Chinese Hops Bonanza.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got some Chinese hops even cheaper, you pay the postage to get rid of that shit from my house..

Otherwise when ever I remember to dig them out, they go to the bin.

Even tho as he stated in the other site "(I am banned on many sites)" this is all from selling crappy hops, he still tries to flog this shit. I don't know any facts but he must make some $$$ from it.

QldKev

But Kev these are not shitty Chinese hops...... these are secret hops from Kagaspangan.

Way, way better than all those other hops we chucked out.

untitled.png

life is too short to buy shitty hops.

Maybe the hops are from Greece?

Speaking of which, can I use Chinese hops in my expensive German Urn?

I think a lot of the confusion here arises from the original Chinese hops that were crap. Last season's buy actually aren't too bad, so far my latest Chinese SMASH with BB Pils and Danish yeast has been sampled by 2 visitors and quite positive comments. In fact I prefer them to the somewhat underwhelming Saphir I bought from Ellerslie, and they are grown in the Hallertau which ain't South East of the Gobi Desert last time I looked.

However as I understand it, GLS probably won't be using China again because with our good Dollar and increasing prices out of China, due to their crop now in demand from world brewers, Brazil in particular, it's now just as economical to buy direct from HD Or Nikko - however the Ethiopian stuff sounds interesting, who knows until we try some.

Some of the confusion may also stem from the fact that GLS is a bit of a nob jockey when it comes to dealing with critical feedback and his secret dealings with secret microbreweries who love everything he does secretly while he buys cheap hops from secret locations make people not want to bother.

I thought the judgemental reaction to the first buy when it was announced was unwarranted but Graham soon dug himself his own little sandpit.

I think a lot of the confusion here arises from the original Chinese hops that were crap. Last season's buy actually aren't too bad, so far my latest Chinese SMASH with BB Pils and Danish yeast has been sampled by 2 visitors and quite positive comments. In fact I prefer them to the somewhat underwhelming Saphir I bought from Ellerslie, and they are grown in the Hallertau which ain't South East of the Gobi Desert last time I looked.

However as I understand it, GLS probably won't be using China again because with our good Dollar and increasing prices out of China, due to their crop now in demand from world brewers, Brazil in particular, it's now just as economical to buy direct from HD Or Nikko - however the Ethiopian stuff sounds interesting, who knows until we try some.

Thats the problem with the Chinese hops, they range from "crap" to "almost ok", they are never "great". For the extra $2 per batch to try and get great / totally awesome hops from the correct regions I think it is worth the investment. I know some of the hops I have opened from Eliserlie have blown me away how great they smell. I spend the time to brew AG to make the best beer I can, if I wanted ok beer I could do kits and bits.

QldKev

I'm keeping my stale well-aged c-saaz hops for when I work up courage to brew lambics, faro et al.
Had to put marco polo to death at last years case swap for crimes against the brewing community though.

A mate of mine brewed a beer with a bunch of free Marco Polo (Columbus) from the first buy. He got them courtesy of a very disgruntled bunch of people who were going to throw them out.

I tried the beer and it was actually quite good. He is a skilled brewer - but the beer did taste bloody unusual.

The words 'Pepper, pepper and more pepper' spring to mind. He made the hops work in the beer - but it was weird.

To anyone contemplating this 'Bonanza' I would say pick a neutral hop - like the Chinese Saaz and anticipate that you get what you pay for, sample other varieties and you're going to have to experiment with these things to find what works. I guess with a bulk volume you will have plenty of batches to trial till you find something that works.

Personally, I'm happy to take less risks and buy Kiwi and Yankee hops direct while our aussie $ is high - no point on the Chinese stuff in my humble opinion as they have a way to go in the hop growing stakes but each to their own.

You will definately have a brewing adventure with them!

Hopper.

Edit - speeling

Latest posts

Back