Chinese Hops Bonanza.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to get the low AA hops in bulk. When ya putting 100g of Saaz into a 16L batch it doesn't last long.

Didn't even get to the beer, pulled about 10kg in total out of the cooler at about 12-18 months old and binned them all. Any butyric acid is bad by the way!

Scotty

Please explain mate? I have hops that are well over a year old in my freezer. I have weird and unexplained twitches from time to time but I deal with it. I just googled butyric acid and lost interest.

Is that the stuff that makes Parmesan in a can smell like spew?

I'm nearly out of my 2006 Clusters, it will be a sad day once they have all gone.

I must like cheese?

QldKev

the best coopers clone i ever made was with 5 year old POR from Kevs fridge.

all good fun and all but I'd take Scotty's word on brewing over many others on here.
No offence to anyone intended but running a brew pub and from the BJCP sessions I attended at his pub I did get a feeling he knows what he is talking about.

Hmm.
Hoping my hops are fine, vacuum sealed and in the freezer.
Worst case scenario I'll just blame it on old hops :)

Please explain mate? I have hops that are well over a year old in my freezer. I have weird and unexplained twitches from time to time but I deal with it. I just googled butyric acid and lost interest.

Heres a linkie ... Cheesie Hops

I use the test of opening bag, do the hops smell fresh and resinie? Yes, keep. Smell old, dull and at worse cheesie, to the bin. Yes they are type 90's and the pelleting helps to protect the hops, but why go to all that effort and use a few $$'s worth of old hops. Bit like making a sandwich with stale bread ...

Scotty

Any chance we can get anymore of these?

Also seems that paying a premium for hops that are "guaranteed" to be new season and fresh from Australian retailers could also be a recipe for disaster! especially when stored for 18 months??

Bring back the Chinese hop buys ($10/kg)

YAY

cheers

the_new_darren

Daz makes a good point, if the Bulk buy on the other forum can come up with some genuine new season hops from China, we could be in for a pleasant surprise - but if they palm Graham off with the last season unsaleables, then same old same old .

Edit; we are up to post 51 with just pure spec, why not put money where mouth is, actually order a kilo and try it out and post useful feedback, worst case scenario lose $20 oh the humanity

EVen cheaper.

He should call them "Sweatshop Hops"

I bought some Saaz off a guy in Tasmania called Xi.

Great hops. He also does a mean Wombok.

Heres a linkie ... Cheesie Hops

I use the test of opening bag, do the hops smell fresh and resinie? Yes, keep. Smell old, dull and at worse cheesie, to the bin. Yes they are type 90's and the pelleting helps to protect the hops, but why go to all that effort and use a few $$'s worth of old hops. Bit like making a sandwich with stale bread ...

Scotty

Cheers for the link, mate.
I haven't noticed any cheesy aromas yet. I keep mine wrapped up tight in airtight containers in the deep freezer.

I've got some Chinese hops even cheaper, you pay the postage to get rid of that shit from my house..

Otherwise when ever I remember to dig them out, they go to the bin.

Even tho as he stated in the other site "(I am banned on many sites)" this is all from selling crappy hops, he still tries to flog this shit. I don't know any facts but he must make some $$$ from it.

QldKev

I've got some Chinese hops even cheaper, you pay the postage to get rid of that shit from my house..

Otherwise when ever I remember to dig them out, they go to the bin.

Even tho as he stated in the other site "(I am banned on many sites)" this is all from selling crappy hops, he still tries to flog this shit. I don't know any facts but he must make some $$$ from it.

QldKev

I will have them for free and make a great beer because its not about the product its about the ability of the brewer ;)
Nev

Latest posts

Back