Chinese Hops - What Will You Be Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkBastard

Reaction score
Saaz, Cascade, Cluster, Marco Polo, Nugget.

So what sort of styles are you planning to make? Also if anyone has any info on each hop and what styles / recipes they'll be suitable for, that'd be handy.

My plan so far is a Cream Ale SMASH (with a little leniency on the malt bill) with Marco Polo (if the buy for it gets off the ground).

I'm calling it: "Marco? POLO!"

The plan is a small 60 min addition (marco) with a BIG late addition (POLO!) I really want to know what their aroma properties are like. Atleast if its crap i can flog it to the boys when they come around with minimal loss or just let it age to kill some aroma. hehehe!

40IBU
3-5 SRM
85% JW Pilsner
5% Carapils
10% polenta

10IBU Marco Polo (60min)
30IBU Marco Polo (15min)
50g Whirlpool additon (cube addition @ 70deg)

That should put a dent in around 80 grams of the stuff! :lol:

Also if anyone has any info on each hop and what styles / recipes they'll be suitable for, that'd be handy.

Perhaps it would have been handy to know this before even considering purchase? irrespective of country of origin, and irrespective of if it's wholesale/retail/or bulk buy. Irrespective of any pros or cons relating to price, hygiene, quality, or any of the other countless arguments and counter-arguments, both for and against......

The pertinent questions are, what are the specs of the hops, and, what can it be used to brew?....something that appears to have been missed.

Just a thought from a 'Pommy *******' (which, according to some, is a racial remark, not racist. Apparantly theres a difference......call me a 'Pommy *******' late at night in a dark alley, and let's just see if there is a difference :rolleyes: ) who's kept out of the whole mess untill this point in time......

Perhaps it would have been handy to know this before even considering purchase? irrespective of country of origin, and irrespective of if it's wholesale/retail/or bulk buy. Irrespective of any pros or cons relating to price, hygiene, quality, or any of the other countless arguments and counter-arguments, both for and against......

Good point butters but in whole honesty, to get a kilo of the unknown for a similar price of 100g of European, US, New Zealand or Local hops is a rather safe bet for me. (i know it is not the case for others.)

Most batches, I usually knock off 70-100g of hops in a beer anyway, so to write it off as a loss equal (or close to) a 100g purchase, isnt all that much of an issue for my hip pocket. (we're currently talking 28 clams + postage for 2KG of hops, im not about to mortgage my tricycle. :D )

In any case, I highly doubt the beers produced with these hops will be completly and utterly undrinkable (if that was the case, i'd say the most of us with hop gardens in our yard would have similiar results whcih is indeed incorrect).

My plan is to keep the malt bills simple (to help the hops shine) and to treat them like most 'new world' hops in being evergreen or citrus like. Which is quite complementry to my brewing style anyway. This may not be if you're brewing style does not venture outside the British Isles which is understandable.

Suffice to say i bet the guys buying up will be biting at the bit to try these suckers out and we will see some tasting notes and killer recipes within a few weeks of them landing on our doorsteps. Thus building ideas for recipe formation and beer style 'coining'.

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

I'd be happy to send you 100g of each for one of your finest bitters/butters!! :p

EDIT:
The pertinent questions are, what are the specs of the hops, and, what can it be used to brew?....something that appears to have been missed.

Sorry Butters, missed this bit. Specs have been posted in the relevant threads but the aroma/palate properties are unknown at this stage.

My plan so far is a Cream Ale SMASH (with a little leniency on the malt bill) with Marco Polo (if the buy for it gets off the ground).

I'm calling it: "Marco? POLO!"

The plan is a small 60 min addition (marco) with a BIG late addition (POLO!) I really want to know what their aroma properties are like. Atleast if its crap i can flog it to the boys when they come around with minimal loss or just let it age to kill some aroma. hehehe!

40IBU
3-5 SRM
85% JW Pilsner
5% Carapils
10% polenta

10IBU Marco Polo (60min)
30IBU Marco Polo (15min)
50g Whirlpool additon (cube addition @ 70deg)

That should put a dent in around 80 grams of the stuff! :lol:

Only 80gms?? Pussy :p

Agree Butters but no one knows what these are like so I guess we are in the same boat. Besides if they are lacking in flavour and aroma they will still make a cheap bittering hop.

I reckon I am just going to do my usual Summer Ale/Smash-ish style of ale with US05 so it's all clean and clear what these hops are and what they can potentially do.

Something like:

8kg Galaxy Pale Malt or BB
1kg Wheat Pale
0.3kg Carared

Mash at 64C to keep it dry and pop to the hops a little more (double batch obviously)

Hop Schedule something like this depends on AA%'s and smell
20-30 gm#1 (60 min)20-30 gm#1 (30 min)10-15 gm#1 (20 min) 20.00 gm#1 (5 min)
Chap Chap

I reckon I am just going to do my usual Summer Ale/Smash-ish style of ale with US05 so it's all clean and clear what these hops are and what they can potentially do.

Something like:

8kg Galaxy Pale Malt or BB
1kg Wheat Pale
0.3kg Carared

Mash at 64C to keep it dry and pop to the hops a little more (double batch obviously)

Hop Schedule something like this depends on AA%'s and smell
20-30 gm#1 (60 min)20-30 gm#1 (30 min)10-15 gm#1 (20 min) 20.00 gm#1 (5 min)
Chap Chap

I'll be doing a cRAPa - chinese-hopped Rye American Pale ale...

Only 80gms?? Pussy :p

@ 14% AA i'd struggle for any more! Ok, I lied! I just chalked it up... 95 grams B)

Marco? POLO!
Classic American Pilsner
Type: All Grain
Date: 5/10/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 81.8 %
0.50 kg Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
0.50 kg Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
5.00 gm Marco Polo [14.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.6 IBU
40.00 gm Marco Polo [14.00%] (15 min) Hops 31.2 IBU
50.00 gm Marco Polo [14.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 39.8 IBU
Est Color: 3.4 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 14.34 L of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 9.18 L of water at 94.4 C 75.6 C 10 min

Notes
Ferment LOWWWWW with 1272! (unless you end up using a lager yeast from a repitch)

I'll be doing a cRAPa - chinese-hopped Rye American Pale ale...

Trust you to be doing a rye maple

Im going to try and do a perfect pilsner with the saaz

and hop the crap out of APA with Cascade for the next year. Until my Mt Hood produce and then it is gonna be a ryePA in your honour :D

Kleiny

@ 14% AA i'd struggle for any more! Ok, I lied! I just chalked it up... 95 grams B)

Marco? POLO!
Classic American Pilsner
Type: All Grain
Date: 5/10/2009
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 30.90 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 81.8 %
0.50 kg Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
0.50 kg Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
5.00 gm Marco Polo [14.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.6 IBU
40.00 gm Marco Polo [14.00%] (15 min) Hops 31.2 IBU
50.00 gm Marco Polo [14.00%] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 39.8 IBU
Est Color: 3.4 SRM

Mash Profile
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 14.34 L of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C 75 min
Mash Out Add 9.18 L of water at 94.4 C 75.6 C 10 min

Notes
Ferment LOWWWWW with 1272! (unless you end up using a lager yeast from a repitch)

:icon_drool2:

Well... Hopefully... lol, one things for sure youll definately know what marco polo tastes and smells like!

I still like the thought of an Imperial CAP using resiniously large amounts of Marco Polo Bittering and wasteful amounts of © saaz. :icon_cheers:

2.9 SRM are you kidding? I saw that CAP a while you did. Don't you like colour? Or are you just racist? :ph34r:

He is definitely not racist going off the Dunkle Hazlenut Brown from the other day.... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

If I had 1 kilo of a hop at that price, I would be doing some mega mash hop additions...

Back