Christmas beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebigtwist

Reaction score
Plan on making this http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/how-to-brew/strong/julebryg for a Xmas gift this year, any suggestions as to what can to use in the recipe as it says pick your own flavor

Happy drinking

thebigtwist said:
the recipe as it says pick your own flavor
Does it? I see tweak the spices as desired. Why not do it as is?

However, if I were to modify I'd drop the star anise as I hate the stuff. Maybe a clove or two in its place?

damoninja said:
Does it? I see tweak the spices as desired. Why not do it as is?
The recipe does not specify which kit to use.

I've thought about doing this recipe, never got around to it yet... maybe for Christmas next year. I've looked around to try and find which kit other people have made it with, but without much success. I reckon if/when I make it I'll use the Real Ale kit, as I imagine it is not too strong in flavour to overpower the added spices, but will also give it a bit more colour when coupled with the amber malt which I would prefer for a Christmas beer. It's probably also a safe choice as it's reasonably mid-range of the Coopers kits in terms of colour and bitterness. These are however just my thoughts, so don't trust my pure speculation ;)

Braumoasta said:
The recipe does not specify which kit to use.

I've thought about doing this recipe, never got around to it yet... maybe for Christmas next year. I've looked around to try and find which kit other people have made it with, but without much success. I reckon if/when I make it I'll use the Real Ale kit, as I imagine it is not too strong in flavour to overpower the added spices, but will also give it a bit more colour when coupled with the amber malt which I would prefer for a Christmas beer. It's probably also a safe choice as it's reasonably mid-range of the Coopers kits in terms of colour and bitterness. These are however just my thoughts, so don't trust my pure speculation ;)
Oh derp.

Well, if it were a winter Christmas, I'd say go with the stout as it's already got a little bit of spice to it........

But since it's not... I reckon the pale ale would be good with it's slighty fruity flavour.

Real ale if you want less impact on the spices.

I'd even up the spice a fraction and add a few grams of galaxy :D but that's me.

Wheat could be good to let the spices shine through

a brown ale kit perhaps? bit of nutty goodness? its pretty full on flavour though so may outshine the spices to a degree.

Latest posts

Back