Chinese Hops - What Will You Be Brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
before going all out with an 9.5% 100 IBU Imperial Lager.

Just been reading Extreme Brewing by Sam Calagione. Very interested in an Imperial Pilsner... let us know how she goes!

Wouldn't it be the greatest laugh if Marco Polo ended up being a fantastic hop and maybe the best of the batch!

Well our purchases are now locked in! lets she how she goes!

Perhaps it would have been handy to know this before even considering purchase? irrespective of country of origin, and irrespective of if it's wholesale/retail/or bulk buy. Irrespective of any pros or cons relating to price, hygiene, quality, or any of the other countless arguments and counter-arguments, both for and against......

The pertinent questions are, what are the specs of the hops, and, what can it be used to brew?....something that appears to have been missed.

Just a thought from a 'Pommy *******' (which, according to some, is a racial remark, not racist. Apparantly theres a difference......call me a 'Pommy *******' late at night in a dark alley, and let's just see if there is a difference :rolleyes: ) who's kept out of the whole mess untill this point in time......

Yes you're right - it would be good to know the hop specs and what to brew before buying.

Even knowing the specs or assuming the known names are relatively similar to other growing countries, ie. czech or NZ and maybe chinese saaz would be suited to pilsners, as nobody really knows, you could always don the white lab coat and just check out the results if you're so inclined (as I am).

I've no idea about Marco Polo other than it's high bitterness - lets try a small batch in a previously made ale .. no good? ok how about a lager? still no good - oh well, use as an initial bittering hop in brews for the megaswill drinking mates.

as for racial v racist - my understanding is there is a difference.
There are only 3 races in the world Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid so if you're a racist you hate all Black, White or Yellow folks.
(with some exceptions - ie, back when I was in uni australian aboriginals were listed as caucasoid - that was a long time ago
though - things change)

The common thinkiing on racial statements though is on a country by country basis - ie. I hate those bloody whinging poms.
And yes butters I am also one of those :)

All statements guaranteed as reliable as Wikepedia... maybe even more so.

Planning on re-reading all the recipes with ridiculously high IBU's in 'Radical Brewing' and 'Brewing Classic Styles', and matching these hops to them.

Have read so much about big IBU beers, but rarely give them a go due to cost of hops, and fear that a small mistake will lead to undrinkable beer that cost a fortune.
Got a kg of Saaz, Marco Polo, and Cascade coming, so very excited to see how they pan out.

The list currently includes:

RIS
IPA
2IPA
Barleywine

Will probably try do 2 more RIS's to store away, along with 2 Barleywines, and in between, the IPA's.
Currently have a massive stockpile of belgiums pales, so when they run out I will be ready for some hops :icon_cheers:

Marlow

I'll be doing a 1 hop, 1 grain to give them a run. Im beside myself with excitement.

Comon' Steve, lets have an IBU-off!!! :)

You push 120, and I'll push 160, you up me to 200 IBUs :)

at these prices, you can do it :p

My Radical Brewing book ($13.57 by the way) is due in 3 weeks, so I'll have to wait to see some crazy high IBU ideas in it.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Back to the original topic, I'll be trying the Chinese Saaz in my house pilsner

Batch size 23l preboil 30l
4.8 Kg Weyermann Pilsner - or subst recent VIC bulk buy Pilsner malt
200g Munich I
60g Saaz 60min
60g Saaz 30min
40g Saaz 15min
60g Czech Saaz plug - in secondary

obviously amounts of hop will be modified based on actual IBU of chinese Saaz

The others ... dunno yet - will wait for specs