Christmas Lotto 2013

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you liked it Grainer, it was my first extract brew. Again you are right about the hops, cascade and chinook though you might be surprised to know that there is just a little EKG in there too :ph34r:

It's my mid-strength clone of the LCPA, I think you mistaken called it my 'Lil' Cheaper Pacific Ale' when it's actually a Pale Ale. No biggie tho and thanks for the feedback again.

Stakka - English IPA

Appearance. Orange to light Amber, hazy. Creamy tan head. Medium carb.

Aroma. Slight mandarin type citrus.

Taste. Melanoidin rich maltiness. Stronger hop flavour than in the aroma. Some nice fruity esters. Good firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel. Creamy medium full.

Overall. A nice beer. The bottle is very yeasty which takes away a little from the 'experience' but doesn't affect flavour too much. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1389859132499.jpg

Prince Imperial DSGA

Appearance. Deep golden, slight haze. Thick off white head. Medium high carb.

Aroma. Lychee, citrus from hops. Slight corn, not overpowering.

Taste. Just a bit of sweet bready malt. Citrussy hops and a firm but balanced bitterness. Once again a hint of DMS in the finish.

Mouthfeel. Good. Carbonation is good, not hot or astringent.

Overall. Summer thirst quencher. A good example of a beer I've never brewed, but tasted a few versions of. Just a slight bit of DMS but overall pretty good.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1389859212866.jpg

Josh said:
Prince Imperial DSGAAppearance. Deep golden, slight haze. Thick off white head. Medium high carb. Aroma. Lychee, citrus from hops. Slight corn, not overpowering. Taste. Just a bit of sweet bready malt. Citrussy hops and a firm but balanced bitterness. Once again a hint of DMS in the finish. Mouthfeel. Good. Carbonation is good, not hot or astringent. Overall. Summer thirst quencher. A good example of a beer I've never brewed, but tasted a few versions of. Just a slight bit of DMS but overall pretty good. Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Cheers Josh, glad you enjoyed. I have to admit, I can't pick DMS, so I didn't realise it was present. I'll go for a more vigorous boil next time, esp. Seeing as I used a pilsner malt.

Yob: Killer Ale

Now Im on a brain Fart today....so forgive me.. Its my Birthday..and Im quite a few drinks in

So as expected it poured well with a nice creamy head with a hint of colour. Head retention was average and clarity down. Not sure what style you were going for Yob but this reminds me of a mild IPA. I think I prefer this LOL.. Hops are not overwhelming WTF... This is YOBs beer.. where's THE HOPS !!!.. bitterness seems just right for the flavor profile.. now you got me have to think real hard now.. Aroma is well balanced. and seems like you have used Columbus/simcoe????? not quite sure... Still experiencing all the varieties.. that's why my freezer is full of HOPS !! Spicy beer rather than sweet, with pepper and pine .... Right now I'm thinking I hope Im getting this OK cause I am drinking a few more tonight that I will have to review...

Anyway.. I enjoyed this after a hard day at work ..and just spending an hour cleaning my brewery and sterilizing everything for a big brew day tomorrow.. .. Took 2 days off for brewing. !!

Pic to follow later..

Prince, have just dropped off 3 stubbies of Ferg's Oatmeal Stout (G&G Fresh Wort Kit)... Sorry about the delay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh said:
Going Down A Hill - English Bitter SMaSH GP SG Ringwood. Appearance - clear and golden, lightly carbed. Small white head. Aroma - Bready malt and light fruity esters. Taste - Malt is tending sweeter with a honey flavour. Nice fermentation flavours. Bitterness present but not overpowering. Mouthfeel - just a bit of astringency but generally fine. Overall - I like that there's not a bunch of crystal getting in the way of the base malt and yeast. A fine beer, thanks for sharing. Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you liked it!

Thanks for the feedback josh, great notes.

Probably not the best weather for it right now, and I was a bit frustrated with persistent suspended yeast but apart from that I was pretty happy with it for a first go at an English IPA. Some of the haze is probably from the amount of hops used, smashed almost a pound of EKG into the 50l batch.

Barl: Oude Fawn

Had no idea what this was when I opened it..

Appearance: Poured smoothly without a head. Brown caramel colour and crystal clear.

Now.. I didn't expect this.. I'm guessing you brewed this for christmas, so a christmas spice beer.. I wasn't expecting the taste and threw me for a sec LOL.. Well not sure how well I can critique this as I have never tried this kind of beer before.

The spice is quite strong on the nose

I get the taste of malt followed by a strong taste of the Spices of christmas with strong star anise/all spice ??...

This beer defiantly reflects what I think of when you say ouse fawn.. It has tastes of the old forest... Although a very pleasant beer ..I feel it is a one glass beer only for myself as the spices are quite strong. Although I am not a fan of it.. I can appreciate the effort put into this beer.

Thanks.. Was good to try something very different...

Grainer said:
Barl: Oude Fawn

Had no idea what this was when I opened it..

Appearance: Poured smoothly without a head. Brown caramel colour and crystal clear.

Now.. I didn't expect this.. I'm guessing you brewed this for christmas, so a christmas spice beer.. I wasn't expecting the taste and threw me for a sec LOL.. Well not sure how well I can critique this as I have never tried this kind of beer before.

The spice is quite strong on the nose

I get the taste of malt followed by a strong taste of the Spices of christmas with strong star anise/all spice ??...

This beer defiantly reflects what I think of when you say ouse fawn.. It has tastes of the old forest... Although a very pleasant beer ..I feel it is a one glass beer only for myself as the spices are quite strong. Although I am not a fan of it.. I can appreciate the effort put into this beer.

Thanks.. Was good to try something very different...
it's actually my house sour which is quite regularly on tap.
Not a single spice added that's all yeast mate. It can be quite a polarising category though
Normally they call them an Oude Bruin which is a sour brown but I didn't quite get the colour right so it be came a fawn.

3GumsBrewing - Dark Mild

Appearance. Bright dark copper to brown. Thin tan head. Low carb.

Aroma. Toffee. Slight fruity esters.

Taste. Rich bready malt. Nice medium fruity esters. Low toasty flavour. Low to medium bitterness. Finishes fairly dry which is good. I hate those cloying English beers.

Mouthfeel. Smooth. Low medium body. Not astringent.

Overall. A really enjoyable Mild Ale. I could easily sit in the pub for hours and have a session on this stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Josh said:
3GumsBrewing - Dark Mild

Appearance. Bright dark copper to brown. Thin tan head. Low carb.

Aroma. Toffee. Slight fruity esters.

Taste. Rich bready malt. Nice medium fruity esters. Low toasty flavour. Low to medium bitterness. Finishes fairly dry which is good. I hate those cloying English beers.

Mouthfeel. Smooth. Low medium body. Not astringent.

Overall. A really enjoyable Mild Ale. I could easily sit in the pub for hours and have a session on this stuff. Thanks for sharing.
uploadfromtaptalk1390986564051.jpg

barls said:
it's actually my house sour which is quite regularly on tap.
Not a single spice added that's all yeast mate. It can be quite a polarising category though
Normally they call them an Oude Bruin which is a sour brown but I didn't quite get the colour right so it be came a fawn.
Well thats a surprise.. first time I ever tried one..Think it would take me quite a bit to get used to to have that on tap in the house.

Meathead: Pot kettle Black Porter:

Pours beautifully, with a nice creamy tanned head. Nice coffee caramel flavours that smoothly delight me :) Good bitterness Aroma very light on and overall a very nice porter..

John

CoopsOz - APA

Appearance. Clear light golden. High carb, thick white head.

Aroma. American hops jump out. Really enticing smell.

Taste. Sweet malt balanced with fresh tasting hops. Medium bitterness, finishes slightly sweet.

Mouthfeel. Light body, med-high carb. No astringency.

Overall. Nice hoppy Pale Ale. Keg bottling worked fine Coops. Didn't lose any carb, no oxidation.

uploadfromtaptalk1390996246609.jpg

Grainer said:
Well thats a surprise.. first time I ever tried one..Think it would take me quite a bit to get used to to have that on tap in the house.
its one of those things you ether love it or hate it.

Back