Chinese Hops - What Will You Be Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, does anyone know what one kilo of hops looks like?

...good luck!!
kilo_hops.jpg

I've ordered Cluster and Saaz and will be looking to do something like a Plide of Lingwood Aussie Raagger.

Edit: not sure whether to use US-O-fye or Swiss Lager One-ay-nye

Will it go with Flied Lice?

Sorry couldn't help myself... Carry on...

Guys - please don't feed the troll.

Thread is now cleaned up, but please keep it on topic.

40 seconds....a new record. :rolleyes:

just to keep it on topic, do a smash.

Tell you what though if the hops are good I'm gunna be doing some MASSIVE hop monsters :icon_drunk:

With a kilo of Cluster I'm going to be cranking out glorious XXXX clone after glorious XXXX clone. By this time next year I will definitely be living in a park at Darlinghurst :icon_chickcheers: :icon_chickcheers:

With a kilo of Cluster I'm going to be cranking out glorious XXXX clone after glorious XXXX clone. By this time next year I will definitely be living in a park at Darlinghurst :icon_chickcheers: :icon_chickcheers:

In 2 litre plastic bottles.

With a kilo of Cluster I'm going to be cranking out glorious XXXX clone after glorious XXXX clone.
I grabbed a kilo too and this is all I can think of actually making haha. Might try to clone the XXX

I grabbed a kilo too and this is all I can think of actually making haha. Might try to clone the XXX

Funny you should mention that, a drinking buddy is still raving over XXX limited edition and has asked if I could brew a batch of something similar. I didn't mind it myself (a definite example of how Lion can make a reasonable brew if they pull their digits out, as opposed to the woeful summer bright lager). What would be a recipe for XXX I wonder?

kram only reason I didn't get Marco Polo was I didn't know anything about it.

I'll be up for a KG if it comes down to it. 50/50 decision. If they're short send me a note.

kram, wanna go halves in a marco polo?

1kg would just be way too much for me i reckon

This is absolutely backwards thinking. As if anyone has ever been involved with this hobby/craft without ever once using an imported ingredient. Ridiculous.
:icon_offtopic:
HOLY SMOKES! we all better turn off and burn our computers QUICK! As i can guarantee not one single piece of it came from Australia! While we are at it, burn the server for this board as its likely to be from HP or Sun! Dont want those yanks turning our beer forum into a starbucks!

Did you get Marco Polo? Can you add to your order? If you can, help fourstar out and get Marco Polo. At 14% AA you will need **** all to get your main bittering for the beer out of it and just use the others for flavor/aroma. ...just hope it's a clean bittering hop. I didn't get any as I've got a lot of southern cross which I use 15gms or so to get a bittering hit

Marco Polo... Do it!

You could call is a Marco Solo ??
QldKev
I was trying to go with the old swimming pool game, either waiy, i can't get chewbaca out of my head now!

Provided all goes well I think I'll be trying this test batch to gauge the saaz profile, before going all out with an 9.5% 100 IBU Imperial Lager.
Lasingan D'Hogshead could be a dangerous place this summer B) .

Chu Dat Hopf Phat
Strong Lager

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 22.89 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 86.67 %
0.50 kg Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
20.00 gm Saaz (aroma) [3.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
70.00 gm Marco Polo [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 65.4 IBU
30.00 gm Saaz (aroma) [3.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
30.00 gm Saaz (aroma) [3.00 %] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
30.00 gm Saaz (aroma) [3.00 %] (5 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.087 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.52 %
Bitterness: 76.3 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 4.2 SRM

:icon_offtopic:
HOLY SMOKES!
Marco Polo... Do it!

Wouldn't it be the greatest laugh if Marco Polo ended up being a fantastic hop and maybe the best of the batch! So much for staying safe and buying only recognisable names even though we know same hops grown in different regions can vary in final product. :p

Thats why i'm in for a kilo of every hop. Only way to find out is to pull the balls out and try everything on offer.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Back