Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too have often sampled Tsingtao beer - definately made with chinese grown hops (Have many chinese freinds) same here - still only 1 head.

I've had Tsing Tao many a times too. Still have 1 head here as well.

I've also had Belgian Lambics that smell like horse and taste infected. They actually used old/bad/cheesy hops in it!!! - Still have 1 stomach

Tried an Imperial american IPA as well - Still have 1 tounge

While you're at it, check the us, german, czech, english, uk and aus hops for heavy metals, pesticides and toxic nasties as well.......since we're all being cautious and all.

I remember seeing a report, I think in 2007 saying average lead levels in UK hops were above suggested WHO safe levels.
and a few more years ago german winemakers got in big trouble for adding glycol to their wines to improve mouthfeel.

Quality/purity issues abound worldwide.

Have you checked your local water supply for heavy metals/toxins?

I've also had Belgian Lambics that smell like horse and taste infected. They actually used old/bad/cheesy hops in it!!! - Still have 1 stomach

My understanding is that lambics deliberately use aged hops.

I may have missed a deliberate subtlety in your post in which case I apologise for being slow.

QldKev 1kg MARCO POLO, 1kg CLUSTER, 1kg SAAZ, 2kg CASCADE, (1kg NUGGET), QLD
KillerRx4 - 1kg MARCO POLO, 1kg SAAZ, 1kg CASCADE. Penrith, NSW
Brads brew -1kg MARCO POLO, 1kg CLUSTER, 1kg SAAZ, 1KG CASCADE, QLD
AndrewQLD - 1kg Cluster 1 kg Marco Polo, QLD
Leigh -1kg CASCADE, 1kg CLUSTER, 1kg SAAZ VIC, Melbourne
Ross 5kg each of all 4, QLD (includes Cascade)
Beer&Kebab 1kg of Marco, Saaz and Cascade - NSW
dth - 3kg Saaz, 2kg Cascade - Emerald, QLD
ham2k - 2kg Saaz, 1kg Cascade - Sydney, NSW
Chappo - 5kg each of all 3, QLD
BribieG - 1kg Cluster, 1kg Saaz, QLD
etbandit - 1kg Saaz, 1kg Marco Polo, 1Kg Cascade - Melb VIC
Winkle - 1 kg MP. 1 kg Saaz, 1kg Cascade QLD
Batz- 1Kg each of Saaz, Cluster, Marko Polo, Cascade, Nugget. QLD
crozdog - 1kg MARCO POLO, 1kg CLUSTER, 1kg SAAZ, 1kg CASCADE, 1kg NUGGET, Sydney NSW
Gruntus - 2kg Saaz, 1kg Marco Polo - Sydney NSW
L_Bomb - 1kg Saaz, 1kg CASCADE, WA Perth
Altstart 3kg of each QLD Brisbane
ratchie 1kg of each QLD Nambour
rosswill 1 kg of each + 2kg Cascade
OzMick 1 kg each of Saaz, Cluster, Marco Polo, Cascade, Nugget. QLD
Voota 2kg of all three - melbourne
peas_and_corn 1kg of each
jimmyjack 1 kg of each including Cascade and Nugget
BusinessTime 1kg Saaz, 1kg Cluster. 1kg Cascade, 1kg Marco Polo - Sydney NSW
christmasbender 1kg each please - melbourne
Phonos 1kg Saaz, 1kg Marco Polo, 1kg Cascade Sydney NSW
Pollux 1kg of each.
Marlow_coates 1kg of Marco Polo, 1kg of Saaz, 1kg of Cascade - QLD, Brisbane
Jimi 1kg of Marco Polo, 1kg of Saaz, 1kg of Cascade - VIC, Colac
Leiothrix 1kg of marco polo, cascade, saaz and cluster - NSW, Wollongong
Maple 1kg Saaz, 1kg Cluster. 1kg Cascade - VIC, Melbourne
JonnyAnchovy 1kg saaz, 1kg Cascade - Sydney NSW
boddingtons best 1Kg Marco Polo 1kg Cascade 1Kg Cluster 1Kg Saaz - Melb VIC
Duff 1kg Marco Polo 1kg Saaz, QLD
Citymorgue2 1kg of Saaz, Marco Polo, Cluster - Melbourne, Vic
Darkman 1kg of all varieties + 1kg of Cascade, Melbourne
NickB 1kg Saaz, 1kg Marco Polo, 1kg Cluster, 1kg Cascade, QLD
Steve 1kg of each, plus 1kg Cascade - ACT, Canberra
Katie 1kg of each - WA Perth
raven19 1kg of each, plus 1kg cascade. Adelaide, SA
marksfish. 1kg of each
Ilike beer 1kg of cluster, cascade, saaz, nugget - - Vic, Portland
Brewer Pete 1kg MARCO POLO, 1kg CLUSTER, 1kg SAAZ, 1kg CASCADE, 1kg NUGGET - ACT, Canberra
Troopa 5Kg Saaz, 1Kg Marco Polo - NSW, Hunter valley
Doogiechap 1Kg Nugget, 1Kg of Marco Polo, 1 Kg of Saaz, 2Kg of Cascade - WA Perth
sinkas 1kg Saaz, 1kg Cascade, 1kg Cluster, 1kg Marco Polo, 1kg Nugget - WA Perth
Redbeard 2kg Saaz Sydney NSW
Stillscottish 1kg Saaz, 1kg Cluster, QLD
kram 1kg of each QLD
beerhog 1kg saaz 2kg cascade vic melbourne
hairofthedog 1kg of each plus 3kg cascade melbourne
regulator 1kg of each sydney
cozmocracker 2kg Cascade, 1kg Saaz, 1kg Cluster, Canberra
DiscoStu 1kg Cluster, 1Kg Saaz, Sydney NSW
dj1984 1 kg of each Adelaide
tomtoro 2kg Saaz, 2kg Cascade, 1kg Cluster, 1kg Marco Polo, 1kg Nugget, Brisbane QLD
Hogan 2kg Saaz, 1 kg Cluster, 1 kg Marco Polo. Sydney, NSW.
Wrenny 1kg Cascade, 1kg Saaz, Brisbane Qld

Added some cascade for myself

MP 58kg
Saaz 83Kg
Cluster 55Kg
Cascade 51KG
Nugget 10kg

Added my location details
Cheers Altstart

Thanks for the heads up Mossy.(although it has disappeared some information should be left for all to read IMO) Think I've found No.1 of pricks to not have a beer with.
BTW ya IPA and bitter were tops at BABBS mate.

Brad

My 2c

If the chinese grow and sell hops then that's their business, it's up to the end consumer (in this case brewers/breweries) to decide if they want to use them.

It makes no difference whether we buy 1/2 ton of pellets to the overall health of the global beer market IMO and i reckon the only thing people have to fear about the "Loss of Aussie jobs" is that the mega breweries start sourcing the majority of their hops from there - with the prices who can blame them, especially when all the megas really want is alpha acid. Sure it's only 1c a glass or whatever but that adds up to a mega. I don't agree or disagree with that view, it's just the truth.

I'm not going to buy any because i don't need them, got more than enough in the freezer and no need to brew massive amounts of beer. That said i'd rather buy Czech Saaz, American Amarillo, German Hallertau etc, not because i'm being racist but because i reckon there is a reason the regions that created the strains still grow and sell them - they are best from that region. If I did need cheap hops sure i'd buy them but my days of brewing just to save a buck are well over nowadays. I get to make beer at home that tastes damn good at a fraction of the cost of the shop. Even if the fraction was 3/4 it's still good.

My name has popped up on the list and i removed it a while ago??

I'm out.

crozdog - 1kg MARCO POLO, 1kg CLUSTER, 1kg SAAZ, 1kg CASCADE, 1kg NUGGET, Sydney NSW
Pollux 1kg of each.
marksfish. 1kg of each
Brewer Pete 1kg MARCO POLO, 1kg CLUSTER, 1kg SAAZ, 1kg CASCADE, 1kg NUGGET - ACT, Canberra
Doogiechap 1Kg Nugget, 1Kg of Marco Polo, 1 Kg of Saaz, 2Kg of Cascade - WA Perth
sinkas 1kg Saaz, 1kg Cascade, 1kg Cluster, 1kg Marco Polo, 1kg Nugget - WA Perth
kram 1kg of each QLD
tomtoro 2kg Saaz, 2kg Cascade, 1kg Cluster, 1kg Marco Polo, 1kg Nugget, Brisbane QLD

MP 57kg
Saaz 82Kg
Cluster 55Kg
Cascade 51KG
Nugget 10kg

UPDATE

Things are being fined tuned and all is going extremely well.

THE LIST - All forget about it, and the amounts. As of the last post here above this thats the list I will use. This was a guide and I am satisfied we can more than fill a significant order. Please dont bother anymore. I am expecting now well over 300kg of hops.

What will happen procedure wish is a number of things.

1. The names only (GOT IT NAMES ONLY) will be put up on the BULK BUY page, with a number. This is all the information that will go up on that page. Its no-bodies business what you order, or how much. Thats the only infor about ordering that will show.

2. For your info and as a check, I will also put against the name when your invited to contact me about your order, when I receive contact from you, and when you pay. THIS IS YOUR CHECK that your not lost in the system.

3. Those who want to remain hidden will also be invited to contact me and given will be given a code on the list, like xxxxx so they can check.

4. New applicants will be invited to join at the end of the cue, and will be added to the list. As work load demands, I'll then invite those new people to contact me about ordering.

Back to organising this buy

Graham Sanders
Skype "craftbrewer"
craftbrewerat beagledot comdot au
http://radio.craftbrewer.org

One other thing, are you sure you need an import licence for hop pellets, i imported about 20kg from the US a couple of years back and besides AQIS opening the package and slipping in some propaganda into the box about what can & can't be shipped all was cool. Mind you that was just via post.

LC and a few other importers have import licences etc but they are bringing in whole hops not pellets which doesn't need them. Just thought it a bit weird that you need it unless of course the hops aren't pellets but T-90 would indicate that they are..

I think maybe the commercial quantity might attract the need for a AQIS inspection, but I dont know,
ALso has anyone thought about duty, is there duty on hops, i'd assume so, coudl be up to 45%

I haven't chirped up yet on the wider pros and cons but it struck me the other day that the second biggest brewery in NSW is well under way at Tuggerah. Now unless massive acreage of hops are being planted in Tasmania to prepare for the massive brewing schedule I wonder where they are going to source their hops from, and I betcha anything you like it won't be from the Hallertau.

In the present purchase we are simply little mice clinging to the coat tails of a seismic shift in world trade and supply (hey that sounds a bit Chinese-ish!) and once the Chinese become more used to the idea of sending masses of hops to Oz I'm sure they will be exploring other avenues such as micros, if not doing so already, and I would guess that Chinese hops are a thing that we are going to see more and more of.

The bigger picture is better for Australia, as I believe the Tuggerah brewery is mostly for export to the region.

Old regime:
Joe farmer grows barley and sends it to Joe White. The container ship containing low value raw ingredient disappears over the horizon and a few months back reappears with Kirin and TsingTao on board produced by overseas workers

New regime:
Joe farmer grows barley and sends it to Joe White who trucks it to Tuggerah. A container ship arrives with hops. A few weeks later a container ship disappears over the horizon with a load of high value product made with Australian Labour.

If that's the way things have to be in a globalised economy then that's fine by me.

I haven't chirped up yet on the wider pros and cons but it struck me the other day that the second biggest brewery in NSW is well under way at Tuggerah. Now unless massive acreage of hops are being planted in Tasmania to prepare for the massive brewing schedule I wonder where they are going to source their hops from,

I have been doing a little investigation by the way. Chinese hops have been coming into Sydney and Melbourne in decent quanities. As you say, with the volumn of beer being made, and the hops available in Aus, the big boys are importing. My drum is Carlton and Lion nathan are using them to top up local supplies.

So good chance we have already been drinking beer with chinese hops.

Mind you, they are just wafting a chinese hop cone over the boiling wort, NOT a aussie one.

Craftbrewer

One other thing, are you sure you need an import licence for hop pellets, i imported about 20kg from the US a couple of years back and besides AQIS opening the package and slipping in some propaganda into the box about what can & can't be shipped all was cool. Mind you that was just via post.

LC and a few other importers have import licences etc but they are bringing in whole hops not pellets which doesn't need them. Just thought it a bit weird that you need it unless of course the hops aren't pellets but T-90 would indicate that they are..

I thiink personally you were lucky to get away with AQIS. More than likely its a bit like the alcohol import duty, they aren't worried about small amounts being imported. The warning letter is more "you know your doing the worng thing, we found the product, he is a reminder what our rules are" Probably because your allowed t-90 hops it was overlooked

Now as I understand it, the hop impoters licenence IS NEEDED, especially for significant quanties, and 300kg is significant. The licence describes where they come from, how they are processed, how they are shipped etc etc etc, all the gory details. Its to satisfy AQIS the hops would pass an inspection and actually dont need to be inspected. So getting the licence ensures a smooth transition thru the wharf.

It doesn't mean AQIS wont do a random inspection, BUT if inspectors are on the wharf, and there are a number of containers, and they see, our one has all the right paperwork, it not high priority, as AQIS has already checked on the product BEFORE it leaves China, and it looks ok.

Oh yes they say they are T-90 pellets, and I certainly hope so, that whats we are describing on the licence form.

Craftbrewer

ALso has anyone thought about duty, is there duty on hops, i'd assume so, coudl be up to 45%

This is why again I am happy for this to start Monday week 5 October 2009. This gives time for everyone to ask questions, to make sure we have covered our bases.

Duty, and whether we have to pay, is one of those "unknowns " I was talking about. The first question is Customs duty, will we have to pay.If we are doing this as a wholesaler, and reselling to retailers, you bet we have to pay. And the full amount too I believe.

However this order will be coming in as a private order, for private use. We may or may not have to pay duty, and if so at a much lower rate, as its non commercial. Equally if no duty, then we have to pay GST anyway. So I have factored in 20% duty as a guess.

Again, it all depends what on our importers licence that affects how customs see it as well. So the licence really comes into play twice it seems.

Craftbrewer

In regards to the importation of hop pellets

Hop pellets are classified to heading 1210.20.00 in the Tariff act, duty rate is 5%

AQIS conditions for highly processed hop pellets state that an import permit is not needed, and they are not subject to mandatory AQIS inspection, they are however subject to random inspection to check that there are no non-commodity packaging concerns (timber, straw, bamboo etc)

The consignment may still be referred to AQIS for documentation checks, this means they may want to see packing declarations, manufacturer declarations, process charts, phytosanitary certificates etc.

The hops may also be subject to imported foods inspection and testing. If the consignment is hit for IFIP then you will need to present them with lot codes / production codes. They may place a hold on the goods whilst they send samples to labs for testing to see if they are safe for human consumption.

If this is your first ever import then customs may flag the cargo for examination as well to ensure that what you declare is being brought in is actually what you say it is.

I would suggest you contact your freight forwarder / customs broker before going ahead with this shipment so that you can get all of this clarified before importation. If the consignment is held up because of documentary problems then you will be liable for any and all storage charges incurred at the freight depot.

Edit:
You will definately want confirmation about the need for an import permit, all I did was search through AQIS ICON database (http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp) . You may wish to contact Plant Programs @ AQIS in Canberra for a written advice of the AQIS conditions for hop pellets.

Definately consult a Customs Broker before you go ahead with the shipment.

You will definately want confirmation about the need for an import permit, You may wish to contact AQIS in Canberra for a written advice of the AQIS conditions for hop pellets.

Definately consult a Customs Broker before you go ahead with the shipment.

This is the problem. People who have imported hops say generally yes you need it, The Broker said we needed it, and my read of the initial AQIS site was I needed it.

BUT a deeper read may say - no we dont.

I worked in Govt for far two long and broke one of my own golden rules. "write to the buggers and ask, and get a written response back."

So have do so.

Mind you, we are only dealing with $125.00, BUT that 50 vents a kilo.

We shall see what the reply is Monday

Craftbrewer

I won't change the list as it says above not to, but can my name now be removed please?

Cheers.

Pollux 1kg of each.
marksfish. 1kg of each
kram 1kg of each QLD
Lokpikn 1kg of each, Nowra NSW near woolongong

MP 57kg
Saaz 82Kg
Cluster 55Kg
Cascade 51KG
Nugget 10kg

OK thats everyone

Lets STOP THERE

REPEAT LETS STOP

OK we have got now definitely that

1. You all are keen
2. There is demand for the new hops.

The order on this list is NOT FINAL. BUT THE PEOPLE ARE.

On Monday you will be invited to e-mail me (I must be mad) with your FINAL ORDER. I will give out bank deposit details, so you have til then to finalise your order. New people will come on board starting Monday.

Clear

Graham

'nuff said?

Pollux 1kg of each.
marksfish. 1kg of each
kram 1kg of each QLD
This list represents the first tranche who will need to confirm their orders by email once this gets underway. After this initial period the "list" will be re-opened - less anyone who hasn't confirmed for others to add their names.

I think everyone just needs to hang tight as this comes together, as you might appreciate, sourcing OS items that will be subject to customs scrutiny (given the organic nature of the items) is no small task. Graham has been pretty forth-coming with info as this progresses, I think we should just bear with him.

Pollux: in saying that, perhaps just send him a PM or email if you need to get off the list now, otherwise, once you don't confirm your order, you would be removed anyway. That's my understanding anyway.

Latest posts

Back