Chinese Hops? What Next

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Graham, you are doing a great job.

[sarcasm on]And I for one can't wait to get my 3-4kg of hops so I can tip 75% straight into the bin as there is no point storing what I know I'll never use[sarcasm off]

Yep another thanks here; for putting up with all the crap so far and pushing ahead.

mmm may have to make something in a style from Carlsberg since they also use these inferior hops... as do many German breweries. sarcasm rocks! ^_^

QldKev

Go to the top of the class mate! I thought QB would be the one to point this out, glad that it was somebody.

My point exactly ;)
Sorry, I was off reading another thread. I saw the colours being listed, and prepared to hit reply, but was beaten to the punch.

The sky looks blue from down here because the blue part of sunlight gets scattered by dust in the atmosphere, while the red part travels in more or less of a straight line. Thus, the sun looks redder than it is, and the sky looks blue. For some reason, people still think that water is blue... the ocean looks blue because it shows a reflection of the sky. A glass of water doesn't look blue, does it?

Is that enough of a distraction to get people back on topic? Maybe someone should start a different thread called 'international business relations' where you can all discuss the ramifications of such dealings, while leaving the bulk-buy part of this thread somewhat on topic.

Heh. Me, of all people, trying to push a thread back on topic.

Not really, I've heard the quallity is poor :ph34r:

Same here.

I'll take 100 of each breed!

[sarcasm on]And I for one can't wait to get my 3-4kg of hops so I can tip 75% straight into the bin as there is no point storing what I know I'll never use[sarcasm off]

hah would still be cheaper

:icon_offtopic:

You're right QB about the sky being blue due to scattered light... but the ocean isn't blue because it reflects the sky. Its blue for almost the same reason as the sky. The red waves are absorbed easily and only the blue light reflects. Same if your deep underwater.... only the blue light can get to a certain depth. But saying all this the ocean will look bluer on a clear day as it also reflects some sky light.

Ok now back on topic! :)

arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

Anyone interested in a bulk buy of kittens from China?

'Pussy only two dolla'

heard that somewhere before.

best of luck guys with the Chinese Hops .

Now did we cover 'Amoebic Dysentery'

Where is Darren when you need him

Pumpy :)

Chinese hops = $10/kg
Others = $80-130/kg

Just curious as to who is it thats making all the money on that markup?

LHBSs ?
Importers ?
Farmers ?

I would guess the importers.

A couple cost factors
Saaz hops are picked anually by the hands of lovely young goddesses.
The chinese ones get pelletized in a machine which spends the off season processing rat bait pellets. ;)

Pumpy, I think ya got it wrong, just don't mention that there is a low risk of botulism with the use of chinese hops especially if you no chill!! :p

Darren will be onto this real quick if you do! :ph34r:

Couldn't resist LOL

good thing for all you sheep lovers out there...from wiki
There are numerous reports from German soldiers of the effectiveness of sheep and camel feces being effective cures for dysentery.
so what hop do you think goes well with sheep poo brew? marco polo? or a nice spicey saaz? (and yes my name is down for the bb...im joking around)

actually one would think that the boiling of the wort would kill any paracites and bacteria.

Firstly the hop industry in Aus is in decline.

Sorry - but the above statement is incorrect.

In 2007/8, when the hop shortage in the US and Northern Hemisphere arrived, most local producers actually saw the opportunity to fill the void and increased their production of hops and plantings. This has grown their production year on year and export capabilities, not decreased it. A boom actually occurred for these guys. I think you will also find that Microbrewers in the US are also extremely interested in hops from here and NZ. Sierra Nevada are one such example and advertise their beers over there as having Southern Hemisphere hops. There is also a huge demand for Organic Hops, and Australia and NZ are on the forefront of this.

Check this article and you'll see this is the case regarding expansion of the industry in 2008:
Australian Article

I think if you check the facts you'll also find that a number of new hop varieties are being developed in Australia and are doing quite well here and in export markets. Such as Galaxy, Summer Saaz, Super Pride, Topaz and other experimental varieties that are coming out of Bushy Park, Tas, and Rostrevor, Vic.

Not really signs of an industry in its death throes.

Hopper.

Amazing....we've done a whole circle...and ended up talking about shit again :lol:

A couple cost factors
Saaz hops are picked anually by the hands of lovely young goddesses.
The chinese ones get pelletized in a machine which spends the off season processing rat bait pellets. ;)
Nooo.. they are grown in Xingjiang province and picked by Uighur lasses

uighur.JPG

Back