 6. Adryargument
 DELIVERED
  6. 7. Donske
 DELIVERED
  7. 8. Beersuit
 DELIVERED
  8. 9. HBHB SENDING
10. Menoetes DELIVERED
11. DJ_L3ThAL SENDING
  11. 13. Pommiebloke DELIVERED
14. Nu_brew DELIVERED
15. Josh
 DELIVERED
  14. 16.Serge Marx DELIVERED
17. booker_h
 SENDING
  16. 18. booker_h SENDING
19. Cocko
 DELIVERED
  18. 20. Robbo5252

19. 21. Beersuit
 DELIVERED
  20. 22. jyo
 DELIVERED
  21. 23. Masters Brewery DELIVERED
24. Menoetes
 DELIVERED
  23. 25. Yob
 DELIVERED
  24. 26. Kieren DELIVERED
27.barls
 DELIVERED
  26. 28.Robv
 DELIVERED
  27. 29.Judanero
 DELIVERED
  28. 30. GTG DELIVERED
31. Adryargument
 DELIVERED
  30. 32.Grainer
 DELIVERED
  31. 33.keifer33
 SENDING
  32. 34.yum beer

33. 35. Menoetes DELIVERED

Josh said:
CoopsOz - APA

Appearance. Clear light golden. High carb, thick white head.

Aroma. American hops jump out. Really enticing smell.

Taste. Sweet malt balanced with fresh tasting hops. Medium bitterness, finishes slightly sweet.

Mouthfeel. Light body, med-high carb. No astringency.

Overall. Nice hoppy Pale Ale. Keg bottling worked fine Coops. Didn't lose any carb, no oxidation.

attachicon.gif
uploadfromtaptalk1390996246609.jpg
Thank you for the feedback Josh, it is very much appreciated. I don't have anyone around to critique my beers so I really wasn't sure how it would go down. As for your comment on mouthfeel, I agree whole heartily......most of my beers have too little body for my liking and I don't know how to correct it. I'm in the process of upgrading my current BIAB setup to a 3V so hopefully that will fix it.

When you get to mine just be aware my "Brown Ale" turned out more like a porter! Looking forward to some feedback - must be a chore getting through all these beers!

Chocy choc choc Stout: Masters brewery:

Bottle Appearance: Spectacular work on the bottle and labels.. one of the better ones and was great to see the effort you put into this.

Beer Appearance: .. I would have preferred to see a richer colour form the stout with a nice darker brown velvety colour. The head had a nice tan too it, although it failed to keep its head for long due to over carbonation blowing away the head from large bubbles..

Carbonation: As you don't bottle very often can be totally excused but quite a bit over carbed and would have preferred a smoother smoth feel, but the carbing is destroying it a little, although I can tell there is good mouth feel behind the carbing. Also a little light on.. I prefer a heavier stout. I am sure it is way better out of your kegs...

Aroma: Definantly a nice roasted chocolate aroma in the glass. Have you tried the addition of chocolate to your late brew or even to the secondary fermenter??? If you are going for a choccy choc choc stout this may help but it depends if you want to stay a purist. You could try mimic a breakfast stout without the coffee additions. That's my next brew to do.

Taste: Although it superficially looks like I am knocking this... I do like it.. I have taking a real warming to stouts lately even though it is summer !! Also there seems to be a little too much alcohol taste in the glass.. not sure how this comes about or how to get rid of it, maybe something to work on to get it smoother..

now getting rid of that carb by shaking the glass around: Confirmed my thoughts.

Overall a very nice stout still.

Grainer

Jyo: ESB Styrian Bomb

I needed tis afer a crappy day of work.. something a little stronger.. was going to hop into my Pliny the Elder, but I got more adventurous when I opened the fridge and saw this ...

Appearance: Deep gold, copper coloration with subtle head, with a little haze present.. maybe this can be improved.... With low carbonation, so far this is totally spot on.

Aroma: Very nice aromas, with a little spicy character to it with what seems to be fruits int he background.

Taste: Being an ESB.. Totally what I was expecting .. a more aggressive beer and a little in your face, although I think my Pliny beats this hands down.. Its the next to enter the glass to get wasted after a totally shit day. Bitterness is not excentualted which is good for an ESB.

I liked it

Grainer thanks for the feed back I will be re doing this one in the winter, this batch got away from me a little in OG the alcohol content was suposed to be around 6.5. Chocolate well it has cocoa, choc grain and a 200gm block of 70%. you recon more?
thanks again
Mike

MastersBrewery said:
Grainer thanks for the feed back I will be re doing this one in the winter, this batch got away from me a little in OG the alcohol content was suposed to be around 6.5. Chocolate well it has cocoa, choc grain and a 200gm block of 70%. you recon more?
thanks again
Mike
The chocolate was there.. but I think it was being overpowered by the alcohol content and carbonation.. I would work on those and I think then the chocolate will shine through..

Menoetes: Dodgy Codger Brown Ale

No photo its brown foamy liquid .. you get the idea...

On the pour..its brown and foamy ..head is there..but retention is minimal to good. Clear liquid..nice malty coffee aromas .. although carbonation is way too high for me and it is overpowering everything and removing the sensation of the beer.. underneath.. mind you I'm half sloshed right now.. there are nice characters in the fast and it reminds me of plums and ripe roasted fruits.. going to now shake the bottle up and get rid o the carbonation... give me a sec...will take it a while to get rid of the boys head...wow a lot of carbonation to get rid of.. this may take a while.. not the worsts I've had mind you... I'll excuse you and say the bottle may have been from the dregs of the fermenter...LOL .. my dog hates the taste of the overflow on the ground from shaking it up... LMAO LMAO..nope still over carbed.. baring this I'n mind and looking beyond it.. it seems ok...

cheers

Grainer

Indica86 - 1st AG

Appearance. Hazy golden. High carb, thick white head.

Aroma. Tropical fruit combines with a bready malt aroma. Also can smell jelly crystals, like when you've added the hot water and it's combining, interesting.

Taste. Low toasty malt. High mango and apricot flavour from the hops. Strong bitterness but not harsh. Low esters. Finishes pretty dry.

Mouthfeel. Medium body, high carb. Not astringent or hot.

Overall. Nice hoppy beer. An excellent beer for a first all grain. Recipe tastes good and your fermentation is good too.

uploadfromtaptalk1391682729316.jpg

Far *******- red IPA

Appearance: Poured very dark, except for amber-red around the highlights, could have been a dark beer. Had to coax a head out of it with a long pour, but this hung around once I did.

Aroma: hoppy, notes of citrus, pine. Decent malt aroma too, sweet, caramel. All IPA!

Taste: hop flavour is dank and resiny, a strong, smooth bitterness - doesn't have the in-your-pace hop climax that lots of IPAs seem to have (not a bad thing IMO). Good strong malt profile, notes of caramel and toffee. Fairly sweet, though not unbalanced. I wonder how some rye would go in the grist? Special mention for the beer being 8.5% ABV, with no real alcohol warmth to speak of.

Mouthfeel - this is a pretty big beer and it's built accordingly. It's well textured - a slight slickness in the mouth, but not what I would describe as chewy. Carbonation is low - medium, but I'm aware that FB filled from keg, so it may have lost some fizz. Certainly a long way off undercarbed though.

Overall: Very enjoyable, hides it's 8.5% well (though I bet it'll catch up with me!). No faults I could detect. FB mentioned that this is a beer he's still not entirely happy with - well, I would be, but I with a bit of X factor, I'd be bloody ecstatic. Thanks again Piers, you're a gentleman.

Josh - smoked red

Appearance: pours dark red with an off white head. A nice ruby colour when held up to the light. Healthy head receded to a 5mm blanket.

Aroma: has that fresh/tart stout-like aroma with a distinct smokiness.

Taste: tart at the front of the beer, fruity, citrusy. Medium bitterness - big smokey finish - not overpowering, but prominent. Very clean tasting beer, no off flavours or obvious faults

Mouthfeel: spritzy, med-high carb, reasonably dry finish

Overall: while the sample is small, this is the best smoked beer I've encountered. I would not have anticipated the citrus notes working so well with the smokiness. Very nice Josh!

Schoey- mild:

Appearance: pours a golden amber, slightly opaque, not cloudy. Nice pillowy white head, recedes but retains a good layer.

Aroma: tart yeasty aroma with notes of bread and honey

Taste: nice and fresh citrus/fruity up front, with some really nice honey notes in the tail. A really zingy flavour with plenty happening in a fairly straightforward style. Medium hop bitterness that lingers . Bready notes, not as prominent as in the aroma, but definitely present. Clean tasting beer, no off flavours that I could detect.

Mouthfeel; light body with a dry finish. Medium to high carbonation. Could sit and drink this all day.

Overall: great little beer, flavourful, light in body and alcohol. Does what it says it will on the packet!

Kudzu B-Saaz & Cascade IPA

Appearance: pours a golden/straw colour, opaque but not cloudy. A thick white head that receded to about 10mm and lingers.

Aroma: citrusy hops, grapefruit. Faint ly sweet.

Taste: hoppy, moderate bitterness. Lots of citrus as per aroma. A malty, sweet presence. I think also some DMS ( I can pick this out now, thanks to Josh detecting it in my DSGA) a hint of cooked corn - doesn't overpower the beer though.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a relatively sweet finish. Nice spritzy level of carbonation gives the illusion of dryness.

Overall: solid beer, perhaps needs to be more bitter for the style, but it drinks well, especially on a Barmy brew night!

Back